Help Needed In Sa

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can recommend a dog trainer in SA who can help me get my dog to walk on a leash.

My dog is everything to me but I want the final piece of the puzzle that is missing - I want our walks to be enjoyable for both of us and I want to look forward to it instead of dreading it each day :(

My boy is a Labrador who is turning 9 in a few months and I have struggled with this for most of his life - he has gotten worse in recent years rather than better - the only positive now is he tires after 15 minutes and the pulling eases.

I had spinal surgery last October and this has led me to ask for help - the pulling is likely to rupture more discs and I do not want my boy at any point to miss out on his walks because I can no longer manage him.

I have tried various collars - chokers, halti's, harness and I tried group obedience but he is very reactive to some male dogs and training in a group is not for us.

If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who can help I would be forever grateful.

Thank you

I've heard good things about Bob Yeo of Canine Detection Service (www.caninedetectionservice.com.au), and also Mark Singer of Adelaide Canine Training (www.caninetraining.com.au).

I haven't met or used either, but they seem to come well recommended by shelters and private clients. I'm not sure, but I believe both are trainers rather than behaviourists, so if you want a behaviourist you may have to look elsewhere.

Mark has come over to help me with my dog issues and he's great - very helpful and sensible. I was very stressed when he first came here as my old dog had been attacked by a dog recently, and I was trying to peacefully introduce a new puppy and feeling very nervous and over-protective. He was very calm and reassuring.

I have also had spinal surgery (a spinal fusion in my neck) and I sympathise - yes it is important to take excellent care of your back and a labrador pulling away at you is a definite no-no.

I do use equipment to make walking my dogs easier on my (still fragile) shoulders and spine. I am using a harness with my 5.5 month old standard poodle puppy at the moment, but actually I've found the halti to be more effective at preventing pulling, and it has always helped keep my older reactive poodle under my control.

My puppy really hates it though - so I'm giving him a go on a front-attach harness and if he behaves we'll stick with that.

Hi There

I teach at Beachwood Dog School in Aldinga Beach www.muckypups.com.au/beachwood we do one on one lessons and also group classes.

If you are just after loose lead walking and manners lessons we can definatley help.

We do our private lessons either at your house or on our training grounds in Aldinga Beach. We train on 10 acres of fully fenced off land we also have seperate fenced off areas for off lead work etc so we are fully set up. We also have a trainer who does dog walking in her spare time if that would help you.

We are a reward based club and promote and sell Sense-ible front connection harnesses as we feel they are the best.

If you fancy coming down for a chat and a look around go onto our website and send me an email and i will tell you times etc.

Sales pitch over lol - just so you know you have options :)

Hi There

I teach at Beachwood Dog School in Aldinga Beach www.muckypups.com.au/beachwood we do one on one lessons and also group classes.

If you are just after loose lead walking and manners lessons we can definatley help.

We do our private lessons either at your house or on our training grounds in Aldinga Beach. We train on 10 acres of fully fenced off land we also have seperate fenced off areas for off lead work etc so we are fully set up. We also have a trainer who does dog walking in her spare time if that would help you.

We are a reward based club and promote and sell Sense-ible front connection harnesses as we feel they are the best.

If you fancy coming down for a chat and a look around go onto our website and send me an email and i will tell you times etc.

Out of interest, does you club have any data in support of the front attaching harness providing better results in teaching the loose leash walk over a prong collar?

Hi There

Out of interest, does you club have any data in support of the front attaching harness providing better results in teaching the loose leash walk over a prong collar?

I don't know about any data but Justice and I have had good results with the front attach harness. Of course it needs to be used in conjunction with training as on its own it won't teach loose leash walking. It does however prevent Justice from pulling forward like a freight train as it just throws him off balance and spins him around to face me if he does this. I also like that there is no pressure at all on his neck if he should pull (although he's pretty good now so this isn't really an issue any more). I have no objection to prong collars if they're necessary for a particular dog and the owner has been shown how to use it properly so as to prevent hurting or injuring their dog but I wouldn't have thought it would be suggested as the first port of call for most dogs?

If a club promotes and sells a front attaching harness because they are the best, I would assume they have tried and tested all the training tools to make that statement and was just interested how they arrived at that conclusion to promote the harness over other tools like the prong?

• 4 weeks later...