What Breed?

PolitePaws

Hey Everyone,

I was hoping to use everyone's combined skill and experience to offer opinons on what breed our current foster puppy is. She came into my care at 6 weeks of age and is now 6 months. She has behavioural issues that have been apparent since 6 weeks of age, and as such is not suitable for re-homing as yet. And by the looks of things we may never be able to give her up as she is growing on us ;p Below are pictures of her as she has matured...

Some physical attributes that are not shown very well in pictures are her very long legs, her very deep chest, excess skin around her neck and shoulders, and the fact her head almost come to a point at the back.

Cheers in advance!

Lisa

post-41198-0-07328000-1336837502_thumb.jpeg

post-41198-0-44149400-1336837509_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Husky and kelpie?

I would hazard a guess that you might have been told or thought saluki cross as a youngsetr due to the grizzle/agouti colouring? But structure and physical features don't fit. Colour is not a great guide when picking breeds, and although we feel it gives us obvious clues it can be very deceptive and should be considered last

Hey everyone, Thanks for your responses so far :)

Some more info, she is 19kg, and stands 55cm at the shoulder. So he is already at the top of the range for Husky height at only 6 months. And way taller than a kelpie.

The Saluki was not just due to colouring but also due to similarities in her physical shape when younger. Her head shape is not right for a husky, the flatness on the top which almost has a peak at the back. What other breeds have this head shape? Now at 6 months she looks less like a saluki, but also still not much like a husky... I thought that putting this to everyone here may be more accurate than a DNA test ;p The photos attached are a saluki and Sally at 9 weeks old.

She does now have a double coat around her shoulders and rear (I know it's odd but the main body is single). And her coat is very soft and smooth, which is not what a husky usually feels like. Hence why I am wondering what may have bought in those modifications to the coat.

One other thing to consider is the area she was found was Maroubra in the eastern suburbs. This will impact on the chances of what cross she is, as it's much less likely she is mixed with a working breed.

post-41198-0-32093000-1336869432_thumb.jpeg

post-41198-0-47496700-1336869560_thumb.jpeg

I am having trouble finding good picts of stacked husky and kelpie puppies to compare... Dunno if anyone knows of any?

Also one thing is her hips are very narrow and she doesn't have much waist definition even though her weight is quite lean.

Oh if anyone wants particular photos like close ups or different angles I am happy to provide :)

Prominent occiput can come out in many breeds. Her skull really doesn't have any saluki characteristics.

It has a weight and substance very different, the depth is far greater, flowing into a substantial neck and shoulder, even at a young age. The front and shoulder assembly is more reminscent of a Gsd than a sighthound. She appears to have rounder style of bone in the legs, unlike a bladed sighthound type. She has a deepish chest yes, but a short loin rather than a sighthound longer and flexible one.

The muzzle is heavier and shorter, with much more stop. For this and the occiputal prominence I would be more inclined to look at breeds like the pointer, Gsp or weim. This could also account for the shoulder style, deep chest, fine coat and round bone.

Still thinking husky, or even husky x Gsd has gone into the mix. But to account for the additional apsects maybe the gundog potential could be looked at?

Edited by Alyosha

Sorry, I can't add pics from the ipad but can do links.

Side on husky pup:

http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/19087-husky-pup-lying

Pointer pup:

http://dailyoxford.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dsc_1470.jpg

She has semi erect ears too which may point to husky. And challenging behaviours can be husky too.

Re-reading above, dobe could be a very real possibility oo.

Edited by Alyosha

This dog is a mix, could have lots of breeds in it. You wouldn't say it was any particular breed, it was probably a really random mating. Getting a whole lot of people to tell you what they think it looks like is not an accurate way to determine what breeds are in that dog. Working breeds are common in all areas of Australia, and rare breeds are rare. Your dog is highly unlikely to have any saluki in it. It seems likely that at least one parent had some husky ancestry.

We call it a breed when it is a breed. otherwise, it isn't a breed, its across-breed dog. You couldn't expect your dog to be exactly like a husky because it isn't one. Breeding a husky with any other dog at all will result in a pup that has fur that is not like a husky. But it isn't possible to know what that other dog was. Once you start mixing breeds, the first thing you lose are the unusual identifying features of the breed, and the dog's appearance will tend to average out, maybe even giving some features found in unrelated dogs.

Alyosha thats heaps interesting. I agree that maybe the GSP, Pointer or Dob could all account for those features. As her deep slim chest reminded me lots of the greyhounds we used to foster, I figured there must be sighthound in there somewhere. But these breeds could easily be the contributing factor.

Arcane it's interesting that you should mention GSD, as I contacted the owner of the below pup and it is a GSD x Lab. This puppy is very similar to ours (Sally) in the physical shape and movement at 13 weeks old. I do have videos of Sally too, but don't time right now to upload. But can do later tonight.

Dunno if that link will work...

Attached is a GSD X Lab as well...

Alyosha thats heaps interesting. I agree that maybe the GSP, Pointer or Dob could all account for those features. As her deep slim chest reminded me lots of the greyhounds we used to foster, I figured there must be sighthound in there somewhere. But these breeds could easily be the contributing factor.

Arcane it's interesting that you should mention GSD, as I contacted the owner of the below pup and it is a GSD x Lab. This puppy is very similar to ours (Sally) in the physical shape and movement at 13 weeks old. I do have videos of Sally too, but don't time right now to upload. But can do later tonight.

Dunno if that link will work...

Attached is a GSD X Lab as well...

post-41198-0-62916300-1336873159_thumb.jpeg

What a cutie! Is she only a little thing?

Love the purple nail polish :thumbsup:

She is actually quite big as you will see from the post below. And she much preferred the purple nail caps over the black ones ;p I think she is a girly girl! They are soft paws, which are little caps you glue over the nails.