Sydney Dock Diving Open House

Hi All!

I thought I would re-post this info properly in its own thread, now that my membership to this forum has been approved....

If any of you have a dog (or dogs) that loves the water, or a dog that will do anything for its favourite toy, then you will be happy to know that Dock Diving has finally started.

In fact, Sydney DockDogs is having a "Soft Opening" on ANZAC Day. I apologise for the short notice, but I really hope some of you will come and see of your dogs love Dock Diving as much as mine do!

So here's the deal:

Where: 66 Terry Road, Box Hill, behind the Box Hill Lodge dog boarding facility

When: Wednesday April 25th, any time between 10am and 4pm

How Much: Cost is $20 for a jumping spot for 1 person and 1 dog. This includes 2 waves per dog, and each wave includes 3-4 jumps (so 6-8 jumps per dog, which is the max you really want to let the dog do).

If a handler decides to jump more than 1 dog, there will be a $10 fee for the second (or 3rd, or 4th!) dog.

The $20 also includes a delicious sausage sandwich and a refreshing drink.

What to Bring: Along with yourself and your dog, please bring the following:

-a towel, or 2 or 3

-a flat collar and non-retractable lead for your dog(s)

-your dog's FAVOURITE floating toy (cannot be edible or alive... yes some people will try anything)

-a pair of non-slip shoes that you don't mind getting wet (and from my experience, a change of pants, unless you like driving home in soggy clothes!)

I have allotted 50 jumping spots for the day. There are still over half of them left, so it's not too late to join in. All I ask is that you RSVP to my email address to book in a spot, just so that we have an idea of numbers for food, dock training time etc etc.

As long as you have a confirmed jumping spot, you can arrive any time between 10am and 4pm and you will be guaranteed to have a go.

Oh, and last but not least.... When it is not your turn on the dock, PLEASE KEEP YOUR DOG(S) ON LEAD AND SUPERVISED AT ALL TIMES, unless they are crated or in your car. It is also important to give other dogs space, as it is quite an exciting

environment and some of the dogs can get worked up. This will help us ensure the day runs as safely and smoothly as possible.

I look forward to meeting you and your dogs on Wednesday. It's going to be a fantastic day!

Kelly Messenger

[email protected]

Looking forward to it, I have booked my spot for my Lab boy, so see you on Wednesday. :thumbsup:

PS I am taking a long line to attach myself to the platform so I don't inadvertently throw myself off the platform when I throw my boy's retrieving toy :rofl: Hopefully I don't embarrass my boy on the day :laugh:

Sounds good. Can people come along just to watch?

What sort of options are available for the future for people interested in training for Dock Dogs. Will there be a weekly training thing like other obedience/agility clubs etc?

What sort of fees etc?

What sort of options are available for the future for people interested in training for Dock Dogs. Will there be a weekly training thing like other obedience/agility clubs etc?What sort of fees etc?

I want to come & watch as well. Is this possible? I'm happy to pay but my dog who I think would really enjoy this is in season.

Also, will the pool be open at any other times in future? Would love somewhere close to swim my dogs regularly.

Any other facilities in the planning?

Edited by Vickie

Also, will the pool be open at any other times in future? Would love somewhere close to swim my dogs regularly.

+1!

Unfortunately I can't make it... Have to work! But looking forward to getting out there in the future!

Hi All,

Yes, the pool will be open for regular training sessions in the near future, we just haven't decided on what day of the week yet! I will post on here when we make more concrete plans, but any ideas/ feedback would be welcome.

And yes, there is always a ramp for the dogs to get out of (or into) the pool. Sometimes it helps to allow a hesitant dog to initially go into the water via the ramp. Dogs don't have very good depth perception when looking into a pool of clear water, so going down the ramp builds their confidence very quickly. As soon as they figure out where the surface of the water actually starts, they usually have no problem jumping into the pool from the dock after that smile.gif.

I am really excited to see so much interest from people! This sport is going to be so great for Australia!

Of course anyone who wants to can come and watch on Wednesday! And bring your cameras!

What sort of options are available for the future for people interested in training for Dock Dogs. Will there be a weekly training thing like other obedience/agility clubs etc?What sort of fees etc?

I want to come & watch as well. Is this possible? I'm happy to pay but my dog who I think would really enjoy this is in season.

Any other facilities in the planning?

Hi All,

Many thanks to everyone who came out and supported us! It was an awesome day at the pool, and I'm pretty sure all the dogs had a blast.

Everyone was in great spirits even though we were surrounded by mud. The dogs didn't seem to care though, they were having way too much fun jumping in the water!

Dave, Tara, and I got some great feedback from the day, and it looks like plenty of people are keen to keep going with the sport.

Now we just have to get our butts in gear and start organising everything!

So, over the next few weeks/ months I will be corresponding via email to everyone who is interested.

If you did not give your contact info to Tara, and you have not already emailed me, please email me if you are interested in being added to our mailing list.

Cheers and I look forward to working with you all in the near future!

Kelly