Big Dog Barf

Guest english.ivy

Guest english.ivy

I started off making my own BARF which consisted of minced chicken frames from various butchers plus VAN etc.

My dog were getting sick ie vomiting or just off their food frequently.

I found that the minced chicken frames often smelt of chlorine and sometimes they just smelt OFF even though they came from a butcher.

Because of this I switched over to Dr. B's BARF and then over to Big Dog BARF.

Problem solved!!!!

I wouldn't make my own BARF ever again ..... it is false economy ..... even though I have quite a few dogs to feed!

Yeah I found that too with chicken mince, my Pointer would spew up chicken [minced frames] so I had to stop. I can now only buy chicken that is organic and certified.

I would never attempted a 100% BARF diet. Too risky IMO. Read Dr B's books but I just couldn't get my head around it.

Though does anyone know how much offal is in each 250gram of Big Dog? I was thinking of contacting them.

I just rang Big Dog and had a chat with them about Hamish, was a great chat and I will most likely be filling my big freezer up again. They really are easy people to talk with so I will keep supporting them :D .

Edited by Andisa

Guest english.ivy

I just rang Big Dog and had a chat with them about Hamish, was a great chat and I will most likely be filling my big freezer up again. They really are easy people to talk with so I will keep supporting them :D .

Great to hear :)

They answered the phone on a Saturday!

Guest english.ivy

Well Ivy loves the 100% roo Big Dog and Badger ate the roo once and then the second day he wasn't keen at all but he did eat it. Just took him ages. Which isn't normal for Badger. I had to add in a single serve of natures gift for him to eat it.

So I've bought him non roo and he ate with gusto this morning. Hopefully day two he will still be keen!

Also found the Breeders roll, which is also by Big Dog, but a large solid 1kg roll. Bought one of those and will try that sometime soon. Just annoying as I will have to defrost and feed within 48 hours.

But I found a BP&G with a great selection. Not close to home but that's ok.

My dogs are not keen on Roo - think it must be an acquired taste...I hate it too.

With the roll - you can cut it in portions when it starts to thaw, might be a bit hard but can be done. Freeze what you don't need straight away.

Edited by Andisa

My dogs are not keen on Roo - think it must be an acquired taste...I hate it too.

With the roll - you can cut it in portions when it starts to thaw, might be a bit hard but can be done. Freeze what you don't need straight away.

I get my roo/mutton/beef mince in frozen 1kg rolls & I just defrost them slightly then cut them in half with a bread knife & pop one half back in the freezer....no problems :thumbsup:

I've been buying the Big Dog patties since B,P&G started stocking them instead of Dr B's. My dogs love them but then they're not particularly fussy.

I keep a stock in the freezer to use if I forget to defrost their ordinary meat or make up the VAN mix or just for a bit of variety.

Guest english.ivy

Good idea! Might do that and cut it in to four parts if I can.

Badger has had roo before but I guess with the bone and offal added it will taste different.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest english.ivy

Does anyone feed the feline BARF made by Big Dog?

I just gave my cat a little of the roo one to see if she would eat it as I want her eating raw. But I don't want to buy the feline one and then she won't eat it!

Does anyone feed the feline BARF made by Big Dog?

I just gave my cat a little of the roo one to see if she would eat it as I want her eating raw. But I don't want to buy the feline one and then she won't eat it!

i fed my old cat Dr Bs way back when. after just a few weeks, my 13yo cats was looking and acting like a kitten LOL and his litter tray stopped stinking out the entire house. If I ever have another cat, i will feed raw again :D