Ziggy's Training -not Responding To Me

Zig and I had a good weekend behaviour and training wise.

We went to a doggie birthday party and he was really good. Although some of the other dogs were off lead, I kept him on lead (a double length lead). We did go for a big walk and I let him off to have a swim.. That's when he met an older Stafford boy and the two had a great time swimming together.

I limited his off lead time and I really think it made a difference. His excitement leave was nowhere near why it would have been if he had been totally off lead and allowed to just run around...

Today at training he was good but our time training was shorter than usual as his attention seemed really off today. So we just went for a long walk and practiced loose lead walking, with him beside me..

We did hang around and watch the others train but he seemed content to do really basic stuff..

It is good when others notice his improvement and our trainer said again today how far he has come..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, it feels good at the moment.. We are taking baby steps forward and forward and forward..

He has had a couple of boring days as I have been really busy with work... No work makes Ziggy a naughty boy.. Well not really, he is just bored and the little bits I have been doing with him are not enough, when he is used to so much more attention and training time.

I have set my alarm for half an hour earlier and moved y client appointment back an hour tomorrow so we can go for a good walk and get some external training time with bigger distractions in..

We didn't have such a good training session today and it was my fault, not his...

He was being a bit pushy and I pulled him up for it but then he just kept going for the other dogs again..

Even taking him out of the group and training away didn't make any difference...

I think because I was so tired and just not into it today he picked up on it..

So we came home and I kept him in the front yard while I washed the car.. I got him to bring me the wash cloth and with a bit of encouragement he did it.. All he really wanted was the hose..

So to make up for training after we washed the car, he got a little hose down...

He is sound asleep now.. So I can relax for a while..

Ups and downs a bit, staffyluv - but the trend sounds as though it's still up - and you and Ziggy seem to be tuning in to each other a lot better now - to the extent that you know when you're on a loser, and can quite before things go really belly up. :) And then the recovery to a pleasant interaction at home. Hang in there!