What Breed? - Shelter Dog

I think this dog has come up for adoption. Look at # 50834.. the markings look the same but he's got his happy face on.

http://www.animalaid...-adoptions.html

I was also told during the week that he was a young male, I don't really consider 6 young.. but if its the same dog, how much better does he look when he's out of the cage. hmmmm, hubby and I have had a lot of time to think about it during the week and are really undecided as to whether we "need" another dog. Surely it couldn't hurt to ask if its the same dog, and how he is with cats???

He looks a sweetheart,He will get snapped up quickly.Also love the border collie x spaniel.Lots of great dogs waiting for a home.

Hubby and I are having a battle here.. the thing is we never went to the shelter that day to look for a dog, we were simply dropping in some donations. My heart says go for it, but my head says we don't need the extra commitment etc.. I take pet ownership seriously and don't want to make a decision in the heat of the moment, then live to regret it. But if you met this dog, you'd know what I mean, his temperment was to die for, just amazing.

We are not battling each other, its a heart vs head battle.

I think if we are this unsure, its better to not go ahead.. I don't know how I'm going to stop thinking about him though.

Yes if your not sure ,let it go, he will find a good home.The shelter do a lot of screening of applicants.I had a similar thing when i went with Hubby to look at reptiles;there was an older pup i had seen there a few times and the more times i saw her the more smitten i was.I hate seeing them in pet stores but i'm pretty good at not falling for the cute pup but this one really got to me.I couldn't stop thinking about her but new i should let it go so i did.Eventually she was sold and i was just relieved she was out of there and in a home.

Once this dog is adopted you will feel the same .

Guest donatella

This is what I don't understand. Surely if a dog has interest, and all it has to do is past the temparment/health tests you get the tests done asap to get the dog out of the pound? why the bloody hold up when there is someone wanting to adopt the dog? i know these things shouldn't be rushed and both owners and dogs vetted to the very finer details but this pound sounds like they didn't give a brass razzoo that you were keen to adopt? Apologies if I'm reading this wrong.

It looks as if this dog will be safe and when you first saw him you thought he was at risk of being put to sleep. He will be okay.

Visiting shelters and pounds (even their websites) is something I try to stay away from. After viewing this website I have now seriously fallen for the black terrier, Spike, at Sale. He would fit in so well with my lot. Need a cup of coffee and something to read, or even better take my pair for a walk. :laugh:

donatella, this shelter has a very good reputation and generally does all it can to rehome as many cats and dogs as possible. Stray dogs must be held for a minimum of 8 days and assessments don't usually begin until this period is up. This shelter also works with trainers/behaviouralists so it sounds like they were a bit concerned about one aspect of his assessment, so gave him some more time or training etc, and now he is ready for adoption. And rescue isn't about first in best dressed - the pound may consider several families before deciding on the right one for the dog.

donatella, this shelter has a very good reputation and generally does all it can to rehome as many cats and dogs as possible. Stray dogs must be held for a minimum of 8 days and assessments don't usually begin until this period is up. This shelter also works with trainers/behaviouralists so it sounds like they were a bit concerned about one aspect of his assessment, so gave him some more time or training etc, and now he is ready for adoption. And rescue isn't about first in best dressed - the pound may consider several families before deciding on the right one for the dog.

Well said, this shelter is highly respected and this post was never about saying they didn't have the dogs interest at heart. I've only ever been there the once and what I saw left me feeling that they truly care about the animals in their care, I would have no problem supporting this shelter in the future with donations of any kind.

Even if this dog was available to adopt when we met him, we couldn't have that day anyway. Their policy is that all human members of the family need to meet the dog, plus our dog would have to have met him. A shelter that doesn't care about the animals, wouldn't go to those lengths to find the right home.

Guest donatella

I understand that, I'm pretty sure I even broke that down in my original post.

but this pound sounds like they didn't give a brass razzoo that you were keen to adopt? Apologies if I'm reading this wrong.

You were reading it wrong because at no point did I feel that they didn't give a damn. Yes, we showed interest in the dog, the dog simply wasn't ready to adopt yet. I'm in no way offended by the shelter, and don't feel harshly treated. They are doing their job, thats it.

