Frontline

If you're in NSW or Northern Victoria (or around the Geelong area in Victoria) you can blame some big racing Greyhound trainers for Frontline not being as effective.

Some of the "really big" kennels found that "Banana spray" otherwise known as Regent (an insecticide) contained the same active ingredient as Frontline... Fipronil. Regent was a lot cheaper than paying for Frontline, which is why they used it. Unfortunately you can tell a dog that's had "banana spray" on it (if it's white like mine) - because it stains the hair. Used in massive doses (like what had happened to Kanga not long before he was transported to me) also causes them to break out in skin welts and their hair falls out. :confused:

Misuse and "over/under" dosing has caused the fleas to become immune to the product in those areas where "banana spray" use has been popular. :)

I've always used Advantage, and my dogs have to put up with being near "flea-ridden" greyhounds (when the vets don't "scratch" the dogs from racing like they're supposed to) - yet I have only had one problem with fleas... on a dog that came from the rearers (that used "banana spray"). A second dose of Advantage (Bayer sent me 3 replacement tubes, one for each dog, so that I wasn't out of pocket :laugh: ) on that one dog fixed the problem. :laugh:

Continuous use of Advantage helps break the cycle of fleas, since it will also kill any fleas in the dog's bedding/sleeping areas. :D

You should NOT use Frontline on a dog that has sensitive skin. (read the other thread on Frontline).

It still depends on the dog: Zayda has extreme allergies and sensitive skin.... but she's fine on Frontline.... where as Asher is only allergic to proplyene glycol and has a sensitivity to such products...

Sometimes the only way to find out is through trial and error......

Dan

• 10 months later...

I too have found that frontline of late is not as effective as previous, so I switched to adantix, great product, fleas all gone in a short amount of time. Only problem now is that I am left with a dog that had a lovely soft coat to one that is coarse and brittle

Working on that problem , any suggestions

:D

In about august i switched to advantix and have only seen one flea on him in over six months. I find advantix much much better. I'm not sure if i noticed that it has affected his coat. I think it might be a bit duller, but there could be numerous reasons for this i guess.

I've always used advantage and never had a flea problem. Recently the staff at my vet suggested frontline was better so I switched, but my dog started scratching within days. I haven't analysed it too much, but I thinkI'll go back to advatnage once the frontline runs out as i have more faith in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just remember regardless what the companies say that this works better or faster blah blah blah...........

Fleas are obligate parasites and most will feed before they die regardless of what product you use and what you have been told.

I took part in afield trial some years ago with Advantage and Frontline Top Spot and Frontline Spray On. Most fleas fed before they died.

A derm vet friend of mine recommends Capstar the fastest acting flea knockdown (it only lasts for 24 hours but kills 100% of fleas on the dog in 8 hours) she recommends Capstar for Flea Alergy Dermititis and to make sure that they are keep away she has clients use a Flea growth Inhibitor like Program.

I only treat Chiefy "in season" he doesn't seem to get them in winter.

I have to say with regard to Frontline when I use the top spot it only keeps them off for 2 weeks, while the spray tends to keep him flea free for a much longer period. This is just what I've found.

Also if you have neighbours who don't treat their dog/s that might be causing a problem. We used to have neighbours who didn't treat their dogs and Chiefy had to be treated much more frequently.

This http://www.apvma.gov.au/chemrev/fipronil.pdf is an expanded version. It includes the folowing statement which puts the reported adverse reactions into proportion.

When compared to the number of doses sold the incidence of adverse experience reports for products containing fipronil are relatively low (<0.01%).

Quick search of the site didn't produce any reference to a final report - but I guess the fact that the product is still registered now indicates that they didn't see an urgent issue.

No advocacy here either way - just in the interests of balance.

Barb

As i have found with insect repellants , the critters are becoming immuned to the stuff we use .

kelly

Hi All,

Just remember regardless what the companies say that this works better or faster blah blah blah...........

Fleas are obligate parasites and most will feed before they die regardless of what product you use and what you have been told.

I took part in afield trial some years ago with Advantage and Frontline Top Spot and Frontline Spray On. Most fleas fed before they died.

A derm vet friend of mine recommends Capstar the fastest acting flea knockdown (it only lasts for 24 hours but kills 100% of fleas on the dog in 8 hours) she recommends Capstar for Flea Alergy Dermititis and to make sure that they are keep away she has clients use a Flea growth Inhibitor like Program.

I have used combination of sentinel and capstar with success

Kelly