Breed Recommendations For My Sister

nickyp

Guest donatella

Oh oh i have another.

A Maltese clipped short does not shed (as much as a dog cannot shed). 4-6 weekly trips to the groomers to keep the clip and you're done, no brushing needed in between.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's she going to do if she buys a Labradoodle and it sheds?? A lot do.

If she HAS to go that route at least she should get one from the breeders who are doing multi-gen dogs AND who health test.

Otherwise she's simply lining the pockets of a puppy farmer. :(

Her labradoodle did come from one of those breeders - she did her research the first time - and was a really well bred dog. Her dog had the poodle-type coat, so didn't shed, but it was incredibly thick and had to be kept clipped very short to avoid matting. The second dog, the spoodle, was a petshop purchase and she got lucky - it had the classic 'oodle coat that people expect. I've tried to explain puppy farmers and the lottery involved in buying one of their dogs, but she doesn't see it. The only issue the spoodle had was some separation anxiety and she managed to resolve it.

Westie - low shedding, adore people, don't stress if they don't get walked, love lounging around, good small-medium size, need some grooming and have a bit of spunk and personality - so a brilliant pure breed dog - so why would you buy a genetically risky oodle?

Our whole family loves westies - my brother has one and he's a lovely dog, but he's also an escape artist. That puts them out of the running. My sister's yard is secure (she's just had the fences replaced), but she would worry about the dog getting out. I'm also not sure if the terrier personality would suit her.

I'm glad your sister has a relatively open mind. In most cases though, the reality is that they want what they know and if they've previously been lucky and had happy, healthy crossbreds then that is what they'll automatically veer towards no matter how many fabulous purebreds are suggested to them and no matter how often they are told they were lucky with their previous dogs.

She really would like to just replicate her previous experience, but I've managed to convince her to consider the purebreds. She still might end up going the oodle route, but if she does, at least some thought will have gone into it first ... I hope.

There is no such thing as a non-shedding dog. Hair/fur falls out of all dogs.

Yes, but with a wool coated breed it stays trapped in the coat. I dont find poodle hair on my clothes or furniture Frankly I'm also quite surprised at some of the breeds suggested in this thread.

People like to recommend their personal favs - regardless of whether they really suit the purpose :laugh:

I personally think that if the OP was happy with a xbreed in the past why not look at the many suitable very young dogs up for rescue - many under 12 months old? Plenty of low shedders available.

My sister accepts that there is always going to be some shedding from any dog, she just wants the absolute minimum possible. She's a little OCD with her house cleanliness and finding pet hair around drives her nuts.

I expected to get a range of responses. Everyone likes to advocate for their favourite breed! I'm really not bothered by it.

I've mentioned rescue, but I suspect she's fallen in love with idea of raising a baby puppy. Her youngest daughter has just turned 18 and got her licence and my sister has had to give up work for the foreseeable future, so I think life's looking a little empty ATM. A puppy would fill her time.

Lagotto Romagnolo !!! IMO purebred version of a labradoodle hahah :) dont know if they shed or not though.. will get back to you on that one.

I don't think they shed, but I think they might be too big and energetic for my sister.

Suggest you take your sister to a dog show and see if you can meet some of these breeds. Lagotto wouldn't be far from what your sister already had if she wants to replicate her experience. They don't shed, and they aren't a big gundog breed.

You could also have her meet some of the other breeds that are possible - poodles, bichon, Bedlingtons etc...

I've jumped in here late so you've probably made your decision already, OP. But the beauty of the internet is that I get to have a say anyway!

From the little research I've done so far into my own choice of dog, I'm thinking your sister may like a Boston Terrier. They are hard to get hold of, though. Certainly the miniature Poodle would come into the equation, too.

There are a lot of people on this forum who rave about Affenpinchers, as well. They seem like a companionable, low-maintenance dog, too.

Just a few more ideas to consider...

Bostons shed and they are also quite active. Plus they cost a bomb and are hard to come by. Super cute dogs though. :)

Lagottos aren't very big - the ones I've met were about the size of a cocker spaniel.

Mini Poodles are awesome little dogs and as a pp mentioned, you can clip them however you like. I personally love shaved faces but you can give them little beards, etc. Bichons are also fantastic little dogs and VERY people oriented. Mini Schnauzers can be high energy but are also cute little dogs.

I've emailed the following list to my sister, with a link to the DOL puppy listings:

Poodle (miniature or toy)

Bichon Frise

Lowchen

Griffon Bruxellois

Affenpinscher

Lagotto Romagnolo

Bedlington Terrier

West Highland White Terrier

Lhasa Apso

Shih-Tzu

Now it's up to her.

I've emailed the following list to my sister, with a link to the DOL puppy listings:

Bichon Frise

Lowchen

Griffon Bruxellois

Affenpinscher

Lagotto Romagnolo

Bedlington Terrier

Lhasa Apso

Shih-Tzu

Now it's up to her.

Great list!!

Guest lavendergirl

Bichon Frise

Lowchen

Griffon Bruxellois

Affenpinscher

Lagotto Romagnolo

Bedlington Terrier

Lhasa Apso

Shih-Tzu

Now it's up to her.

Worth adding the Havanese to that list :)

Well, it seems the list might have been too much for my sister - too many breeds she hasn't heard of (rolly eyes would be useful here). I forget that not everyone reads the dog forum the way I do ... She thinks these breeds she hasn't heard of might be too 'exclusive', meaning too expensive, for her budget. She's accepted that she will probably need to spend $800 - $1000 for a crossbred from a petshop and assumes that a purebred pup from a breeder will cost more.

I suspect I might end up :banghead: - stubbornness is a family trait - but I'll give it another shot. So, my next question is, what breeds, that fit her requirements (non-shedding, small-medium, etc.), are likely to cost her less than $1000 to purchase?

Well, it seems the list might have been too much for my sister - too many breeds she hasn't heard of (rolly eyes would be useful here). I forget that not everyone reads the dog forum the way I do ... She thinks these breeds she hasn't heard of might be too 'exclusive', meaning too expensive, for her budget. She's accepted that she will probably need to spend $800 - $1000 for a crossbred from a petshop and assumes that a purebred pup from a breeder will cost more.

I suspect I might end up :banghead: - stubbornness is a family trait - but I'll give it another shot. So, my next question is, what breeds, that fit her requirements (non-shedding, small-medium, etc.), are likely to cost her less than $1000 to purchase?

.... hahah tell her to get some ball park figures, or maybe you can contact the breeders and do it for her?... maybe the whole process of picking a breeder, contacting them, ect is too much for her?

Guest donatella

You should send her the link in the Puppy section of this forum where the Border Collie pup was bought from a BYB and had to be put down as it had a preventable disease. Its a very sad thread to read and it might make her change her mind.

As for price, she'll need to go for the more popular breeds, the rarer ones are more expensive so definitely sway her towards a poodle of some size.

Edited by donatella

Which part of "puppies in pet shops come from puppy farms and most WILL shed" did she not quite grasp?

As for price, she'll need to go for the more popular breeds, the rarer ones are more expensive so definitely sway her towards a poodle of some size.

You won't buy a responsibly bred poodle pup from genetically and other health tested parents of ANY size for that price.

Guest donatella

You won't buy a responsibly bred poodle pup from genetically and other health tested parents of ANY size for that price.

thats funny because there is a toy poodle puppy advertised on this site for $1000.