When To Stop That Second Feed?

My boy has turn 1 year old a week or so ago and we are still giving him his morning and night meal.

So I was wondering just when should we stop one of these meals.

If we do stop one to which one would you say to cut.

We don't mind feeding him twice a day and he is not anywhere close to being over weight either.

This just to see if we should cut it out or if it is okay to keep going the way we are.

He is on the dry food that Dr. Harry has got his head on it.

And he gets a cup in each meal, which I think works out to be 200 grams or something like that.

Every now and then we mix in an egg with his meal to.

No table scraps, but the odd bone or treat is his only extra's.

I don't see anything wrong with feeding twice daily -- my guys get breakfast and dinner and get upset if I don't give them their breakfast!! :laugh:

The best way to tell would to just keep an eye on his weight and monitor it closely. Even if he does put on some weight, you can always cut back the amount of food you're feeding eg try 1/2 a cup twice daily until his weight improves. But that's only if he starts gaining.

Our boy stopped eating his second meal (his choice) at about 5 to 6 months ... but we now feed him two meals a day as he drops weight very quickly during the colder months.

During the warmer months we feed just the breakfast as his main meal and maybe a light snack at night every couple of days.

I too have always fed my adult boys twice a day. I feed raw and natural and they get the meaty bone part of the meal in the morning and their meat part in the late afternoon. If your boy is not overweight, I would just feed the same amount in two parts.

Thanks for your replies it was something that I needed to know.

I don't feel to bad in keeping his 2 meals a day going now.

I watched him today while I was welding and he was jumping up into one of the trees we have out the backback.

And he was jumping up to about 4 foot off the ground. from a standing start.

So the weight issue I think won't happen as he keeps himself busy all day long.

Well that settles it we will keep him on the 2 feeds a day.

Or unless he decided to say that is enough.

I know Heelers will walk away from food if their bellies are full.

Much unlike a lot of dogs who will eat till it is all gone.

So I will just keep a watch on him with this.

It's more about what goes into the bowl and how much rather than how often. Also as your dog gets older and less active his need will change, and I don't mean elderly, just not hyper puppy/young dog stage any longer.

Also don't forget to take training treats and I love you you have brown eyes treats into account. :laugh:

All the dogs we have had were later in their lives were on the teatime meal only.

But we had a big bowl where the dogs could go to at any time to have a nibble.

Never did they over eat even with the food there all the time.

It only stopped when our last Heeler became possessive over it.

So we put them on a 1 feed a day.

So this is really quite new to us actually making the time to feed.

Not that I am saying I don't like it, I love feeding him.

As now after his feeds we have a big cuddle then I put him out just like when he was a pup.

He really looks forwards to these.

My guys get fed twice a day with treats throughout the day. I wouldn't like to only have one big meal a day, so I don't expect my dogs to either. So much easier on their digestive system to be have the meal divided & fed twice a day. IMO

Guest Clover

My adults get breaky in the morning and a snack before bed. The pup is 8.5 months old now and still getting breaky and dinner, i will keep that up for as long as she keeps eating her dinner.