Diarrhea With One Of My Boys

giraffez

One of my mini has diarrhea. I feed both my minis the same food and the other is okay. The one with diarrhea is still full of energy and being his normal self, no sign of discomfort. Sould i modify his diet to firm up his stool and if so, what with? He is currently on black hawk kibbles ( has been on it for a while now so it's not the kibbles) with sweet potato added or a banana. Should I stop the sweet potato and add rice instead?

Or should I be fasting him instead?

Edited by giraffez

How long has the diarrhoea lasted? I think the general rule is to stop feeding all together for 24 hours, or give boiled rice with chicken until stable. Make sure water is available as normal.

The BH thread in health has mentioned some digestive issues so maybe that's the cause?

Vet advice is always recommended but I will fast for 24 hours and then feed rice, pumpkin and chicken (all boiled together) for a couple of meals and then resume normal food. Ensure fluids are being consumed to prevent dehydration and any sign the dog is not otherwise themselves then to the vet.

Thanks guys.

It started in the early morning of Tuesday. No blood in the stools. And he threw up this morning of clear/white foamy liquid. No deviation in behaviour seen except he must have been upset this morning when i fed my other boy and not him. :) He is drinking water which is good.

He has been on BH for a while now and my other boy eats the same thing too so I don't think its the dog food. I gave him a bit of wombak (chinese cabbage) with his meal on Monday night, he has had it before (not often but has had it before).

Edited by giraffez

You haven't recently started a new pack of BH have you? I ask because my boy was fine on BH but started having problems. I couldn't understand it but some people on the other thread have had problems when stating a new pack. I still don't know if this is the case with Luka as I haven't reintroduced the BH yet. He is on Nutro for the moment.

I always fast for 24 hours, then start with plain boiled chicken and rice and once poos have firmed up, go back to kibble. Sometimes the change back to kibble can start things again. If so, I will return to the chicken/rice then reintroduce the kibble much slower. Just add a little to the chicken/rice and gradually increase until back to normal.

Hope he gets better soon

Edited by teekay

You haven't recently started a new pack of BH have you? I ask because my boy was fine on BH but started having problems. I couldn't understand it but some people on the other thread have had problems when stating a new pack. I still don't know if this is the case with Luka as I haven't reintroduced the BH yet. He is on Nutro for the moment.

I always fast for 24 hours, then start with plain boiled chicken and rice and once poos have firmed up, go back to kibble. Sometimes the change back to kibble can start things again. If so, I will return to the chicken/rice then reintroduce the kibble much slower. Just add a little to the chicken/rice and gradually increase until back to normal.

Hope he gets better soon

Thank you. No, the BH bag is half finished.

When fasting, how long before i will see the results of the stool firming up? 24 hours seem to be a long time without food for my ever hungry schnauzer (i'm sure he won't be too happy about that).

The poo isn't watery, its runny solid type.

Hope he gets better soon

Thank you. No, the BH bag is half finished.

When fasting, how long before i will see the results of the stool firming up? 24 hours seem to be a long time without food for my ever hungry schnauzer (i'm sure he won't be too happy about that).

The poo isn't watery, its runny solid type.

I also fast for 24 hours and then feed boiled chicken and rice. This usually binds them for a few days followed by firm stools. I keep them on it for 4-5 days and slowly reintroduce small amounts of dry foods.

Many people advocate a regular fast for dogs (obviously not on a day you're getting them to do lots of work). It rests the tummy and is more closely aligned to what happens in nature.

Many people advocate a regular fast for dogs (obviously not on a day you're getting them to do lots of work). It rests the tummy and is more closely aligned to what happens in nature.

Interesting!

Since my dog thinks with his stomach, it never occurred to me that this was ever an option! :)

Edited by giraffez

Ok my dog has been fasted for 24 hours. I gave him rice+chicken+pumpkin. He ate it all went outside and poo'ed a little (very little). Poo was very watery and was chocolate brown in colour (where as this morning was still yellow brown and not watery).

Hope the rice+chicken+ pumpkin would do wonders. Will check his poo again later tonight.

Guest english.ivy

I think it's about time for a vet visit ...... just in case .

Isn't if the diarrhea hasn't stopped after three days that you should see a vet? Well that is what it states on my current bag of dog and cat food.

How is your little guy this morning?

Thanks for asking.

He hasn't pooped this morning yet so i don't know. I but i think his poo was still runny yesterday night after the pumpkin, rice and chicken.

He is still eating and drinking and being his merry self. He was slightly weaker yesterday when i fasted him.

Is it still to early to go to the vet? Should I give some time for the food to take effect first? I called them yesterday and they asked me to monitor him for any degradation.

Edited by giraffez

You could try a probiotic. When Luka had the runs the vet gave him Poly-aid plus which I gave him for a few days. Not sure whether it was that that did the trick but might be worth a try.

I think you can use the innerhealth plus too but not sure how much you would give.

Hope he improves soon. If you are still concerned, though, I would pop him down the vets.

Well that is what it states on my current bag of dog and cat food.

.is that advice in relation to changing over of food..or a general rule?

..and how dangerous is that little bit of advice if general advice?! :(

Some conditions can be very debilitating or even deadly if left for that long !

Diarrhoea can be caused by many many things ...and often very watery diarrhoea can signify a blockage , as only very liquid faeces can seep past - left for 3 days ... not a good prognosis!