Hydrogen Peroxide For Vomitting

I have a darling, sweet, cherub of an 8 month old pup here - Nova - who has a habit of ingesting objects. She has shown a preference to any sort of fluffy material - blanket (she was hospitalised for that one, but managed to pass it without surgery), dry bed, and most recently sheep skin (ugg boot..... expensive ugg boot....).

I've been reading about different vomit inducing techniques for dogs, and Hydrogen Peroxide 3% seems to be recommended most often.

I was wondering though, what happens if you dose the dog with the Hydrogen Peroxide and it doesn't vomit? Don't you now have a poisoned dog? Is there a procedure that you should follow if the dog doesn't vomit after being dosed with the Hydrogen Peroxide?

Just a bit wary about how safe it is to use - everything I've read has been positive, but I'm nothing if not a worry wort! :o

The only thing I have been told to give dogs to make them vomit is Lectric Soda found in the washing powder section of the supermarket.

At the time it was for a 40+ GSD x Collie Rough for eating snail pellets - made her vomit instantly.

What a worry if she is in to everything...good luck.

That's another option I'm looking at, but I the same concerns there - what if the dog doesn't vomit it up, will it cause problems? I've also read about the possibility of Lectric Soda burning the back of the throat?

I just know that Madam Iron Guts would be the sort of dog to not vomit up the lovely poisons I'm putting down her throat! (insert Mr Rolly Eyes here!) :laugh:

Thanks, other people have suggested the same, but I'm not comfortable in leaving her unsupervised in a muzzle. :)

That aside, I am still wanting to learn about any issues with the use of Hydrogen Peroxide that I need to be aware of if I ever need to induce vomitting - be it with Nova or with any other dog.

2 tsp of salt on his tongue will make him vomit. I learned this on here a couple of years ago around Easter time as well. Dogs (especially Cavaliers) will hunt out Chocolate and of course my Cav did so armed with the salt she threw it all up and had no adverse reaction to either the salt or the Choc. (Insert Wink)

Peroxide fan here - it also has numerous other uses around the house, with the kids and dogs.

50kg dog I used 20mls, then walked him around for 5min, then another 20mls and within 2-3min a vomit and the offending corn cob!

It sounds strange but it was a very gentle vomit, no major heaving etc - just a nice gentle vomit.

2 tsp of salt on his tongue will make him vomit.

I actually tried salt when she ate the ugg boot - but she didn't throw up (insert Mr Rolly Eyes again - I need him when I'm talking about Nova!). Only used 1 tsp though, so maybe not enough. I phoned the vet to then ask if I could give more, and the nurse almost had a fit that I had given her salt at all!

Peroxide fan here - it also has numerous other uses around the house, with the kids and dogs.

50kg dog I used 20mls, then walked him around for 5min, then another 20mls and within 2-3min a vomit and the offending corn cob!

It sounds strange but it was a very gentle vomit, no major heaving etc - just a nice gentle vomit.

Actually, yours is one of the experiences I read about that encouraged me to want to have Hydrogen Peroxide on hand :) But then I thought, what if she was dosed right up and still didn't vomit, and ended up poisoned instead? :o :laugh:

Last month I used it on one of my puppies, that lives with someone else.

He had eaten a whole packet of her pill !

Hydrogen peroxide can not poison your dog as it is simply water with an extra oxygen molecule.

Edited by SwaY

It must come with the name as my Nova also eats foreign objects at an alarming rate. Last time I tried the Washing crystals which have always worked with previous dogs but I had 4 generous attempts with Nova to no effect. It didn't seem to do her any harm, not even an upset tummy. My vet has given me a pill which you put in her eye for next time. Not sure what it is but it does work. he will only give me one at a time though