Mounting

Well, my baby has hit the ripe old age of 10 months, and he is starting to Mount..... we went to the dog park the other day and all Gus wanted to do was pin down a chocolate Lab and go for gold..... I have not seen him do this in a while, the first time was when we bought him home at 8 weeks, but Nala put him into line and i had not seen it again till 6 months at the dog park with another male, i assumed he was just very excited... but this time he was very persistent, and I have no idea how to deal with it..... suggestions please?? I dont want him mounting every dog he sees, its embarrassing and impractical.

Zeus gets like this and he's almost 3 years old. The best thing I do is to put him on his lead and have him sit beside me until he calms down.

He gets so revved up in off-leash play that he can't help himself -- but I won't allow it. Once he's calmed down I let him off again and he's good.

its embarrassing and impractical.

Also, potentially dangerous :( Some otherwise perfectly normal dogs can get quite nasty if humped and could turn on your boy. I suspect my girl would be one such dog if I was ever not there to call her back :(

Also, potentially dangerous :( Some otherwise perfectly normal dogs can get quite nasty if humped and could turn on your boy. I suspect my girl would be one such dog if I was ever not there to call her back :(

:thumbsup:

On leash/long line until his recall is 110 % ..and he will listen to you, even when his attention seems elsewhere.

With this behaviour,he will be chastised none-too-gently by an owner or a dog at some stage ....and it will not be pleasant for you.

I have a bitch that has this habit that has only gotten worse since her desexing. She gives pretty clear signals about what she is thinking- starts flirting, doing pixy ears etch which gives me plenty of time to call her back to me. She doesn't get reprimanded as such, but she does get a big reward for leaving the other dog- Its a little hard when you have girls that cycle that all hump each other to completely eliminate it. But carful supervision whenever she is out, which is no different to the supervision I have with all my dogs means that it has never been an issue. With the exemption of a few other dogs who have flirted back :rofl:

Does your dog give you warning signs? I would be looking out for them and using the first one in the cycle as an opportunity to call him to you and settle him down before he gets too amorous.

NB my girl doesn't go to the dog park and is only off lead with other stable dogs that are well supervised. You might find it hard to nip it in the bud where other owners don't have full control over their dogs.

Edited by Jumabaar

Yeah, long leash till you get a solid recall from him.

ETA: The 2 times Emmy has been humped, she hated it and let the dogs know how she felt about it. Those 2 dogs keeps their distance with her now. I think she scared their dogs owners more than the dogs though...

Edited by CW EW

Ow yes I forgot about that, yeap Nala is one of thoes girls who can not stand being mounted and so I totally understand it, I guess putting him back on lead is the best option, but i'd like him to learn that its not accepted, he is also entire... (still deciding wether I am going to show him, its a little time consuming)...

Well to be honest I was not watching too closely to see wether he has warning signs, he also didnt know what to do with himself.... its not a solid hold rear end and mount... its like thrusting hips in every direction has no clue what his doing type thing... but never the less he will get worse if i dont nip it in the but now....

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Ow yes I forgot about that, yeap Nala is one of thoes girls who can not stand being mounted and so I totally understand it, I guess putting him back on lead is the best option, but i'd like him to learn that its not accepted, he is also entire... (still deciding wether I am going to show him, its a little time consuming)...

Well to be honest I was not watching too closely to see wether he has warning signs, he also didnt know what to do with himself.... its not a solid hold rear end and mount... its like thrusting hips in every direction has no clue what his doing type thing... but never the less he will get worse if i dont nip it in the but now....

That is typical- they get excited and their brain stops working and some young ones can even look a little confused when it happens. Its not a habit at this point so should be easy enough to get under control, particularly if your other dog won't allow it to happen.

That is typical- they get excited and their brain stops working and some young ones can even look a little confused when it happens. Its not a habit at this point so should be easy enough to get under control, particularly if your other dog won't allow it to happen.

Ow god no he knows very well NEVER to hump nala, it was not a pleasant past time for him... lol