Trimming A Border Collie

Some trim ears but mostly just feet. There is a good aussie shepherd website on feet trimming will see if i can find it. Edited to clarify BC feet are trimmed in a similar manner.

Edited by ness

Do not trim like an Aussie except for the feet. Just trim around and under the feet, then the back pasterns to the hock to neaten them up but not short. The only trimming of the ears should be dead hair behind the ears that needs to be plucked out or removed with a stripping knife. That's it, you don't trim anything else.

Just the feet, around and under so they dont like they have snow shoes :) And neaten up the hock.

Behind the ears I usually pluck out that soft crappy stuf or sometimes if being lazy or shot on time I will use thinning scissors on it. Thats pretty much it though. I have seen some tidy up straggly bits under the belly but I dont know many that do it. I like the fact they are quite wash and wear :)

Just the feet, around and under so they dont like they have snow shoes :) And neaten up the hock.

Behind the ears I usually pluck out that soft crappy stuf or sometimes if being lazy or shot on time I will use thinning scissors on it. Thats pretty much it though. I have seen some tidy up straggly bits under the belly but I dont know many that do it. I like the fact they are quite wash and wear :)

Some trim the chest and belly in the US and they look weird like sculptures. It is never done here. The only time I have ever trimmed belly coat or feathering is if it starts to drag on the ground :eek: , then it is trimmed to give about 1cm ground clearance but carefully blended so the cut hair isn't obvious.

It is not a look that I am a fan of but I have seen a couple with it done.

I used to give Ricky a bit more of a tidy up but he was just a pet and it was as you said - dragging on the ground. I was forever removing sticks and burrs from it. So I just used to take a bit of length off of it and get rid of the bits that were gross from dragging through dirt, sticks and mud.

I think after reading this thread I need to give Cole a tidy up - he has ugg boots :rofl:

Keep his toes warm for winter. :rofl:

If I'm not showing I can be slack about feet but try to trim under the paws if the weather is wet to avoid wet paw prints all through the house.