Testing Sperm

Ok - your in a different state, so this was the costs from one of the repro vets in Vic.

$460 - for consult, collection & freezing (or chilling? I'm not quite sure if it would be lesser for different methods)

$155 for assessment of semen.

Hope this helps.

Do you need an official sperm count or just need to know if there are plenty of mobile sperm? Our vets can tell you if it it looks normal under a microscope for well under $100.

Freezing or chilling is different to just having it tested so the price should be a lot lower to just collect and test. Even if you were freezing the other prices quoted here seem very high. I haven't had any done for a while but think it was about $400 all up when I had my dog collected and frozen.

Oh wow - as far as I know that price didn't include storage - but maybe I am wrong.

It sounds like you can collect and test for a lot less though. I'd just ring around, there is a pinned forum above with recommended repro Vets so you should find someone good :)

I don't know for just assessment but I had two dogs collected late last year by Sires On Ice and for collection, freeze and analysis, including 12 months storage it was $440 per dog.

Thanks for that the dog is older has sired litters bit on his last try no pups a backyard ai was dog n sperm was cloudy (sperm) so wondered if he's infertile now as I'd like to try it again

Cloudy or milky look is correct for the sperm rich fraction.

I think a friend of mine in SA went to Two Wells just to see if a virgin male had a good sperm count before an

interstate bitch flew to him, cost was about $80-$100 I think.

Good luck & I hope you get the result you are after.

BB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Steppenwolfkennels.

I paid $200 for an AI recently which included the collection, extension, sperm count and vaginal insertion.

So, the cost would be close since an analysis would only not require a vaginal insertion.

:cheers: