How To Correctly Size A Dumbbell

I am having trouble choosing a dumbbell for my Kelpie. I am feeling pretty stupid because I'm not sure how to measure his mouth.

I know I need to allow room for his lips in the width, but have been told it shouldn't be too wide either.

Also how do I know the best 'thickness' for his comfort? Or does it not really matter?

And last question(s) what material is best? Plastic? Wood? If so what type? And does colour matter?

Thanks in advance for answering my ignorance. :)

Medium size should suit a kelpie, my Aussie has a wooden one from obedienceproducts.com. I had a plastic one but gave it away as my girl hated it; she prefers wood. I painted the ends white as it seems to help with visibility in the grass.

I found that the chomping lessened once my dog gained more confidence in the exercise :) She still does mouth it a little but in my experience judges have been quite kind and haven't taken points off for minor mouthing. She still doesn't like plastic dumbells much, though!

In summary, try one and if it doesn't work, try a different one! :laugh:

Edit: Mine chomped the plastic just as much as the wood.

Edited by wuffles

I always used a wooden DB with my older girl until I trialled her in WA one year and the wind was so strong the DB blew back and needed to be rethrown. When I came back to SA I switched to a plastic DB :rofl:.

Thanks guys, I think I'll try a plastic one first, Reggie likes to chomp sticks...... That and they seem to be cheaper, so if it dies It wont really matter.....

One other question, should the dumbbell be used only for training the retrieve/ during the exercise? Or is it ok to play with it at other times?

Don't know about other people, but now that he knows how to do i-the formal retrieve, that's all I use the DB for. He has a variety, although his competition one is a wooden one (with chomp marks from where he holds it . He has lots of other toys of varying sorts which I use to play with him - and with those, I don't expect a formal retrieve - if he wants it thrown again, he either gives it to me or puts it down for me to get.