Ideas To Make Sally Eat Her New Black Hawk

Also, bitches can get itchy 'bits' and scooting/scratching may also be an indicator of a urinary problem, or an itch caused by urine not draining away, or a vaginitis ..scooting may also feel necessary to a dog if they feel 'dirty' after toileting.......

I don't agree that adding dry is better than completely raw for anal glands, however if you want her to eat the Dry food then you will just have to ride it out with her, as Ams says be tough with her.

What was her normal evening meal prior to introducing dry?

Thanks everyone for the tips.

She eats raw oats for brekky, and I was giving her a cheaper dry(smallish amount) mixed with Kangaroo or beef mince.I regularly get her meaty lamb bones as a change.

I think she might just like rubbing her bottom :laugh: as she did it again breifly at a walk this pm/

Re: other dogs, no we haven't, and any that come over she will let them eat her food :(

I will try the starve thing( hope hubby and kids don't sneak her food!) for a little bit and if the sardines don't work I will donate it!

\BTW, how long does it last...its a very BIG bag!

It is good for 18 months from the date of manufacture & it would have been very fresh when you got it if it was in the new look bag. I don't have any other suggestions except for what has been made, like sardines, mackerel & just not giving in to her. Just give her little bits at a time, & try making a game out of it, like throwing it on the floor. It's worth persevering with...I wouldn't give up just yet. I havn't personally come across this problem with BH, but like all kibble, I am sure there will always be some dog that will turn it's nose up. Good luck & don't give up just yet, the bag is good for 18 months if kept in a fairly air tight container.

Also, bitches can get itchy 'bits' and scooting/scratching may also be an indicator of a urinary problem, or an itch caused by urine not draining away, or a vaginitis ..scooting may also feel necessary to a dog if they feel 'dirty' after toileting.......

Sounds like it, more of a wipe :) Thanks

I don't agree that adding dry is better than completely raw for anal glands, however if you want her to eat the Dry food then you will just have to ride it out with her, as Ams says be tough with her.

She eats raw oats for brekky, and I was giving her a cheaper dry(smallish amount) mixed with Kangaroo or beef mince.I regularly get her meaty lamb bones as a change.

I think she might just like rubbing her bottom :laugh: as she did it again breifly at a walk this pm/

Re: other dogs, no we haven't, and any that come over she will let them eat her food :(

I will try the starve thing( hope hubby and kids don't sneak her food!) for a little bit and if the sardines don't work I will donate it!

It is good for 18 months from the date of manufacture & it would have been very fresh when you got it if it was in the new look bag. I don't have any other suggestions except for what has been made, like sardines, mackerel & just not giving in to her. Just give her little bits at a time, & try making a game out of it, like throwing it on the floor. It's worth persevering with...I wouldn't give up just yet. I havn't personally come across this problem with BH, but like all kibble, I am sure there will always be some dog that will turn it's nose up. Good luck & don't give up just yet, the bag is good for 18 months if kept in a fairly air tight container.

Had some success!

My daughter hand-fed her a bit when she was going to bed and realised she wouldn't get anything else! She then ate the whole bowl! Sheena, is it a complete meal, that is no supplements needed except for the odd meaty bone?

It is a complete food, but yes you should still feed RMBs if you want a clean healthy mouth, and I believe dogs still need to be able chew and give their digestive system a work out the way it is designed.

Had some success!

My daughter hand-fed her a bit when she was going to bed and realised she wouldn't get anything else! She then ate the whole bowl! Sheena, is it a complete meal, that is no supplements needed except for the odd meaty bone?

So glad you have had some success. Yes, it is a complete meal, but I also feed a daily RMB like 1/2 turkey neck. At dinner time I add a bit of mince, mackerel or an egg. Not much, just enough to make mealtimes interesting for them. I also add a tablespoon of coconut oil or a little high strength fish oil, only because they swim daily in the pool which plays havic with their coats. The oil helps to counter this. They love their BH so much, I use it for clicker training....just the right size & doesn't dirty the carpet :thumbsup: