Whippetwear Coat Review

spuddy

Hi all whippet enthusiats!

Now that the cold is coming on, I just wanted to give a quick review of a coat I recently bought for my Whippy. It's a whippetwear brand, splash model.

I have mixed feelings about it.

Good: These are locally sewn, made to measure waterproof coats andit is admittedly a beautifully made coat from very nice materials that seem worth the pumped up pricetag.

Not so good: I measured my dog very carefully and it doesn't fit all that well. You have to provide measurements of back length, waist and weight for ordering. Whippy fits in the coat provided based on these measurements, but it doesn't fit his back end (no measurement of hip width is needed for ordering). The result - a coat he is able to pee on when he cocks his leg :( This is going to be inconvenient and expensive to have altered by whippetwear and they couldn't reassure me it would help (although the were very friendly through all this even though they can't really help provide a nice fitting coat). I now have a lovely coat that will have to be pinned up/altered by me? my mum? a friend? or be resigned to a dog pee stained coat (yuck!).

Final thoughts: I could have bought a nice coat off the rack that fitted better for half the price. Whippetwear ones are lovely but if they don't fit well, they don't fit well. I'm not regretful but next time I will head to the nearest pet store for Whippy clothing.

Anyone else with thoughts?

Edited by spuddy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a shame. I too have 2 coats I bought this winter from whippet wear, and have had no problems. Lola is a female so I dont have any leg cocking problems.! I do find their quality good as Lola likes to give hers a good workout. When I spoke to the lady she said if the whippet was not pure bred from a registered breeder but from a backyard bred whippet then it is of a different statue etc and the coat will not fit properly as it will be outside the standard. Unsure if this is your scenario or not....... I think you will struggle to buy a coat off the rack for a whippet...... hope you can work it out

Guest english.ivy

Let the company know that it doesn't fit correctly. They may give you a refund. You don't know if you don't ask :)

I hv big hairy whippets (aka deerhounds) and every male over 25 years has peed on every coat they owned. *shrug*

Edited to remind myself that the itsmeg jimjams seem to make it thru ok.

Edited by Meea

I made some Whippet shaped coats for a friend and the only way they didn't pee on them was if they were an inch up their sides. Her dogs pee'd on their chest.

My male pees down so he never gets close to his coat. I think anatomy plays a big role in whether or not a Whippet will pee on it's coats or it's self.

I think they make lovely coats. If you need it altered and they cannot do it then I suggest a good clothes alteration person.

Edited by OSoSwift

We have whippet wear coats and they are amazing! One thing, where are you doing up the Velcro, we used to do it up as far back as possible, now it is done up mid back there are no dramas. Though our male doesn't cock his leg, though wets his front legs. Our bitza male has peed on every coat we've ever gotten him!

I went to horseland and got a weatherbeeta coat for Missy my whippet its wind,water proof and its very warm for her to wear. Now I have to teach Missy to recall with coat on,She recalls beautifully when coat is off but won't move when coat is on lol.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

But I really don't think I was bagging anyone out Rebanne. I was sharing my experiences and opinions - I said they are lovely coats and the whippetwear folks are friendly, it just didn't work for me. If that's bagging someone out, then I don't know how anyone could ever write an honest review.

I have spoken to the company and we've reached a bit of an impasse (albeit reasonable on both sides). I think next time I will follow mumtoshelley's advice and look at a weatherbetta.

I have 5 coats from Whippetwear and love them. Even my two males (one over the bridge now) who manage to pee on themselves in quite a few coats manage to stay pee free in their WW ones.

Do you mean when he cocks his leg he wees on the opposite flap/side that hangs down?

Does a weatherbeta off the rack fit your whippet mum to shelley or did you modify it.? I had done a lot of research before I bought mine from whippet wear as the ones I looked at were too short in neck and length not right. Lola my whippet is a 12 month old 12.5 kg female.

Astro, I also have a couple of Weatherbeetas.

They're not a bad coat, but they're just "dog" shaped, not whippet shaped.

I love the whippetwear ones because they come right up to the ears, where as the weatherbeeta leaves the neck bare. Freezing where I live, so they need a nice high neck!

I agree Sir WJ, I love seeing Lola all snugged up in red coat when it is below zero outside. She always looks so toasty and warm and can barely be bothered moving out of her crate in the morning as I am sure she is too comfy! If only I could be like a whippet all day lounging around in the sun on the couch " sigh"

Looks like it's time to buy Missy a new coat mumtoshelley. This one doesn't cover her bum and thighs. Whilst it's better than nothing, I prefer the whole dog covered. :)

I don't think I want one that covers the bum,she wil end up pooing and probably peeing on it. Missy is mainly inside she is outside during the day if its sunny. The coat really only gets put on if its cold out when we go for walks or monday nights when we go to obedience, other then that Missy lays on our bed with a blanket on or infront of the heater.

Looks like it's time to buy Missy a new coat mumtoshelley. This one doesn't cover her bum and thighs. Whilst it's better than nothing, I prefer the whole dog covered. :)

I don't think I want one that covers the bum,she wil end up pooing and probably peeing on it. Missy is mainly inside she is outside during the day if its sunny. The coat really only gets put on if its cold out when we go for walks or monday nights when we go to obedience, other then that Missy lays on our bed with a blanket on or infront of the heater.

Each to their own.

I can guarantee though, a whippet bitch with a well fitted coat of that style, will not dirty it going to the toilet, be it 1's or 2's. Sure, if the coat was somehow fitted around the tail it would (if ever there is such a thing), but a normal dog coat won't interfer.