Dog That Lack's Confidence?

I would like to know what happens if the OH takes Sonny away and you stay home with Stella. Interesting to see if it is Sonny going or you and Sonny going together.

My dogs are always together btw and I don't have too many dramas with them. Poppy cracks it if I am out at training and try and leave her in a crate. Herding is the worst.

All my BC girls have been 'keener' than the boys. They are pretty alert and not much gets past them. I guess I've always viewed this in a positive light rather than saying they were anxious etc.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point JulesP & one which we will find out on the w.end when we give that idea a go.Stella is very clingy with Sonny but she is also the same with my OH & myself, so we will see.

Right what you saying about the difference between the sexes. Sonny is so lay back & not nearly as driven as my girl. Everything Stel does is at 100 miles an hour & she is as keen as.

Nothing gets by her. I've only ever had one bitch before stella & she was not nearly as driven as this one. I think my anxiety levels have lessoned after posting my quest on D.O.L because there are quite

a few fellow DoLer's with similar problems as I am dealing with & they have overcome them with guidance & time. There are a lot of different things I want to have a play around with regarding

Stella's behaviour so we will see how we go. Keep you posted. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Kenz will shut down if walked by herself yet is happy to train by herself - go work that one out :rofl:. Having said that she will shut down when I take them both out as well for a walk so its not that different.

:rofl::rofl:

Hi BC Crazy,

Agree with the others, don't beat yourself up. The main thing is that you are aware of a problem & are taking steps to fix it thumbsup1.gif

Regarding her "edginess", I honestly don't think this needs to postpone any goals you have with her. If you want to do agility, find a trainer who is focussed on training with motivation/drive rather than than one focussed on technicalities or a club environment. If you train her right, her edginess need not be a factor. I would view training as a way to help any temperament issues rather than delay training because of them.

Re markers, I feel there can be more to markers than what has been suggested in this topic. There is a lot more to training well with markers than saying yes and rewarding. If you train them well, your dog will turn itself inside out to work at the word "ready" and will be quivering in anticipation of the word "yes".

Look for possibilities, rather than limitations. Anything is possible smile.gif

Hope this makes sense

Hi Vickie,

This sure does make sense to me. I have always thought with Stella if I can find an activity / job that she loves & focuses on I would be able to channel a lot of her edginess into something positive.

Stella certainly wouldn't fit into any group or club scene. She just wouldn't settle & she would be upsetting all the other dogs cause at times with certain dogs she charges at them. And also I think general obedience

would bore her to tears as she likes things at a fast pace. Even when I am walking her she is walking at a really fast pace & she seems to be so alert. She see's & hears the slightest things even if it is behind her she will

spin around in a flash.

Thats why I thought Agility would really suit her. I have no experience in Agility at all but it looks like a lot of fun for both her & I. It would stimulate her & she gets to focus & do her favourite thing "run".

I will have to look into this I think as I feel like idle time is just ticking by when she could be learning & I could be learning how to keep that active mind of hers stimulated. :)

Hi BC Crazy,

Agree with the others, don't beat yourself up. The main thing is that you are aware of a problem & are taking steps to fix it thumbsup1.gif

Regarding her "edginess", I honestly don't think this needs to postpone any goals you have with her. If you want to do agility, find a trainer who is focussed on training with motivation/drive rather than than one focussed on technicalities or a club environment. If you train her right, her edginess need not be a factor. I would view training as a way to help any temperament issues rather than delay training because of them.

Re markers, I feel there can be more to markers than what has been suggested in this topic. There is a lot more to training well with markers than saying yes and rewarding. If you train them well, your dog will turn itself inside out to work at the word "ready" and will be quivering in anticipation of the word "yes".

Look for possibilities, rather than limitations. Anything is possible smile.gif

Hope this makes sense

Hi Vickie,

This sure does make sense to me. I have always thought with Stella if I can find an activity / job that she loves & focuses on I would be able to channel a lot of her edginess into something positive.

Stella certainly wouldn't fit into any group or club scene. She just wouldn't settle & she would be upsetting all the other dogs cause at times with certain dogs she charges at them. And also I think general obedience

would bore her to tears as she likes things at a fast pace. Even when I am walking her she is walking at a really fast pace & she seems to be so alert. She see's & hears the slightest things even if it is behind her she will

spin around in a flash.

Thats why I thought Agility would really suit her. I have no experience in Agility at all but it looks like a lot of fun for both her & I. It would stimulate her & she gets to focus & do her favourite thing "run".

I will have to look into this I think as I feel like idle time is just ticking by when she could be learning & I could be learning how to keep that active mind of hers stimulated. :)

Stella and Bo sound like soul mates! :laugh:

Hi BC Crazy

I can really relate to your issues with Stella. I have a rescue BC x Kelpie with decent drive whom I struggled to cope with just this time last year. Bo was a very different dog to what I had been used to. He was high energy (still is) but it was manic energy and he was also very reactive to his environment, particularly dogs. I worked myself into quite a state over several months and eventually decided to send him back to rescue after trying several trainers and getting nowhere fast - my coping mechanism failed me!