Don't worry this gorgeous boy will probably have a home before the days out. One of the staff told me there is HEAPS of interest in him, which is totally understandable... he's divine.

Guest donatella

but this pound sounds like they didn't give a brass razzoo that you were keen to adopt? Apologies if I'm reading this wrong.

You were reading it wrong because at no point did I feel that they didn't give a damn. Yes, we showed interest in the dog, the dog simply wasn't ready to adopt yet. I'm in no way offended by the shelter, and don't feel harshly treated. They are doing their job, thats it.

Don't worry this gorgeous boy will probably have a home before the days out. One of the staff told me there is HEAPS of interest in him, which is totally understandable... he's divine.

My apologies, i read it wrong. I'm sure he'll have a home, he looks stunning and sounds like he's got the personality to match. I don't understand how such gorgeous dogs end up in pounds. I guess we'll never know the real background sometimes :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now what about Spike the black terrier. If I lived closer he would be here with me now. He's so gorgeous and I haven't even seen him.

I never saw him when I was there last weekend.. maybe he just came in.

He's on the website with the boy you liked. He's at Sale.

Just joking Michelluva. I fall for dogs on websites and in pounds all the time.

Just in relation to some earlier comments about why doesn't the pound get him out, why do more temperament testing...?

I took a dog home from a local pound just before xmas. He had some minor issues crop up in their initial temperament testing, but they believed he would be safe.

He wasn't. He tore my dog's face to shreds. It was awful. He had to go back to the pound, and she needed multiple surgeries.

They had seemed ok together in the pound. She was nervous and has always been anxious. He showed no signs initially that he would hurt her in any way. But when he launched a few days later, it was awful.

They had noticed some food guarding issues in their temp. testing, but that was all they had seen at that point. There were bigger issues lurking. No doubt the reason he landed in the pound to begin with.

So obviously I am all for pounds double-checking. I will probably never get a dog from a pound again. Yet I have had 4 pound dogs in my life, all good dogs. My current old girl (the one who was so badly injured) is 13 yo now and came from the same pound when she was 1 yo. But this experience has put me off, possibly permanently. They really do need to be careful.

Edited by Zug Zug

Just in relation to some earlier comments about why doesn't the pound get him out, why do more temperament testing...?

I took a dog home from a local pound just before xmas. He had some minor issues crop up in their initial temperament testing, but they believed he would be safe.

He wasn't. He tore my dog's face to shreds. It was awful. He had to go back to the pound, and she needed multiple surgeries.

They had seemed ok together in the pound. She was nervous and has always been anxious. He showed no signs initially that he would hurt her in any way. But when he launched a few days later, it was awful.

They had noticed some food guarding issues in their temp. testing, but that was all they had seen at that point. There were bigger issues lurking. No doubt the reason he landed in the pound to begin with.

So obviously I am all for pounds double-checking. I will probably never get a dog from a pound again. Yet I have had 4 pound dogs in my life, all good dogs. My current old girl (the one who was so badly injured) is 13 yo now and came from the same pound when she was 1 yo. But this experience has put me off, possibly permanently. They really do need to be careful.

I'm so sorry, thats an awful thing to go through. I hope your old girl will be ok.

Guest lavendergirl

Hi

I got my little girl from the RSPCA. The first time I saw her she was not available but I felt drawn to her so strongly. She was so ugly she was gorgeous if you know what I mean. (not saying the dog you like is ugly. He's a handsome fellow.) I went back a few days later and she had become available and I snapped her up at once. It was just the way she looked at me, something clicked in my head. She was between two dogs who were barking their heads off and her eyes were saying, 'please get me out of here' so I did and I have not regretted it. I learnt later that she was not available because she had just been desexed.

Good luck with Beau, :crossfingers: but make sure your head makes the final decision.

PD

Padraic you should read "Amazing Dog Stories" put out by Pet Rescue. You will find many stories similar to yours and stories of some truly wonderful dogs - it is a terrific book. Warning though - it will make you want to run out and adopt some more :D