Low Allergy Lawn

Pugmum

Every dog we have had tends to chew their feet and scratch their legs etc. I have changed diets (we feed nutro kibble, raw meat, veggies, sardines etc but no dairy) and it still gets so bad you think they are going to chew their feet off. I have been dipping thier feet in calendula tea and rubbing it on legs - its not helping either.

So the solution seems to be to get rid of the lawn - its really more a mish mash of grasses and mown weeds anyway. But what to replace it with ? has anyone had any success at this?

thanks

Hi Pugmum,

If you haven't yet I'd recommend you do an elimination diet for 6-8 weeks...much cheaper and easier than replacing the lawn. If they're still itching then get them allergy tested, you wouldn't want to replace the lawn with something they're equally allergic to - or find out its the pollen from your next door neighbors gumtree thats actually causing the problem.

All that said, I've heard good things about the grass 'Sir Walter'. My siggy boy is allergic to couch and kikuyu grass (and sardines, pork & lamb), but we have an indigenous garden here so its not a big issue for us.

Good luck :crossfingers:

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

What you are describing MAY be a yeast infection that is made worse by the dog being on the wet lawn from dew.

The dog gets wet feet then licks them and starts a yeast infection.

The only way I can control the infection is to put the dogs effected onto the product Angel Eyes and after a couple of weeks on this product the problem disappears. It will often come back if the dog is continually allowed to lick it's feet from the wet grass.

Please be aware this may not be your problem but it can be in some cases.

If ur dog is allergic to grass pollens its breathed in and it won't help to rip up your lawn unless it's a contact allergy. My boys skin goes pink when he is bad ( touch wood it hasn't happened in months) and he has atopic dermatitis ( the breathe in kind) and food allergies. He doesn't have contact allergies

On a different note, Ive found Sir Walter to be MUCH more tolerant of heavy dog traffic, but they still leave tracks. I always seem to have to fence off an area to let it recover, while they make a new track somewhere else! And that is just ONE dog in a run!