Dancing With Dogs Freestyle & Heelwork To Music

Kallistar, hope they haven't turned too feral while you've been away.

Schatzi'sMum, thank you. We will be at Michelle P's Qld seminar, I'm guessing BC4Me will be there as well. Wish I could find my MP DVD so I could watch it before we go! :mad

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schatzi'sMum, thank you. We will be at Michelle P's Qld seminar, I'm guessing BC4Me will be there as well. Wish I could find my MP DVD so I could watch it before we go! :mad

Cool, we are going to the Qld one :) I was going to get the DVD so I could watch it before we went, but I think I've run out of time on that now :(

Edited by Schatzi'sMum

Cool, we are going to the Qld one :) I was going to get the DVD so I could watch it before we went, but I think I've run out of time on that now :(

We'll see you there :thumbsup:

Hi MrsD, am home now and my boy cried when he seen me. The Feral one, well she was feral this morning bouncing with joy that I was home so I had to tell her to behave herself. Training will start on Monday which brings me to a question, I am going to do Money Money Money by Abba (but for starters this time fingers crossed) and am wondering what the feeling would be if I used the same costume as I did before. It comprised of a fluro vest, jeans, scruffy white runners and either a jumper or checked shirt,(ok some pple might wear this down the street but no way would I). Do you think that give me the costume points? Or would I be pinged for wearing street clothes?

Slightly off topic, not going to Michelle P's seminar, cant afford it after my month long trip in Qld as I did a trip down memory lane tracing my family history in and around the Atherton Tableland, Innisfail and down the coast. Missed my kids greatly, but it was worth the journey.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear that the DWD comp at the Adelaide Royal went well, so congrats to everyone on all your routines.

Not long now before the Melbourne Royal's comp too. Not too sure what I am going to do right at the moment as Tux's has got sore eyes due to some pollens, so for him it will be a wait and see thing. The young girl's routine is coming along nicely, so I am happy with it. All as I have to do is remember what I am doing and not fall over her. It is going to be another busy Royal for everyone concerned.

Any one got any brags??

Hi Kallistar, so sorry I haven't responded, I don't come into this section very often & only just thought to check back here. Glad to hear that your routine is going well, I can well sympathise about falling over &/or forgetting your routine because I do the later on a regular basis :laugh: . In fact at our last competition down the Gold Coast I walked into the ring with the steward & promptly turned around to her & said "I've forgotten how my routine starts, what routine am I doing?" :laugh: . I had to do a little fluffing around with my dog & getting positioned etc until I remembered what I was supposed to be doing :banghead: .

Sorry to hear that Tux has problems with his eyes, does it get better once the first flush of Spring has gone or does he suffer from it year round? My kelpie Jarrah gets an itchy rash, sore eyes & loses the hair around his eyes if he eats red meat. No problem when his dry food is chicken based, but he's the worst counter-surfer & bin thief I've ever met in my life, so he constantly has bald & gunky eyes. When we were in the UK last time he was in the kennels for 8 weeks with no opportunity to steal food & I came back to a dog with hair around his eyes :thumbsup: .

Good luck with the Royal (is it this coming week?), we are off to Michelle P this weekend, really looking forward to it, I have a private lesson on Friday as well, first time I've ever had one so I'm pretty excited.

Good luck with the Royal (is it this coming week?), we are off to Michelle P this weekend, really looking forward to it, I have a private lesson on Friday as well, first time I've ever had one so I'm pretty excited.

Me too! Just about to hit the road to start our trip north. Going most of the way today, then the rest tomorrow. See you there! :wave:

Hi Kallistar, so sorry I haven't responded, I don't come into this section very often & only just thought to check back here. Glad to hear that your routine is going well, I can well sympathise about falling over &/or forgetting your routine because I do the later on a regular basis :laugh: . In fact at our last competition down the Gold Coast I walked into the ring with the steward & promptly turned around to her & said "I've forgotten how my routine starts, what routine am I doing?" :laugh: . I had to do a little fluffing around with my dog & getting positioned etc until I remembered what I was supposed to be doing :banghead: .

