Bitch On Antibiotics And Runny Puppy Poo

Seita

This is my first time posting in the breeders section so please be nice. My bitch is on antibiotics (she had a nasty fever a few days ago and the vet doesn't want to take chances that it is anything more serious) and now my 16 day old pups have been getting random bouts of a very yellow runny diarreah type poo. The vet said if they get it quite bad to supplement but not to worry too much if it's not bad. However it's incredibly messy and I'd love to know if there is anything I can do to stop the runny poos or how I can best keep the puppies cleaner? We've had 2 bouts of this poo and both times I've had to pretty much wash all the puppies even though it only seems to be one puppy (different ones each occasion) that are getting the poo! This is my first litter so I'm new to all this!

Get the puppies straight onto Protexin (you can get this from your vet or online) liquid form would be most suitable at their age...it's expensive but it's liquid gold in situations such as this :)

Yes to the protexin. Or, as I used with my last litter when this happened to us, Impact Colostrum Supplement by Wombaroo. If you can tube feed give a little milk replacer mixed with the probiotic. If you don't know how to tube you can bottle it in, or make it thick like a paste and smear it onto tongues or just inside their mouths.

Some of either product to the bitch as well may assist.

You can't use protexin with some antibiotics so yoou may not be able to give it to mum.

I had the same thing happen with my babies. Mum started losing pups at 7 weeks and she mananged to have 2 delivered by c-section almost at term.She also had to be de-sexed because of the state of her uterus. She was on antibiotics to prevent infection so the poor babies had very liquid, yellow sticky poo. One boy was much worse than the other. I found smearing their legs with a thin smear of vasaline helped prevent the poo sticking, and also around their bums and up the underside of the tail. Baby wipes were very effective in cleaning the babies - get thick one that are pleasantly scented. Encourage mum to clean- my girl was obsessive so that was a great help. One little fella developed quite a sore/scalded bum so we used sudocream around that and it helped greatly.

My vet's advise was the same as yours, as long as they were drinking okay and were hydrated they would be fine.

Pug puppies are very, very small and probably the only way I could have given them protexin would have been in the paste form. Just a drop on the tongue. I found when I have used the paste I needed to put it into a smaller syringe to get an accurate dose.

This is great info to know :thumbsup:

I have heard some breeders give a probiotic to puppies when weaning. Others I have heard give some natural yogurt. Does anyone do this?

If you use a probiotic - which do you use? Is Protexin better to use for dogs and puppies than Inner Health Plus?

Thanks so much for the replies! I've ordered some protexin for the pups, although the poo hasn't reappeared again and we've only got another couple of days left on the antibiotics for the mum. Fingers crossed that's the last of the poo!

I use Protexin for older (weaning age) pups and adults. I use Impact for tiny pups.

We are in a similar situation with our one and only bub from Ruby. Ruby has just finished her antibiotics and pup is three weeks old on Thursday and has somewhat runny poos. We have Impact here, we were going to get some Protexin but would you use Impact instead at her age? Before the antibiotics, pup was constipated.

Yes I'd use Impact if that's what you have. Even Yakult, although mind it's a low sugar variety.

I love Impact though. :D Our last litter mum had no milk o start with and pups got limited colostrum. They never missed a beat with Impact added to their tube feeds. Then when milk arrived after a week we were flooded and she got mastitis! So ABs and yep, runny icky poos. So back on Impact and all good. Mum got Protexin during and after ABs. Some say don't bother giving them during as the ABs will kill the beneficial bacteria anyway, but my vet is adamant that Protexin be given during the course and we've had great results and fast recoveries.

Yes I'd use Impact if that's what you have. Even Yakult, although mind it's a low sugar variety.

I love Impact though. :D Our last litter mum had no milk o start with and pups got limited colostrum. They never missed a beat with Impact added to their tube feeds. Then when milk arrived after a week we were flooded and she got mastitis! So ABs and yep, runny icky poos. So back on Impact and all good. Mum got Protexin during and after ABs. Some say don't bother giving them during as the ABs will kill the beneficial bacteria anyway, but my vet is adamant that Protexin be given during the course and we've had great results and fast recoveries.

Yeah, our vet said to wait until the ABs were finished before starting on Protexin! :laugh:

Rosie was similar, she was pretty early and by caesarean so Ruby had very little milk so we used Impact then on to Wombaroo. Ruby's milk finally came in and she had the start of mastitis in four so on to the antibiotics she went. Ruby is fine now, and apart from the runny poos, Rosie is doing well.

How much would you give the pup, and how often?