Advice For Allergies

Issy

I was wondering if anyone has used or is using Allerpet "D" and if they have had luck with it - http://allergystore.com/petallergen.htm

I have a dilemma at the moment with both my guys being allergic to different things. My boyfriend is allergic to cats and dogs and suffers for days after contact (and no he can't even touch him) just by being in the same room sets him off. When he comes over we go sit on the balcony, even though I've vacuumed/cleaned etc and it sets him off for like 4-5 days and on occasion he's taken time off work due to it.

Now, I wouldn't mind trying the product but my Cavalier also has allergy problems right now, he can't do chicken/beef/lamb and he is on a strict diet of single fish protein. I don't want to compromise the result by using this product on him - I don't know if it will or not and few petstores I've asked haven't even heard of the product or anything similiar to it. We just started on the diet and he still has 5.5 weeks to go....I'm thinking it is best to wait it out then give it a go but I'd love to get some feedback on anyone that has used it.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Hi Issy,

Having a boyfriend who is so allergic to your dog must be a challenge! I haven't used Allerpet before, but do have an allergy dog who's been through an elimination diet. Definitely don't use the Allerpet while your Cavalier is on the elimination diet - its not worth it. If your dog starts getting itchy you'll have no idea what caused it and will have to start all over again.

Is that your pup in your avatar? Gorgeous!

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

Indeed it is a challenge! been about 5 months now and we are trying to get him used to it over time, he has contact with him about once a week and it seems to be working although very slow. He has tried like 5-6 different antihistamines over the past few months sadly they don't work as well. He is now just working on building up his immune system.

I think you are right with the Allerpet, I will definately wait for the period to be over because he does itch a great deal and there is a chance it could be environmental as well. The vet will be checking for that once the food testing is done.

Yes, that is Kingston in my avatar when he was a puppy :D

Indeed it is a challenge! been about 5 months now and we are trying to get him used to it over time, he has contact with him about once a week and it seems to be working although very slow. He has tried like 5-6 different antihistamines over the past few months sadly they don't work as well. He is now just working on building up his immune system.

For your boyfriend, try "Advanced Allergy Clinic". It's a different concept in allergy treatment but it is non-invasive. Antihistamines, nose-sprays etc were no good for me as they either didn't work or made my nose bleed. I went to one of these clinics and experienced success in quite a short amount of time. Worth trying, in my opinion.

Never heard of "Allerpet".

Edited by Erny

I googled and couldn't find such clinic, there appears to be one in Vic? If you could link the site that'd be great please.

Now, my little guy doesn't seem to be doing good on the new food. He keeps dry retching and vomited a little water earlier. Only been happening since yesterday and he's been on the food for 3 days now (and yes I've been mixing it with the previous food). He isn't doing it now at late night but he also didn't eat his meal tonight, he sniffed it and left it as it is. Should I keep trying to feed him or is it the food that is causing this? He is on a single protien diet, I'm giving him Taste of the Wild - Puresea.

I should mention he is currently on antibiotics and something called Cortef (I'm assuming it is for the itchiness).

Sorry Issy. I'm googling and came across a number of links to "Advanced Allergy Elimination" (wonder if they changed their name from Advanced Allergy Clinic ??) that are apparently now/were under investigation by AAAC :eek: .

All I can say is that my reaction to dogs cleared up very well after only two visits to the clinic and stayed away for years. I'd been thinking about returning for another visit as my sinuses are on the run (pun intended) again (although not specifically to dogs). It's been about 8 years approximately since I've been. I confess I'm disappointed that (assuming AAE is one and the same as what was known as AAC)they're not operating any more.

I do apologise if it seems I was about to give you a dud lead, but I honestly felt relief after the non-invasive treatment I received.

And in all honesty, I believed in their concept. It was a bit a long the lines of counter-conditioning. Sort of.

could your boyfriend try desensitisation? A friend of mind did it for a year as they made the decision to get a dog. She is now fine and they just purchased their second dog.

As for your dog I'd be contacting your vet regarding your dog not doing well on the food. I know someone that did kangaroo with sweet potato puree as the main diet. Keep in mind also it can take up to 6 weeks for previous issues to clear from their systems so it may not be the new food at all. That is why you have to take so much time on the single protein before reintroducing/testing foods.

Erny, that is super impressive, I will look into it and see if I can find the place you are refering to. If it worked for you then I'm hoping there is a chance it'll work for him, so thank you for the advice.

SparkyTansy, we actually have been considering desensitisation. Just wasn't sure if it worked or not, I've heard some people have done it for years and for some it didn't work as well. Good to know that it worked for your friend, it gives me hope!

