Thinning Scissors/stripping Knife/stones?

I am looking around trying to decide which thinning scissors I should buy.Im a showing newbie and so am new to the grooming that needs to be done.

Im showing a Brittany, recommended tools are one sided thinning scissors but there are so many different brands around!!

I need to get rid of all the fluffy bits on his ears and generally trim the coat up and I need some good thinning scissors.I dont want them to fail after a couple of uses, but I also dont want to pay an arm and a leg for them either.

What ones have ppl used with success? Where did you buy them? And the big question, how much were they and how long have they lasted?

I have also looked on the net about grooming, saw a video by a Eric Salas who used a stone, thinning knife and not the scissors.It looked a bit easier than using the scissors? But I could be very wrong as everyone I have asked uses the scissors, no one has even mentioned using a stone.

What is the difference between a thinning scissor and a stripping knife? Its probably really obvious but Im a dummy with all these tools, I have no clue about how they all differ.

Hi MishB

I paid quite a lot for a pair of Wahl thinning scissors and could never keep an edge on them. In desperation one day I bought a $10 pair and 6 years later they are still going and never been sharpened.

Scissors will, obviously, cut the hair, a stripping knife is designed to assist you pull the hair out. Double coated terriers are stripped (pulled) out as it allows the new coat to grow through from the root of the hair and gives a harsher coat. I'm not sure I have explained that very well hope you understand what I am saying.

The dog shop in WAells wahl one sided at a good price & they should last for ever provided you take care .They also sell the small straight for feet .

Both cost around the $ 70 .

We buy those from there & our big time scissors from the US .

The Stone you can also buy from the dog shop "slick n easy " about $6 this is used on the head,i also use it to strip the legs,feet & shoulder area ,stripping the kneck & can be used over the body .

The stone is great & i would suggest at present all you need.

Even in the US they will clip the necks but you need to blend the throat & i do a combo of thinners & stone on the Setters

Stripping knifes are like how long is a piece of string & how much do you want to spend .

We have hundreds of dollars worth of stripping tools & each have there use for coats & sections .

If you want some help at the show with gear i am happy to assist ,i show every weekend in Perth .

I use a Mars 17cm Thinning Scissor on my cocker. I've had it for about 4 years and it's been sharpened once about 3 months ago (and it probably didn't really need it, I just sent off all my stuff to be sharpened).

For stripping, I use a Mars Coat King (a #20 or a #26).

This is for a cocker that isn't shown but is kept in a 'show clip'.

Edited by Luke W

Here is a pretty good online guide to Brittany grooming with a list of equipment at the top http://www.brittanygrooming.com/.

I have a stone but only use it for Zora's head/legs. I would be very careful with using the stone on orange areas as you might make the coat look cut. Obi does not really need much done, I would just invest in some thinning scissors and some straight scissors for now and then experiment with other techniques as he grows more hair.

Hi MishB

I paid quite a lot for a pair of Wahl thinning scissors and could never keep an edge on them. In desperation one day I bought a $10 pair and 6 years later they are still going and never been sharpened.

Scissors will, obviously, cut the hair, a stripping knife is designed to assist you pull the hair out. Double coated terriers are stripped (pulled) out as it allows the new coat to grow through from the root of the hair and gives a harsher coat. I'm not sure I have explained that very well hope you understand what I am saying.

Thx for explaining ,, I think I get the difference between the two now. I don't need a knife :)

Here is a pretty good online guide to Brittany grooming with a list of equipment at the top http://www.brittanygrooming.com/.

I have a stone but only use it for Zora's head/legs. I would be very careful with using the stone on orange areas as you might make the coat look cut. Obi does not really need much done, I would just invest in some thinning scissors and some straight scissors for now and then experiment with other techniques as he grows more hair.

The stone looks like its so easy to use on the Eric Salas video tho! He makes it look so simple!

I was looking at getting the pupkus brand thinning shears but they are made by Wahl ( Wahl doesn't have the best rep in human hair tools) so now I'm not sure which ones to get.

I have a stripping stone for my terriers so one day after watching the Eric video on the brittany I thought I'd have a go on Missy...boy was she mad!! :laugh:

I've got a "stone" (it's actually metal) a la Eric Salas for my Border Terriers - works a treat and I love the feel of it and how it works.

BTW, Eric Salas is coming to Oz for the second time in August and giving workshops on grooming and handling....should be very interesting.

The most important thing is grooming to your dog faults.

Stripping toplines & tail sets is individual & you need to now what the good & bad are of your dogs as to how much to strip or save.

Just like stripping shoulders & clipping down.you need to look at the neck,shoulders & decide how much bib to leave & how to shape the shoulders ,you can be very creative & haide alot or create something that isn't there

The stone looks like its so easy to use on the Eric Salas video tho! He makes it look so simple!

I was looking at getting the pupkus brand thinning shears but they are made by Wahl ( Wahl doesn't have the best rep in human hair tools) so now I'm not sure which ones to get.

Wahl don't have a good rep with dog grooming tools either!

Roseline is a good brand and their scissors last well (I have some 15+ years old) I use a double sided thinner and they don't ever get sharpened

Stripping stones are great and you won't cut the coat, which can make orange parts go fluffy and paler

Roseline is a good brand and their scissors last well (I have some 15+ years old) I use a double sided thinner and they don't ever get sharpened

Stripping stones are great and you won't cut the coat, which can make orange parts go fluffy and paler

do you mean cutting the coat makes it go fluffier? or the stone makes it go fluffier? Sorry Im a bit dopey lol.

I have been recommended the roseline brand by someone else too, Im glad to know that thx.

The dog shop in WAells wahl one sided at a good price & they should last for ever provided you take care .They also sell the small straight for feet .

Both cost around the $ 70 .

We buy those from there & our big time scissors from the US .

The Stone you can also buy from the dog shop "slick n easy " about $6 this is used on the head,i also use it to strip the legs,feet & shoulder area ,stripping the kneck & can be used over the body .

The stone is great & i would suggest at present all you need.

Even in the US they will clip the necks but you need to blend the throat & i do a combo of thinners & stone on the Setters

Stripping knifes are like how long is a piece of string & how much do you want to spend .

We have hundreds of dollars worth of stripping tools & each have there use for coats & sections .

If you want some help at the show with gear i am happy to assist ,i show every weekend in Perth .

I am showing tommorrow so I will try and catch you there if you are going :D

do you mean cutting the coat makes it go fluffier? or the stone makes it go fluffier? Sorry Im a bit dopey lol.

I have been recommended the roseline brand by someone else too, Im glad to know that thx.

cutting the coat can make it fluffy

thx Becks, I thought that was it :o

I bought myself a pair of Mars thinning shears on Saturday. Wow, they are awesome, so much easier to use than I had imagined and I havent butchered my baby :thumbsup:

The key is go slow & steady ,trim & brush ,don't go crazy or you will butcher,better to trim alittle than regret it

Yep, thanks! I am only taking a small amount and then checking it before touching it again.

I was a beauty therapist in a past life & witnessed some terribly botched eyebrow waxes, so I dont want my dog to suffer the same embarrassment (not that I am humanising my dog in any way bahahaha)