Dog Urine On The Grass

MishB

HI,

We have 2 dogs, a nearly 3 yr old desexed male shepherd and a 5 mth old male Brittany.

I have noticed that my lawn has started to reek of dog urine. Im really noticing it,I do try watering it immediately after they wee,but thats not always possible.Also now the weather is cooler the grass doeasnt dry very quickly so Ive ended up with soggy, smelly grass.

I do seem to have dogs who like weeing in their own yard and not so much when we r out on walks, my dogs are weird, my shepherd had to have a urine test last week & I eventually brought him home where he immediately went to the toilet, he refused to go while we were out!!

The brown spots are annoying but not as bad as the smell. They also have weed on the concrete pavers out the back and I cant get the smell out for the life of me. I have tryed baking soda and vinegar,Ive also used some aro-fectant (dog kennel disinfectant from rural west) but it hasnt worked at all.

Ive seen dog rocks advertised, has anyone had success with these.

I have thought of getting some lime from Bunnings to put on the lawn? Im no gardener either & I dont really have much clue about these things, so I thought I would ask my fellow DOLers what you do to save your yard!

Have exactly the same problem here. I have 2 desexed dogs & we put down new Sir Walter Buffalo last spring, Hmmm not much left now as it has brown patches all over what is left of it :o

Have tried pretty much everything. Dog rocks, apple cidar vingear in their drinking water & water the lawn after they have :laugh: nothing worked. So sorry I am no help to you at all but can

sympathize with your issues although we don't have much smell which is a bonus I guess. Will be watching this post with keen interest though. Someone might have a solution :crossfingers:

I am interested too!

although my situation isnt as bad because my puppy goes in the exact same spot in the grass so we have one big brown spot.. the rest of the big yard is fine and stays green.

I was told about the cider vinegar in the water but the dogs wouldn't touch it heir water with it added.

There are also some sort of rocks you can get from the pet shop that help as well but I can't remember what they are called (I started a thread about this about a month ago)...

I ended up just putting up with it because it was my sweet foster girl causing it. My desexed boy is fine and doesn't cause the burning off... So now it is just him and I again, the grass is coming back already...

I was told about the cider vinegar in the water but the dogs wouldn't touch it heir water with it added.

There are also some sort of rocks you can get from the pet shop that help as well but I can't remember what they are called (I started a thread about this about a month ago)...

I ended up just putting up with it because it was my sweet foster girl causing it. My desexed boy is fine and doesn't cause the burning off... So now it is just him and I again, the grass is coming back already...

My son tried the 'dog' rocks for his Wei, didn't work. If you put too much vinegar in the water the dogs won't drink it, I pu aout 20ml into 1 litre of water.

Ive priced the Dog Rocks. My goodness they are expensive, it would cost me over $35 to put them in my dogs water bucket, I use a 9 litre bucket for water!

I have just spread my lawn with lime, hoping this will help to rebalance it a bit, and I have bought some Natures Miracle odour destroyer spray for the pavers, $20 for a 700ml spray bottle (I hope it works).

I will see how this goes before I try the dog rocks, has anyone tried putting a bit of bicarb in the water, or is this not good for dogs?

Pets1 on DOL sells some sort of pee sticks that encourage dogs to limit their peeing to immediately around the stick, so maybe putting that stick in a corner of your yardto limit the damage would be the best solution for you?

My son tried the 'dog' rocks for his Wei, didn't work. If you put too much vinegar in the water the dogs won't drink it, I pu aout 20ml into 1 litre of water.

That is about all I used, I used a medicine cup (30ml) in their water bowl that is a 2L ceramic dish (it is only filled to just below the top, so the ratios would be similar to what you used.

The dogs wouldn't go near it...

Our foster girl is gone now and it doesn't happen with our boy.

Pee sticks and dog rocks don't work here... I'm considering tearing out the lawn and trying a different turf type.

We are on our third different type of lawn in 4 years & we are back to dirt in most spots & the rest of it is burnt. We don't know what else to do. Not a good look when we are trying to sell our house soon.

you probably need something alkaline to neutralise the pee.

I get yellow spots but I don't worry too much because while the burn is bad the lawn likes the acid and the nitrogen, it grows back really green and thick - the rest of my soil is extremely alkaline clay stuff.

So alkalines that might help

detergent - eg tipping your washing up water on the or laundry water - my lawn likes the laundry water cos of the phosphorous or something else in it. But long term it's probably not good on alcaline soil but good on dog pee...

Don't put vinegar - cos that's acid - it's good for clean up with bicarb not not straight.

I'd consider putting bicarb in water on the spots - because that should neutralise the pee and help with the smell. Dry might not have much impact unless it rains a lot.

Saving some of what comes out of the washing machine might be the cheapest option.

Ash from fires is also alkaline and soap... soap would smell nice.

Teaching your dogs to go where you want them to, may also help. Some dogs like to save up till they're not home and others like to only go at home.

If your soil is having trouble with all the water and not draining, coring and top dressing with sand and maybe gypsum might help especially if its a bit clay like. Or use clay if it's sandy and acid. Ie make clay slurry with water and water that in.

Edit for crap spellin - tho I prolly missed some more

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket