Dog Scared To Make A Mistake

The only thing I use a NRM with is weave entries (not for anything else in agility), I use whoops in quite an upbeat tone and he comes back quickly and happily to have another go. Your body language is important too in how you act when the dog does ssomething other than what you want.

firstly because this dog has been kenneled and a "show dog" it is like reprogramming or 'patterning' someone who has had a brain injury and needs to start from the beginning again.

Sorry but this is not a great analogy.

Yep probably not the best analogy in the situation but difficult when as pointed out by myself and by another poster, hard to evaluate when sight unseen!

Most people however can relate to the "patterning" program in humans, hence the reason I used this, perhaps it is not as well known as I thought. We use a similar program to positively reinforce learning with our dogs and never use the word 'training'.

Having come from a rural background with a large pack of working dogs, as well as having shown dogs who were not even closely related to a working breed, competed in obedience and agility with a 'muttly',and been involved with service dogs for past 8years, I know only too well how a dogs temperament and abilities are closely related, I also know that like dogs there are different styles and beliefs regarding handling and outcome, and most of all a dog is definately a reflection of its handler.

Therefore I hope that Woodbyne takes everything on this forum with a grain of salt and uses what she/he feels best suits the dog, and has many hours of fun and enjoyment with this new life adventure.

The only thing I use a NRM with is weave entries (not for anything else in agility), I use whoops in quite an upbeat tone and he comes back quickly and happily to have another go. Your body language is important too in how you act when the dog does ssomething other than what you want.

Agree with this too - I've actually started smiling and laughing as a NRM......it keeps my body language really "soft" and Ziggy thinks it's a great lark to try again. It also helps you to not take it all too seriously!

My way of letting Sophie know she did wrong I just to stop and take away

My attention for a moment. No looking at her I just sort of shut down.... Then come back on track. She. Now likes your attention at all costs and will fight for it more. Before she was indifferent and could careless, making it very hard.

My attention for a moment. No looking at her I just sort of shut down.... Then come back on track. She. Now likes your attention at all costs and will fight for it more. Before she was indifferent and could careless, making it very hard.

And yet my dogs would feel this is the worst positive punishment in the world. Great way to shut my dogs down, especially before they gain some experience and learn that they get another chance to earn there rewards.

Cheers,

And yet my dogs would feel this is the worst positive punishment in the world. Great way to shut my dogs down, especially before they gain some experience and learn that they get another chance to earn there rewards.

Cheers,

yip - I used to do this to my boy (advised by an instructor) and he would shut down totally, distracted sniffing etc. Now I make "oopsie, let's try again" a game. He gets rewarded for coming back to try again and now he is so much more engaged. Greg and Laura Derret talked a lot about "screw up cookies" - if your dog makes a mistake, get them to do somethign simple (eg target you hand) and reward. If you make a mistake (let's face it, it is a wonder most dogs get around the course given our handling) then reward your dog for doing the right thing.

mmm funny when you read something days later you know you explained why badly.

sophie now goes from being indifferent to in your face slapping you physically and clawing at you in a hurting way... if you say any thing... she then will take off out side, never to return. you cannot verabise at all (i think due to her being misstreated). so i just have to end it the whole thing...other wise she keeps escalating and getting more in your face...

i couldn't think of another way to end it quietly... as unless you sort of end task she can not get back on track.... she is very much a dog of exreemes. i thought in the doggie world if she hurt another dog in play they would just walk off?

as far as i know of her background and woodbyne knows more than i... is she was locked in a walk in walk out stable yard... for most of her life. no training, no inside, no human contact and by 2yo had 2x litters of puppies to her brother. she came to us very scared (one of her sibblings was put down due to being so terrifed he injured him self trying to escape) under weight and a nervous wreck.

she has gone from a extremely nervous dog who would not wee or poop where you could see so she could eat it..and if you so much as looked at her while she was pooping she whirled around so fast she was still pooping to eat it. she had not even mastered come.

i am very open to ideas with her as some times she is a bit over the top.

but today for her i had a very big win... she came out with horse and cart... she ran about 1/2 km and then fell in the creek... :rofl: :rofl: accidentally really... then i called them back a few times as they were sort of heading like there were going to take on the sheep 600m away... so i bellowed loud so they could hear... (leo is partially deaf) and next thing she had nest in the tussocks and refused to come out. except when i went home then she had to try and beat me up the drive.

huge win tho, she gave up coming with the horse when the plovers attacked her... they never got her but far too close for her liking.... once.. its taken 12mo to get her over it.

sorry for the war and peace novel but the back ground stuff might give you some ideas in how i can do better....

Not that we can change the past, a reason why she is an EX Champion show dog, may help.

Did she "enjoy" the ring? Does she have a health issue ie hip or elbow, which causes pain.

I would treat her like an 8 week old pup and have fun fun fun.

Any chance of videoing the dog?

Let us know how she gets on.