Tibetan Terrier

azima

Not all tts climb. I have a tt and she doesn't like going in the backyard she would prefer to be at my feet. She is never onlead but follows me like a shadow. She is happy all the time and very trainable. She is the most beautiful dog I've ever owned..my first coated dog and is easy to groom!

Eta: she chases toys and loves to play, but sinks like a bag of bricks in the water lol. And was the easiest dog to toilet train, they are a very clean breed

Edited by Jessm

RFT Black SBTs are actually brindle, if you look very closely you will see some brindle stripes on them

I love a dog who runs off-lead and comes when he's called (i.e. probably not a 'real' terrier).

This is not a terrier thing, there are plenty of terriers with a recall, and plenty of other breeds without one

I agree with this,Brandy my Australian terrier bitch, has fantastic recall. :)

Australian terriers might be a breed to consider, they have a big dog personalities,are very fun loving, mine love a game of fetch & a swim in our dam. I find with my dogs that they have a off switch too, & all of them like to have a snuggle on lap too.

Not all terriers run off :) I had a little cross when I was younger and she was a shadow!! Very keen to please and lots of fun. When we went on holidays we put her on the lead, cos that's the rules...but never needed to, except when she saw another dog :p bit of a socialite rofl1.gif (she was an only dog...so seeing other dogs was a bit of a novelty hehe)

Edited by Scootaloo

Affenpinscher?

But agree with the suggestion of a Schipperke too.

I wouldn't be restrained by your son's choice of colour. Opinions change anyway, more important that the pup suits you all, as a baby and a adult, than it being a certain colour.

A schipperke sounds perfect. My boy housetrained sooo easily, never had an accident in the house. He is a small dog, with a BIG personality...he really doesn't really he is small. He loves swimming and playing ball, and because schips are so food oriented, training is a breeze. Biscuit will come racing back to me when called, no matter what the distraction...as long as I have treats with me :D As a bonus, they are black dogs, like your son wants :thumbsup:

However they do have very long lifespans, it is not unheard of for them to live to 17 years. So you really have to be 100% sure and dedicated. They will also need a good walk/run everyday, or they will go extremely hyper.

Oh my gosh, a schipperke sounds perfect (and not just because it's black). Thank you.

(Btw I didn't mean I don't want a pup from a shelter, I meant I don't want a mix-breed pup.)

Oh my gosh, a schipperke sounds perfect (and not just because it's black). Thank you.

(Btw I didn't mean I don't want a pup from a shelter, I meant I don't want a mix-breed pup.)

They are awesome litlle dogs and would certainly tick the boxes for what you would like...and they are the most cutest fluffy baby bear puppies... :o