Accessories Help For New Camera?

Parkeyre

Hi there.

I've just purchased a new camera after playing with my second hand one.

I'm so looking forward to learning more then just pointing and shooting and aim to get away from the Automatic settings.

It's a Canon 60D twin lens kit (EF-S 44-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens & EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens).

Today I went and purchased a camera bag (Lowepro Adventura 170) and a pair of 32gb SD cards.

Now for my noob questions:

Can anyone tell me if there is a setup I can purchase that will allow me to take photos away from the camera to stack puppies?

Like a tripod and a remote or something?

Is there a particular MUST have lens I should be aiming towards purchasing?

Thankyou

Edited by Parkeyre

A must have lens would be the 50mm either 1.4 or 1.8 especially if you like doing portrait shots.

I am only just this minute looking at lenses and accessories such as a remote. Ebay is good if you just want a cheapie. I hope some others who already have remotes pop in as Id love to know if the ebay cheapies can do as good a job as a more expensive one. I got my tripod off ebay and its been a great work horse.

There has been a few threads lately Ill link them here for you.

THIS ONE

THIS ONE

Pictures HERE from the 50mm

What did you use before? I have only recently sold my Nikon D80 and upgrading to a Canon 7D soon. Looking forward to it. Enjoy your new camera and make sure you post photos.

Thanks tlc.

Previous camera was a 400D that stopped working about a month after buying it 2nd hand.

Ive just followed your advice and bought a 50mm 1.4 just now as well as that remote shutter you listed. Cheers!

Now I just need to find a decent tripod that wont blow over. :)

I'm so excited!!

Edited by Parkeyre

Im just excited checking out all the stuff I want. :laugh: Ill be super excited when I get my camera. I remember how excited I was when I got my D80. I am currently using a Canon G1X and it is awesome too.

What a bumma about your 400D that really sux. Tripods are a bit hit and miss online as you can't really get the feel of it till its in your hands. I was reasonably lucky with mine, its heavy but not to heavy to carry and definatley wouldn't blow over. I looked at some at Harvey Norman and they were flimsy and very light. Did you order your 50mm online? I was thinking about getting mine from DWI, good price but not sure about not getting the Australian warranty.

Yeah i just purchased it online through eGlobal for $56.00 then insured the freight. :)

I think I might go into HN on Saturday and see what feels right, they were who i bought my camera through

I did enjoy my 400D - I have no idea if I have upgraded or downgraded yet as I haven't tried it out. It's still in the box.

It's so pretty though!

:eek: $56 are you sure its the 1.4, I think for that price it might be the 1.8? Still a good lens though. You have definatley upgraded the 60D is without a doubt an awesome camera.

Why is it still in the box?! :laugh:

Oh another must have is filters for your lenses.

Edited by tlc

:eek: $56 are you sure its the 1.4, I think for that price it might be the 1.8? Still a good lens though. You have definatley upgraded the 60D is without a doubt an awesome camera.

Sorry yes, it's a 1.8. My bad.

Oh thank goodness. it was a fair penny to buy and didnt know if I was heading in the right direction as a complete newbie.

I am good at iphone photography! lol!

Filters?? What are these?? :D

It's still in the box because it's been raining and I'd really like to try it out on the dogs at the park or something first. :)

I'm off to Adelaide tomorrow so will have a look around some camera shops (if there are any around) and see about these "filters" you suggested. :)

Is this a good price or should I keep searching?

http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=852

All about filters

Choosing a filter

I have only ever used uv filters on my lenses mainly for protection more than anything else.

Yes that 50mm 1.4 is a good price. In the shops they are just over $500.

Did you order the 1.8?

I use my iPhone a lot too, I love instagram! :laugh:

Yeah I did order and pay for it, but might flick them an email and see if I can cancel my order.

So thats a good price then, awesome. :)

iphones are cool man! :D

:laugh: They sure are and I know it is probably so bogan but I have taken some good shots with mine! I love it! :laugh:

Yes definatley a good price, just make sure the warranty is Australian, some of the cheaper prices are still canon lenses but they are grey imports so they don't come with Australian warranties but at the end of the day if you have to send it back due to it being faulty then you would have to do the same at a store although depending not he store they may just replace.

The 1.8 is still a great lens, I had that on y D80 and it hardly ever left the camera. You would have seen Hugas work here, a lot of it done with the 1.8.

Edited by tlc

Be prepared for sticker shock on tripods. It's one item that expense can easily equal quality. Figure out your needs and a budget then work from there.

I rarely use my tripod - even when I remote trigger I often just set the camera on a table, chair, tree, rock or other moderately handy item :) I just hate carrying it and dicking around with it LOL

Have fun with the new toys!

About to head off to take the dogs and the camera to the park now that the weather is kinder.

I took this photo indoors on the Auto Function without flash.

I have a LOT to learn lol.

post-27720-0-79747100-1342938664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Parkeyre