Long story short, I re-adopted him (as my coping mechanism was failing me without him!), worked with a good behaviourist and then began training agility with Vickie who has posted on this thread :)

Agility has given Bo a positive and challenging outlet for his drive - he simply adores it and displays a good work ethic and motivation to work for me these days. Our bond has strengthened no end and my confidence in handling him has soared as a result of this training! If you are open to the idea, having a couple of agility lessons to trial your interest (Stella's too) could be well worth your consideration - it could be just the outlet that Stella needs. It's also ALOT of fun and you'll meet some really nice people :)

Bo was not(probably still isn't) the type of dog that could have been trained the foundation work within a group of other dogs and it sounds like Stella may be better suited to one-on-one training to begin with too. I can highly recommend Vickie :thumbsup: Training a novice handler AND dog is not an easy gig and I'd say Bo and I have been hard work at times! :) Bo has blossomed through this training - he is a joy to be with and train. He is a very contented and balanced boy these days. :thumbsup:

If I can provide you with any support or further information, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Despite all the stress you are under, try and keep the faith - I feel confident you and Stella will land on your feet just like Bo and I have :)

Vicki

I have pm'd you Vicki :)

Hi BC Crazy

I can really relate to your issues with Stella. I have a rescue BC x Kelpie with decent drive whom I struggled to cope with just this time last year. Bo was a very different dog to what I had been used to. He was high energy (still is) but it was manic energy and he was also very reactive to his environment, particularly dogs. I worked myself into quite a state over several months and eventually decided to send him back to rescue after trying several trainers and getting nowhere fast - my coping mechanism failed me!

Long story short, I re-adopted him (as my coping mechanism was failing me without him!), worked with a good behaviourist and then began training agility with Vickie who has posted on this thread :)

Agility has given Bo a positive and challenging outlet for his drive - he simply adores it and displays a good work ethic and motivation to work for me these days. Our bond has strengthened no end and my confidence in handling him has soared as a result of this training! If you are open to the idea, having a couple of agility lessons to trial your interest (Stella's too) could be well worth your consideration - it could be just the outlet that Stella needs. It's also ALOT of fun and you'll meet some really nice people :)

Bo was not(probably still isn't) the type of dog that could have been trained the foundation work within a group of other dogs and it sounds like Stella may be better suited to one-on-one training to begin with too. I can highly recommend Vickie :thumbsup: Training a novice handler AND dog is not an easy gig and I'd say Bo and I have been hard work at times! :) Bo has blossomed through this training - he is a joy to be with and train. He is a very contented and balanced boy these days. :thumbsup:

If I can provide you with any support or further information, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Despite all the stress you are under, try and keep the faith - I feel confident you and Stella will land on your feet just like Bo and I have :)

Vicki

I have pm'd you Vicki :)

Thanks, Vicki .... another Vicki! lol! If you tell me your middle name starts with an M and ends with an E, like VP's and mine, it's going to get really spooky! Have received safe and sound and have given you some further details. :)

Quick update regarding Stella for anyone who's interested. Over w.end did a bit of work with Stella using suggestions from previous posts.

Took both Sonny & Stella out walking, then OH took Sonny & I took Stella off in different directions, out of each others sight around the local neighbourhood without any trouble what so ever from Stella.

She did look back for Sonny & then we went on our way. She didn't look upset or nervous at all, which was great. Then we would meet up again without any drama. OH would Stella in front of Sonny & myself also

without a hitch. Going to continue this as often as we can for a while just so she realizes Sonny is only gone for a short time & then he comes back & that is OK. I have been doing some training with her in backyard while Sonny

is put inside for a while without an issue either then I swap them around & Sonny gets turn & Stella is inside, that's not a drama either so she is actually handling stuff much better than expected thus far even though it is all

pretty simple stuff, it is a start, which is great. Any other idea's will be greatly appreciated & we will give them a try also :) As time goes on I am going to have to up the anti bit by bit as well.

Edited by BC Crazy

:thumbsup: Yay! I think that's a lot more than simple stuff - and the nice thing is that you'll both be building confidence every time this happens - can only get better from here. Well done to you and Stella (and Sonny and OH for helping! :D )

Thanks Tassie I am pretty chuffed with Stel's progress too in just a short amount of time & your right I can feel my confidence starting to grow a little as you do tend to lose your nerve when things unravel.

Very lucky as OH was not a doggie person per say when we meet 17 years ago but it was a bit of a case of "love me, love my dog " :laugh: he just adores our 2 & when he is not too tired

from work ( he works 12 hour days, 6 days a week ) he will do anything I ask if I need help with our guys. I'm on a roll now, onward & upward from here with Miss Stella :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

I'm on a roll now, onward & upward from here with Miss Stella :laugh:

Great to hear, sounds like you & Stella are going to be just fine :)

Eta, your OH sounds like a real gem thumbsup1.gif

Edited by Vickie

I'm on a roll now, onward & upward from here with Miss Stella :laugh:

Great to hear, sounds like you & Stella are going to be just fine :)

Eta, your OH sounds like a real gem thumbsup1.gif

Yes Vickie, won't be trading OH in any time soon :laugh: I'm blessed. Will be contacting you in the near future regarding one on one lessons with Stella so I can start her off in Agility. :)