Dog With A History Of Nipping Young Children

Just a curious question, I came across a post on one of those awful FB Pet pages where an owner is trying to find a home for her Amstaff x bitch because she has been nipping her young children and has started drawing blood. Many people have recommended that she contact rescues in her area and it made me wonder if rescues would take on a dog that has been nipping/biting children?

Personally no I would not. I would suggest if she wanted to keep it that she seek a professional behaviourist who is experienced with this type of behaviour. Otherwise, if the owner does not feel she can keep the dog then she should do the responsible thing and PTS.

If it was my own dog I'd want to know if this was playful 'mouthing' or if the nipping is out of fear or aggression.

If I was rescuing it - I'd probably PTS. There's too many good Amstaffs and Pits out there and even if it was a mouthy thing how can you re-train this behaviour without putting children at risk?

The last thing our breeds need is more bad publicity. As sad as it is you've gotta think about the bigger picture.