Introducing Rolf!

DSCF1072.jpg

And this is Rolf refusing to eat his dinner... I don't normally follow him around with his bowl but I wanted to show you how OFFENDED he is when you offer him food at times. "I'm not eating THAT!!" Could he get any further into the corner of his couch? Or any more upright? :laugh:

DSCF1032.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh he is so adorable! We used to have a quacky squonky moose toy...very popular! I understand why he felt the need to nab it!

And that last photo absolutely cracked me up - he looks sooooo offended! And the absolute perfect 'how dare you!' look aimed right at the camera...absolute perfection. :rofl:

"I'm not eating THAT!!" Could he get any further into the corner of his couch? Or any more upright?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OMG he is absolutely gorgeous

if he stands on his two back feet , he wayyyyyyyy taller than me :rofl:

love his jammies and such a sweet looking face

Actually T&S he's taller than I thought. I didn't measure him very accurately the first time. He's 91cm at the shoulder not 86cm. When we brought him home I held the tape measure up to his shoulder. This time I did it properly and stuck the tape measure to a door frame then used a flat ruler and knelt down to make sure it was horizontal.

On his back feet he's about 6 foot, more or less. He met our next door neighbour today, over the fence. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

New pics for Rolf fans :)

We're members of GDLAWA (Great Dane Lovers Assoc. of WA) and there is a monthly GDLAWA walk to promote the breed, educate the public and dispel any myths. Thirty or forty danes together is a sight to see! We blended into the crowd a bit at the million paws walk just due to the sheer number of dogs but at the monthly walks we tend to stand out like the proverbial...

Here are a couple of photos from yesterday's walk. One of the other dane mums is a photographer, hence the awesomeness of these photos compared to my happy snaps!

My OH held them while I went to say hi to some other dogs, guess where I was! (hint - check out their focus!)

RolfEllaSept2012GDLAWAwalk.jpg

RolfEllaSept2012GDLAWAwalk02.jpg

RolfSept2012GDLAWAwalk.jpg

Possibly my favourite ever Rolf pic! :heart:

RolfSept2012GDLAWAwalk03.jpg

And my happy girl!

EllaSept2012GDLAWAwalk.jpg

Simply Grand, worth researching VERY well first! They are not an easy dog, as adorable as they are. Although they are usually very eager to please they are not known as the brainiac of the dog world, and they sulk if you tell them off. Read the dane thread in Breeds 101, hang out in the dane thread for a year or so, and try to meet a few in the flesh, preferably a group of at least 4 or 5. You'll either be put off, or fall madly in love. :)

Playdates with other danes are a must as well, so you end up with a whole bunch of new friends. :)

Remember that these guys can walk up to your kitchen bench and look DOWN at it, or accidentally drag their lips across it (some are counter surfers and will simply take what they want.) Rolf also likes to check on us during the night, pretty interesting the first time I woke to a huge head hanging over me and sniffing my face before he dragged his lips across my cheek! :laugh:

Everything is amplified because of their size, although the bonus is that you don't have to bend to pat them! Vet bills are huge, pet insurance is a necessity and premiums are on a par with house insurance premiums! A small dog may chew the corner of your couch when a pup, a dane pup can demolish the couch down to its wooden frame.

Worst thing is, they have a short life span. Average is 8-10 years. :(

I researched them for about five years before I got Rolf, and although other dane owners spoke about the horse comments, I didn't realise exactly how extreme and unrelenting it was until we got Rolf, although admittedly he's a particularly tall dane. But they don't make t-shirts like THIS for nothing:

http://www.cafepress...on-white_tshirt

You go to a cafe and are mugged by strangers wanting a pat. Almost everyone you encounter will have some reaction, from the simple intake of breath through "OMG that's HUGE!" and "Look it's a horse" or "F'in Jaysus!" all the way through to having an extended chat while you are trying to eat your lunch. Oh, and you'll notice tourists change the focus of their camera from their spouse to follow you as you walk past! :laugh: People hang out of car windows and point, and heaps of people want their photo taken with him, or a photo of him with their small child.

Basically, if you value privacy and peace, and don't like being approached by strangers, then a dane might not be the dog of choice! If you are gregarious, chatty and sociable, then no problems (once you get used to it of course!) I just remind myself that the attention is on him, not me, and that these people will walk away and won't remember what I look like, but will remember the lovely big black dog. :)

Ooooh yeah, it would definitely be a far down the track thing! My whole household and doggy lifestyle have had to change just going from 5-7kg/28-35cm dogs to a 23kg/52cm one. I can only imagine adding one twice her size *eeep*

I've met 4 or 5 IRL and I can see that they are not easy to manage, and that you do have to be mentally able to control them as you cannot physically control them when they're that size. I have seen that they seem to bond closely to their people tho :)

There's no way I'd get one if I had other young dogs and didn't have lots of time for training/bonding.

It's funny, when I first got into dogs and found DOL I had such a long list of possible breeds, the more I've learnt and experienced tho the shorter the list has become, just because of my own preferences... So aside from what I already have the only new breed possibilities on my list ATM are Rotties and Danes. Plenty of years ahead tho :)

Actually your cafe comment just reminded me, last time I visited my sister (she lives in Coogee, Sydney) she was telling me about these 2 giant Dalmatians they often see at the cafes, who reacg about her chest height. I said are you sure they're not Great Danes? She said well they're white with black spots...

We happened to see them the next am at breaky, a male and female Dane (white with black spots but clearly Danes) chilling at their owners' feet. They got plenty of attention and were lovely and relaxed :) I did freak out a bit when a lady who clearly didn't know them let her toddler wander over and cuddle the dog around the head! The dog was fine, so chilled, but I did say to my sister, when you have kids don't let them do that!

Yes, just as well danes are chilled because there are stupid parents out there! Sounds like they were harlequin great danes, because there's no such thing as a giant dalmatian! :laugh:

Piccie of a harlie (perhaps you should show your sister!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dogge_Odin.jpg

Congrats on your new addition BTW, I didn't realise you had added a third dog to your pack. Had to read your comment twice and then saw the note under your siggie! Well, your dogs are getting bigger with every new addition so looks like you'll end up with a rottie next then a dane to complete the pattern! :laugh:

• 2 months later...

More pics for Rolf fans...and just because I like sharing them :)

The inseparable duo

DSCF1274.jpg

The GDLAWA fun day fancy dress competition: Rolf as Black Caviar (scuse the drunk jockey!) and Ella as 'Vampira'

RolfGDLAWA2012funday01.jpg

One I didn't post from the Million Paws Walk (Rolf on the right)

RolfandchiMPW05.jpg

Six and a half kilos gained so far... before and after pics below.

BEFORE (the day he came for a trial run with Ella and the cats, poor baby was SO skinny!)

DSCN2342.jpg

AFTER (2 months ago at the monthly GDLAWA walk)

RolfEllaSept2012GDLAWAwalk04.jpg