Sorry to hear that Tux has problems with his eyes, does it get better once the first flush of Spring has gone or does he suffer from it year round? My kelpie Jarrah gets an itchy rash, sore eyes & loses the hair around his eyes if he eats red meat. No problem when his dry food is chicken based, but he's the worst counter-surfer & bin thief I've ever met in my life, so he constantly has bald & gunky eyes. When we were in the UK last time he was in the kennels for 8 weeks with no opportunity to steal food & I came back to a dog with hair around his eyes :thumbsup: .

The Royal is next Sunday (30th) and the young girl has decided that she cannot possibly do any thing of her routine.Hopefully its only a couple of day hiccup.

Tux's eyes are now cleared up, so I reckon it was just some dust that got in there that caused the problem, thank goodness.

Have fun with Michelle P, from what I am reading it is great, but please feel free to pass on any info that you care to share from the workshop.

The Royal is next Sunday (30th) and the young girl has decided that she cannot possibly do any thing of her routine.Hopefully its only a couple of day hiccup.

Tux's eyes are now cleared up, so I reckon it was just some dust that got in there that caused the problem, thank goodness.

Have fun with Michelle P, from what I am reading it is great, but please feel free to pass on any info that you care to share from the workshop.

Good luck at the Royal! :D :thumbsup:

Michele P was AMAZING! Just a fantastic weekend that left many heads spinning about new ways to look at behaviours we teach our dogs.

Yesterday Melbourne Royal DWD comp was held and what a sight it was too. Some very lovely routines was presented to everyone to enjoy. There was even some very new competitors into the sport too :)

As for me, I didn't get to compete as my girl was in season. I had decided that it was just too noisy for Tux so I left him home..

Did anyone else do any comps?

I could not find where it was going to be on. I thought it was in the same area as us (flyball).

Hi Clover, it was outside on the Astro Turf where the Conformation was held. You was unfortunally was cut off from the rest of us when they closed the roller door in between the two adjoining pavillion. Heard you all though.

And you missed out on seeing some wonderful routines too

• 2 weeks later...

How has everyone training/routines going?

Mine has sort of come to a halt with the young girl being in season right now :) But I have worked out a bit more of her routine and will add a bit more "glitter" to my costume.

Just want to ask about commands that people use for HTM, what do you call each position? I normally just use signals but this young girl needs both.

thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since anyone's posted here.

Who's entering the final competition for the year in Sydney next month? I'll be there with bells on to watch. :D So hoping they get a large entry.

kallistar, I've only done a bit of htm at the workshops so haven't thought a lot about what to call the different positions. For heel I use 'heel', naturally & for right side heeling I use 'side'. For one of the across body positions I use 'cross' & not thought of the others. For handler moving backwards & dog moving forwards facing handler I've heard 'head', 'leg', & 'knee' used.

I'm still undecided about the December comp in Sydney; I've got a new baby Cardi coming home at the end of November, and I'll need to decide whether I can bear to leave him for the day, since he won't be fully vaccinated!

Shandy has a new freestyle routine, and I'd like to finish her Novice titles.

I just try to come up with cues that make sense to me; I use a mix of obedience and things that work for us; heel still for left, right for right. Head and Tail for backwards heel positions. I use 'leg' for weaves, since she already knew 'weave' from agility, etc

• 2 weeks later...

Well my DWD routine hasn't come along the way I'd like it to. She just doesnt seem to get it that I am in charge and not her. So I havent entered the last Vic comp for the year.

Still having trouble what to call certain moves that makes sense to me as well as for the heel positions. Thanks Ness for all your help so far.

Good luck to everyone else in your upcoming comps, please feel free to post your brags here. We do want to hear about them. Also tell us about anything else to do with DWD too :)))

• 2 weeks later...