Kids

ludwig09

Hi all,

We have visitors coming to stay for easter and they are bringing their two kids 6 and 8 yrs old. My two dogs who live inside with us do not get much exposure to children apart from seeing them in the street etc when we go for walks. One of them used to growl at kids a lot but that has pretty much stopped and i only find they react to kids if they are running or screaming. The relatives coming to stay are all scared of dogs so im worried that my two will pick up on this and react. How do we get everyone to stay in the one house in harmony? Is there a certain way to introduce the dogs to people who are scared of them? Any suggestions?

We do have adult friends stay regulary and everyone gets along fine and its no dramas. This is just the first time we have had the kiddies stay.

Thanks for reading.

In fairness to all I'd be asking the guests to stay somewhere else. Kids that are afraid of dogs and a dog that is not fond of children is pretty much a recipe for disaster just waiting to be cooked.

I have no answers for that

We have to put our dogs outside when the family come as they have a fit

the kids freak the parents freak more and the dogs have to go outside and

wonder why they arent allowed in to see the visitors. Frustrates me no end

If the kids are scared of dogs they are gonna freak out anyway I would imagine

which could stress the dogs out

Is there any way for the time they are there to section of parts of the house that the dogs have access to

that the human kids dont have access to?

In fairness to all I'd be asking the guests to stay somewhere else. Kids that are afraid of dogs and a dog that is not fond of children is pretty much a recipe for disaster just waiting to be cooked.

Yes that was my thoughts too. It would be a whole lot easier on everyone if they stayed somewhere else.

If they must stay with you, take the oppertunity to teach them to love the dogs.

I'd maybe concentreate on a bit of one-on-one (supervised of course) ... kids that are all ready scared, if confronted with multiple dogs often start pannicking because they can't keep track of them running around, can't watch them both at once etc.

Little kids love dog tricks! If the dogs are good about feeding maybe get the kids to take turns "helping" you feed them, show the kids how to to ask them to sit and wait etc. They feel super proud of them self if they can get the dog to do what THEY want, and feel a little more in control.

Good luck with it!

I have no answers for that

We have to put our dogs outside when the family come as they have a fit

the kids freak the parents freak more and the dogs have to go outside and

wonder why they arent allowed in to see the visitors. Frustrates me no end

If the kids are scared of dogs they are gonna freak out anyway I would imagine

which could stress the dogs out

Is there any way for the time they are there to section of parts of the house that the dogs have access to

that the human kids dont have access to?

The scenario you have mentioned above is what i envision happening. I do like the suggestion of trying to section the house off as i wouldnt feel right to locthem outside for 4 days. Im trying to work it all out now so that when it unfolds im not stressed, which as we know will stress the dogs, which will stress the kids, which will stress the parents...........lol

Eep! Doesn't sound like a fun Easter break at all. I guess you'll have to put the dogs outside if the kids are that scared...although I must admit that if they were coming to stay at my house I would probably tell the kids to ignore the dogs and it would be business as usual. If the parents had a problem with that, I'd suggest a hotel! After all, as long as the dogs are trained and friendly, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to stay in their own house as they normally would.

I am kind of mean like that...

Agree, they need to find some alternate accomodation. If they're all scared of dogs, why would they think it's Ok to stay over and have you tip toe around them? Would they camp in a lion park? Maybe meet them for lunch somewhere or arrange a picnic to catch up with them.

Don't forget if the family come over at all, they cannot bring chocolate, very difficult for kids to comprehend at Easter, but dogs and chocs don't mix.

Scared people often look like aggressive people to dogs - they stiff up, they stare etc. Either they stay in a hotel or your dogs stay with someone else. What will happen if you need to pop out and they're st home alone with the dogs.

I have two dogs , one is fine wit kids but my girl isn't. She stays at cosmolo's for a special holiday when I have visitors. That way everyone is safe and happy.

Also, dogs might react very differently to kids in your house, staying over, going to the loo at night etc versus kids in the park. If they are going to stsy over I'd suggest the dogs sleep in a crate or a locked room. If they aren't used to other people at night they might react if someone gets up st 2am fir a loo run.

urghhh i feel you pain. my partners nephew is 'terrified' of dogs... i put it like that cause im almost certain he does it to get a reaction from his parents, which he almost always does. it gets a bit ridiculous at times. kid comes over, dogs outside, kid wants to play outside, dogs inside, kid needs a drink, dogs outside, kid playing again dogs inside, kid needs to pee, dogs outside. IT DRIVES ME NUTS. one day i'll get entirely sick of it and say no. you want to be in my house you deal with my dogs. they both LOVEEEEEE kids and get on with his brother like a house on fire! i say- tell em to deal with it (with supervision of course) crate or shut dogs up at night and if they don't like those rules. HOTEL

It can be done ,set the rules from day 1.Kids get kids time dogs get dog time .

The kids have no reason to act silly if the dogs are separate

This is when crate trained dogs become a blessing as you can shut them in a room & be safe from all .

Obviously depending on there normal routine ie house dogs etc etc it will be a big change for them especially if the weather is crappy & everyone is house bound

I presume you have discussed the dog issue with them ?? * if not i would be bringing it up now so any issues can be sorted sooner than latter .

I have one rule... if you don't like dogs, don't stay here. My dogs are my family. They live here permanently. Visitors don't have the right to dictate the rules in MY house.

Why should your dogs have their whole world turned upside down just so your relatives have somewhere cheap to stay?

T.

I have one rule... if you don't like dogs, don't stay here. My dogs are my family. They live here permanently. Visitors don't have the right to dictate the rules in MY house.

Why should your dogs have their whole world turned upside down just so your relatives have somewhere cheap to stay?

T.

Good rule T, I agree. If I were visiting and was scared of dogs I'd arrange to stay in a hotel myself.