First Time Puppy Owner Books

Sayreovi

Just hoping I could get some suggestions.

My brother will be getting his very first dog in about 2 months time and I want to get him a couple of really good books suitable for newbie owners. I have no idea which ones are good now and don't have any myself :o

Please and thank you :D

ETA: Pup will be crate trained, clicker trained and fed kibble with bones so something that may touch on these subjects would be great!

Edited by tollersowned

You can't go wrong with Ian Dunbar's puppy book, available online at www.dogstardaily.com (and also in normal book form). Click the 'trainimg textbook' link.

I'd also suggest Patricia mcconnell's 'the other end of the leash'. It's not strictly a training book, but reading it made me a much better owner and it's full of gems as well as being an easy and enjoyable read.

I'm also really enjoying 'in defense of dogs' by john Bradshaw- also not a training book but again, I'm learning so so much and it has been very enlightening. Also well written, and the kind of thing I'm going to give anyone I know who's getting a new dog. Those last two are the kind of thing that make me so happy and thankful to be a dog owner :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just hoping I could get some suggestions.

My brother will be getting his very first dog in about 2 months time and I want to get him a couple of really good books suitable for newbie owners. I have no idea which ones are good now and don't have any myself :o

Please and thank you :D

ETA: Pup will be crate trained, clicker trained and fed kibble with bones so something that may touch on these subjects would be great!

Jean Donaldson's "The Culture Clash" - every time :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Forget about books when it comes to SBT's and pick the brains out of the breeder.

Agree with the above & common sense .

There are to many books out there that tend to turn new owners into confused owners .

Thanks for the recommendations

They will be picking my brain mostly and the breeders as well but think having a reference type book handy would be nice and my brother is like me, having info in front of me in book form is better than someone telling me :)

I am expecting several texts and calls during the first week asking questions :laugh:

I wasn't a fan of Ian Dunbar, it made me feel guilty that I was doing everything wrong, when I know now that wasn't the case at all. Some parts were helpful though.

I read Cesar Milan's books, which were not as helpful as I thought. The thing I took away the most from that is be calm and assertive (which is just good sense), and bully sticks are an excellent pacifier.

I like K9 Pro's blog as well, and their blog post about NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free), which is a great principle to live by, not just in regards to your puppy!

The best education I got about puppy preparedness was through the breeder, these forums and a friend of mine who is a competent vet nurse. Taking advice from everyday people who have lived similar situations to you is far better than what any book can offer.

Yep books are great but best idea is other people with experience get to a reputable puppy preschool, then onto a reputable dog obedience club where he will meet heaps of people with a vast experience range and also online there is a plethora of information on bringing home a new puppy, do's, don'ts and what to expect.

I say to people that it is exactly the same as having a baby in the house and only difference puppies have 4 legs, but other then that it is all the same, clean up the barfs and the wee/poo, feeding routine, understanding the puppy needs - just like human babies puppies cant tell you what is wrong. Your whole life changes forever once you have a baby and same goes for bringing home your first puppy :)

The most important rule is understanding the pack structure and being fair but firm.

So the best book on that topic would have to be Who's the boss by Val bonnie available from most libraries and I am sure it would be available relatively cheaply from here:-

http://www.bonnies.com.au/products/books

I doubt you'll read the most important piece of information that can ever be passed onto a new Stafford owner in a book and that is to introduce him only to dogs that are very stable. You want all of his interactions even as a young puppy to be with dogs who are more or less indifferent to him.

Control all of his interactions and especially when it comes to play. Staffords begin to test the waters from day one, the size up the opposition and test their strenght from a young age, they will also take exception to things not going there way.

I let mine play with other babies but I make sure that I am the number one thing in the world to them and I ensure that they recall.

Indifference and recall in a Stafford are my priority.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee there are so many great books... I do like Gene Donaldson & Karen Pryors books.. I have also just been given Wonderdogs Tricks & Training to read, Its a great Aussie book with lots of good stuff & easy to read.

Good luck