Advocate

Hi all

The breeder we purchased our puppy from reccomended buying the large dog size advocate and syringing off what I need for my smaller dog as it works out more economically. Does anyone do this? How do I work out how much to give a little puppy?

If that is something you wish to do your vet the breeder would be the best person to ask about dosage advice. Would it really work out more economical when using for just one dog? I'd be curious as to how you would store the rest of the pipette until next application. Wether or not the product will diminish over time sitting in the pipette, would it dry out, or if just placing tape over the opening would be enough to keep it all good until next use.

It might be more economical, but it's VERY hard to get the correct dosage, especially for a small dog. Personally I would use the correct recommended size. It's safer.

I work in pet retail and sometimes if the pup is going to outgrow the 'size' very quickly, you can have a bit of leeway with a larger 'size' pack eg. If your pup is a large breed already at 8kg and growing quickly, it's not much use buying a pack of 'up to 10kg'. We would recommend the '10-20kg size' etc.

Otherwise we advise that sometimes you can single doses etc through your vet.

Where I work, it's not a common question people ask. Those that have are normally rescuers or multi dog house holds. If the breeder recommended Advocate you can still use it, just use to correct weight range. Another fairly popular one is Interceptor, that covers your intestinal and heartworm, Sentinal does the same except also covers fleas. If you just want to cover your intestinal worms for now you can use something such as Drontal or Endogard.

Edited by Ben and Jerry

You can use the big advocate and break it up. It is 0.1ml per kg bodyweight. I add a couple of 0.1's just in case thier weight has fluctated a little.

It need to be stored wrapped in alfoil and in a dark place and not over 25 degrees.

It is off label use so you need to decide if you wish to use it that way. I have an 11kg dogs and a 14.5 kg dog if they got their dose prepacked they would be getting 2.5mls or they get 1.3mls and 1.6mls instead. Less chemicals makes me happier.

Oh and I use a tapewormer only tablet as all the worms are covered other than tapeworms if you use the advocate and once again I don't think they need the double up of chemicals

Edited by OSoSwift

Hi all

The breeder we purchased our puppy from reccomended buying the large dog size advocate and syringing off what I need for my smaller dog as it works out more economically. Does anyone do this? How do I work out how much to give a little puppy?

I do this all the time. Having several dogs in care of varying ages/sizes it works out so much better for me money wise.

I also buy it online to save even more $.

How much does your puppy weigh?

If 4kg or less - give 0.4ml

4-10kg - give 1ml

10-25kg - give 2.5ml

I usually just pour it into a little measuring container or syringe it on.

OSoSwift can I ask where you buy your tapewormer from? I've been looking for it before I make the switch to Advocate but am not having any luck. Is it available from vets?

The staff at my local Pet Barn looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they stocked it. :o I asked after Droncit but I'm not sure if there's another brand too.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Paratek is widely available. We sell ours per tablet (a couple of dollars per 10kg dose by memory), which makes it an inexpensive way to cover tapeworm. Comes in bottles of 100 but unless you had lots of dogs to dose, would end up being a waste in that volume.

Sags

:)