Please Help Me Choose My First Dslr

Lollipup

The D5100 does not have a focus motor built into the camera, none of the entry level models do. This means that it has to be in the lens. So, it means you need to purchase the 50mm 1.8G, not the 1.8D.

Seriously, I cannot believe the amount of people that don't get told this in stores.

http://lenshero.com/lenses/nikon-d5100-built-in-focus-motor-lens

The D7000 is a far better camera if you can stretch it. I would buy the body only and then either the 50mm or something like the 70-200 as suggested. More outlay initially, but it will suit you for longer (providing you stick with it).

I speak from experience, I have upgraded 3 times in 2 years.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The D5100 does not have a focus motor built into the camera, none of the entry level models do. This means that it has to be in the lens. So, it means you need to purchase the 50mm 1.8G, not the 1.8D.

Seriously, I cannot believe the amount of people that don't get told this in stores.

The D7000 is a far better camera if you can stretch it. I would buy the body only and then either the 50mm or something like the 70-200 as suggested. More outlay initially, but it will suit you for longer (providing you stick with it).

Thank you! Does the D7000 have the focus motor? The 35mm lens that comes in the kit is a 1.8G so maybe he meant 1.8G in the 50mm too, I will make sure it is if I buy it. What about the other lenses in that kit? Would they have a focus motor? I just asked him about auto-focus and he said all the lenses for these Nikons have auto focus. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my question?

The only thing about the D7000 is that the LCD screen doesn't tilt upwards which I thought would be handy.

Thank you! Does the D7000 have the focus motor? The 35mm lens that comes in the kit is a 1.8G so maybe he meant 1.8G in the 50mm too, I will make sure it is if I buy it. What about the other lenses in that kit? Would they have a focus motor? I just asked him about auto-focus and he said all the lenses for these Nikons have auto focus. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my question?

The only thing about the D7000 is that the LCD screen doesn't tilt upwards which I thought would be handy.

Yes, the D7000 does have it and is apparently awesome in low light. Have the focus motor in the body makes the focus much faster. But yes, you need the 'G' in the lenses. The kit lenses will work with that body, otherwise they wouldn't sell them with that camera ;)

This is a handy comparison of the two models:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D7000

ETA What do you need the screen to tilt for? Video? Because I don't know anyone who uses liveview to take photos.

Edited by huga

Yes, the D7000 does have it and is apparently awesome in low light. Have the focus motor in the body makes the focus much faster. But yes, you need the 'G' in the lenses. The kit lenses will work with that body, otherwise they wouldn't sell them with that camera ;)

This is a handy comparison of the two models:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Nikon_D7000

ETA What do you need the screen to tilt for? Video? Because I don't know anyone who uses liveview to take photos.

The salesman said was good for low shots, can tilt the screen up and look at that instead of getting on the ground. But I guess it's not really necessary.

I meant would the kit lenses have the auto focus motor? Because the body doesn't?

Thanks again. I went back to the store today and held the Nikon D5100, I had held the Canon yesterday. I liked the Nikon. I had another guy help me and he recommended Nikon for low light situations. I asked him about the auto focus and he said they all have it??

The deal they have on at the moment is the Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses, and a 35mm lens, 2 batteries, a big gear bag, and 3 years warranty (an extra year) for $1349. And I did my tax return this morning and I'm getting $1000 back so it's perfect timing, I might be able to get it sooner than I thought.

The other option I was considering was going a step up to the D7000 but to get that with the same lenses was $2599 so a bit much. The 50mm lens f1.8 is $299 and I would get that a bit down the track and make do with the 35mm to start out with.

Just rang a friend and she is all Canon and so is everyone she knows so that was a bit confusing.

$299 for that lens is a premium price. CameraPro who are not grey importers are charging $254 and eGlobal have it as a grey import for $178. Here's a list of the D7000 packages from CameraPro and they have the body on its own for $1335 and again, are not grey imports. Here's the list of D7000 packages from DWI which are grey imports and they have the body on its own for $890 and then the list of D7000 packages from eGlobal which are also grey imports and they have the body on its own for $840.

Thanks, will check it out. Out of interest, what camera do you use Snook?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but with the Nikons, the 4 numbered cameras such as 3200, 5100 etc are classed as entry level, then the 2 numbered ones such as D80, D90 etc are semi pro then you go up into the pro range where you have the 3 numbers cameras, D300, D700, D800 and the one numbered camera, D3, D4 etc anything above the 4 numbered cameras has the autofocus. I could be wrong but thats how i think it works?

I used to have a Nikon D80 but wanted to upgrade and after doing a lot of research am jumping ship to Canon and going with the 7D body only and adding a 50mm (still haven't decided if it will be 1.4 or 1.8 yet) and also the 70 - 200 L F4 IS I love to shoot dog portraits and also action so for now those two lenses will be sufficient for my needs, then a 24 - 70mm will be on my wish list in the future.

I haven't got my camera yet and am just shooting with a Canon G1X which so far has been awesome, these a couple of shots in the thread called Experimental if you want to check them out.

It sure is mind boggling when stating out, I was lucky enough to start off with the D80 which I think served me well for a few years but It was time for something new for me. I lost my mojo for a long time but I think it is back!! :laugh:

Just go with Canon - far simpler :p

laugh.gif

Seriously though, I have no idea why Nikon made entry level cameras without an auto focus motor so that they had to make two types of the same lens and I still haven't worked out how on earth they came up with the numbering system for their cameras.. lol. At least Canon's was easy to figure out. I have no idea which Nikons are which except for the one I've got, the D800 and the D3X.

yeah they are confusing with the numbers. Canon is way simpler there. I think D7000 is the one before D800. Don't know how that makes sense.

Before the D800 is the D700 and the D300, the D7000 is classed in the semi pro range as far as I know but that is contradicting my earlier post about the 4 numbered Nikons being entry level, the D7000 is not entry level.

When I was deciding on which way to go my choice was either the D7000 or the Canon 7D. They are reasonable comparable in specs and price.

I know nothing about the entry level Canons, someone else might be able to help out with that one, or possibly it would be in the specs on the canon website for each camera.

HERE is a comparison between the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 7D

ETA: Just clarifying my comment about the Canon lenses and there only being one model. There are some that come with IS or without IS in the same focal length and f stop but you don't have to worry about the auto focus stuff. Where you see two the same (so the 70-200mm f4 for example) the more expensive one of the two is the one with IS.

Another thing to take into consideration is the difference between EF and EF-S Canon lenses. EF will fit on all Canon bodies, but EF-S are designed for the crop sensor bodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

Snook, do Nikon only have one 70 - 200? Did you get this? And is it f2.8? I just wondered how heavy it is? There is a big diff between the f4 and the f2.8 in the canon 70 -200.

I was only going to get the non IS as I will probly use it mostly for action etc but then decided for the extra couple of hunger bucks I'd be better off with the IS model.

I shouldnt be in this thread, I don't wanna be tempted to go back to Nikon. :laugh: I do think if I had a bigger budget I would have stuck with Nikon, but it is what it is. So I'll try to stick to my guns! :laugh:

Love all this new camera talk!