Decide, Neuter Or Not?

Hi Everyone,

I will be getting another puppy,a Cane corso.

The problems I'm facing is; dogs that are neutered will there physical apearance change? muscle loss etc.

Reduce Life Span?

Reason I'm getting the dog is for family pet and personal home protection.

Having browsed the net for a while,I havn't really found a straight forward answer.

I have been thinking to get him entire or neutered?.

Its up to you in the end, but if you are neutering try to wait until they have physically matured, I have heard this is very important in large dogs. My neutered male Dobe is still very protective, perhaps taller than his entire male brothers and same weight- He was neutered at 10 months as he had a retained teste but I would of neutered at 18 months otherwise.

I had my male Dobe neutered when he was almost 2yrs old. It has not changed his appearance or his personality at all. The only reason I had it done was because we were expecting a new, female pup and as she will remain entire we didn't want any 'oops' litters.

I wouldn't desex him at all particularly if you want him to guard. Either way you are purchasing a giant breed that needs training and leadership, that you need to do desexing or not.

I had an entire male Dogue, great home protection but an absolutely solid temperament, lovely natured dog. Never desexed.

I wouldn't desex him at all particularly if you want him to guard. Either way you are purchasing a giant breed that needs training and leadership, that you need to do desexing or not.

I had an entire male Dogue, great home protection but an absolutely solid temperament, lovely natured dog. Never desexed.

I agree with Nekhbet.

I had my male Dobe neutered when he was almost 2yrs old. It has not changed his appearance or his personality at all. The only reason I had it done was because we were expecting a new, female pup and as she will remain entire we didn't want any 'oops' litters.

Yes, well we are now in that position too.

Where I live, the local people won't even get out of their cars outside our yard because they are so scared of our dog, because even desexed he can tell when people don't think they should be at our house. We did do training to make him more reactive by getting visiting strangers to "skulk" around our place and then rewarded our dog for alerting us that there was someone there.

If you just want a dog to look intimidating and bark when people come to the house, then desexing shouldn't make any difference.

My female desexed labrador barks when people come to the door and would be intimidating enough to put off most opportunistic burglars or unwanted people.

Obviously a Cane corso, desexed or entire is going to be pretty scary to the average person.

It is very easy to train a dog to bark when someone comes to the house.

If you're after a serious protection-trained dog, then most trainers would recommend keeping the dog entire. For actual attack work, I believe entire dogs are favoured. Please bear in mind that if you have a dog that is trained to attack people, it has be be kept under certain regulations.

If you have a "pet" dog that attacks an uninvited person, it is up to the council as to the consequences. Hopefully they would be reasonable but there have been cases of dogs being declared dangerous for attacking intruders.

Are protection trained dogs, not trained to attack (obviously in the appropriate situation)???

Isn't that the whole point of getting a protection dog? The difference between a dog barking and carrying on (which most dog will do eaisly) and actually engaging in a confrontation?

Are protection trained dogs, not trained to attack (obviously in the appropriate situation)???

Isn't that the whole point of getting a protection dog? The difference between a dog barking and carrying on (which most dog will do eaisly) and actually engaging in a confrontation?

I have no experience in this but I always thought a protection dog was for protection.. If required/needed it could hold off an attacker that was attacking you... I would assume this would be more along the lines of detaining/holding the person doing the attacking..

I am thinking the average 'bad' person would probably run at the thought/sight of a protection dog... Hence the word they are to protect, not attack...

it is not attack work it is called the bitework component. Attack work is what backyard bogans do to their dogs by razzing them up and poking them with sticks. An attack is an uncontrolled scenario whereas bitework and protection are a highly controlled, well trained discipline. Don't cheapen the whole thing by calling it attack work.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but someone who is a RAAF trainer, was talking to me about bite work and I was worried about doing this with my dogs because of all the kids around here and that potentially they may muck around with my son, wrestling ect and the dogs would get the wrong idea? Obviously I don't know much about it, but I was wondering how the dogs make that distinction or are they not really trustworthy in that situation?

bitework in fact puts the dogs reactions under controlled conditions. They are trained how and when to exhibit their natural protective instinct. A properly trained dog is safer then any pet dog. I've seen dogs where drunks have waved their hands in their faces and despite the fact they want to react unless their handler says so, they sit quietly and calmly. Remember too regular training also makes for a calmer dog as they get to release all that energy and it's so rewarding for them.

As fun as it can be erin if you are not confident with the dogs or training you are better off not doing it. Many protection trained dogs live happily with a family but YOU as the owner have to be happy with the whole situation. Do a higher level obedience, tracking, agility etc with them instead and once you have that mastered try bitework down the track if it floats your boat.

Edited by Nekhbet

Well I'm on my first ANKC registered dog and learning a lot of new things that I would never have contemplated with my other pet dogs, but I think that sort of thing could wait- OH is very interested as a cop who likes the idea of being a dog handler one day, but I prefer more sedate persuits :laugh:

I have no experience in this but I always thought a protection dog was for protection.. If required/needed it could hold off an attacker that was attacking you... I would assume this would be more along the lines of detaining/holding the person doing the attacking..

I am thinking the average 'bad' person would probably run at the thought/sight of a protection dog... Hence the word they are to protect, not attack...

I agree & unless the dog is being used for showing/breeding, it should be neutered.

I wondered why my previous response didn't show up, seems the OP started the thread twice, maybe the mods can merge the two.

Edited by mantis

Hey Erin did you find that your neutered dog isn't as a filled out as your entire male?

Well I don't really know, but he is 2cm taller than the standard and the same weight as his dad (40kg) also he is only 19 months so he might get heavier. To me he looks fairly muscly

Hey Erin did you find that your neutered dog isn't as a filled out as your entire male?

Well I don't really know, but he is 2cm taller than the standard and the same weight as his dad (40kg) also he is only 19 months so he might get heavier. To me he looks fairly muscly

post-37184-0-63160500-1336434137_thumb.jpg

While I agree with a lot of the factual information I found that particular link to be rather disturbing and overly opinionated. There are valid reasons for desexing an animal beyond 'sexual mutilation' and turning your dog into a 'servile plaything' for Gods sake!

The other links are much more balanced though and well worth the read.

In regards to the OP; Personally, I wouldn't be desexing the dog before he is physically mature - if at all. If the breeder has a problem with this or is unwilling to negotiate consider about going elsewhere.