Update on Kingston - he hasn't vomited again after that incident so I'm guessing it was just a one off thing? Problem is he wont eat the dry food (he's always been picky...), this is the second night he turned his nose up at it :( I didn't want him to go hungry so added like a spoon or two of tuna in the dry food and he ate it all. The main single source of protein is fish(salmon) in the dry food so would it be ok to add tuna to it? Or should I buy salmon and use that instead? I don't want him going hungry for that long in order to eat food, he can last 3-4 days without eating at a time...

Guest lavendergirl

I always add something extra to the dry food to make it more palatable. I feed a salmon based kibble and often add tuna or a sardine to it as well.

He seems to be doing good on the food so far. I don't know how but he manages to lick the tuna off and leave most the dry kibble, so I'm adding more tuna and he finishes it eventually :)

"he can't do chicken/beef/lamb "

I cant get past this line. Its amazing that dog breeders can breed dogs that cant eat even the most basic of meat - considering that they are carnivores. I imagine that you have done thorough testing, but its a shame that now your dog is restricted to veggies grains and fish.

Actually he only developed this in the past 6-8 months. He is currently 3 yrs old. I'm not entirely sure if he is allergic to the all three meats - all the trials I did were the ones with low allergy (but still had some grains/cereals in them) eg. Nutro (lamb/chicken and rice). So he could just be allergic to the grains and not the meat. I DO know that he is allergic to chicken necks though, because I gave him that entirely for a week (he loves chicken necks) and the allergies went through the roof. I still have to test lamb/beef but those I can't say because they were mixed with grains.

Vet has told me it could also be environmental but we need to rule out food first.

My breeder is great, she actually went to a lot of trouble to get lines out of Europe to breed her dogs, so I highly doubt that has anything to do with it.

"he can't do chicken/beef/lamb "

I cant get past this line. Its amazing that dog breeders can breed dogs that cant eat even the most basic of meat - considering that they are carnivores. I imagine that you have done thorough testing, but its a shame that now your dog is restricted to veggies grains and fish.

I wouldn't land all fault on the diet the ancestors have been on, although I do believe that does make a difference 'down the line'. I also think, however, that there must be something in what the protein sources (eg lamb, beef, chicken) are being brought up on in terms of diet; chemical/drug administration etc. Over time and generations, I can't help but believe this is an impact that shows up more and more clearly.

I tried Kangaroo meat a few times and he simply wont eat it. He needs to get to starving mode for a few days and then he'll eat whatever I put in front of him but I just don't like doing that. I know I'm mostly to blame for the pickiness but I can't help it :(

When I was in the US I tried raw, they were handing out samples at my local petstore and he absolutely loved it. He ate that for a few months until one day he just refused to eat it. After some research I found out that they had changed the formula and I'm guessing that was why. Anyways, I've since tried many other brands, including Barf (in all different meats even) and he wont touch it :(

Mason_Gibbs, did you mean Vets all natural mix? that is a raw mix isn't it? I haven't tried that yet, might give it a go in future once the allergies are confirmed.

I'm curious, is it possible to do a raw mix with fish of any kind?

I tried Kangaroo meat a few times and he simply wont eat it. He needs to get to starving mode for a few days and then he'll eat whatever I put in front of him but I just don't like doing that. I know I'm mostly to blame for the pickiness but I can't help it :(

When I was in the US I tried raw, they were handing out samples at my local petstore and he absolutely loved it. He ate that for a few months until one day he just refused to eat it. After some research I found out that they had changed the formula and I'm guessing that was why. Anyways, I've since tried many other brands, including Barf (in all different meats even) and he wont touch it :(

Mason_Gibbs, did you mean Vets all natural mix? that is a raw mix isn't it? I haven't tried that yet, might give it a go in future once the allergies are confirmed.

I'm curious, is it possible to do a raw mix with fish of any kind?

Yes the Complete Mix, it's a mix of veg, barley, oats etc with other stuff and you soak it and add meat in. I guess you could mix it with fish, email VAN and ask they are ver helpful

Hi Issy,

You can definitely use fish with the Complete Mix. Any choice of protein can be used.

I recommend small bait fish - economical, no large bones (chop up whole), a salt water fish and high in omega 3. Excessive amounts of freshwater fish can lead to thiamine deficiency due to the high levels of thiaminase in freshwater fish.

Regards,

Bruce

Thanks for the feedback, I will definately give it a go.

I'm having trouble with the dry even with tuna mixed in...he didn't touch it again tonight. Licked a little of the tuna last night and left it as is /sigh