Has Your Pet Saved Your Life?

kfittall

Hi. I'm the Suz that was mentioned above.

My boy, Billy a purebred Staffordshire bull terrier has become a very reliable seizure alert dog for my daughter - now 3.5yrs old. He first started alerting us when she was still a baby. She was asleep in her bed the first time he did it. Started yapping and howling at her door and we couldn't work out why. He was running from the door and out to us (in the lounge room). We opened the door to her room and he layer at the foot of her bed just moaning, then 10 minutes later she had a seizure.

He has continued to alert us and we now own his daughter (4.5mths), who is also showing signs of being able to alert us too.

He has not had any formal training, they just grew up together. She has had seizures from about 3mths of age and continues to get them, just less frequently now that she has had a shunt put in. He allows us to be able to move her to a safe place and watch her so that she isn't injured in anyway. I can also tell if she is sick as he will cling to her.

Suz I think that is amazing, that they are so in tune with the people they have bonded with. On the reverse side of things one of the rescue staffords I mentioned earlier started having seizures when he was 6 months old, which is why he came back to me. His mother had stayed with me and he was going to be pts because his epilepsy was so severe. One of his issues was being alone so I had arrangements with my neighbours that I would drive through their places on my way to work and drop him off for the day. He would be waiting for me in the afternoon from up the hill and come running when he saw my car. Despite having regular seizures we never saw any evidence of him having them when no-one was about. He seemed to know they were coming on and would always take himself into an open spot at ground level where he could be seen. I think that was why he felt a need to always be with people, even if they were just kind neighbours. But it saved him from accidentally injuring himself having a seizure alone. My neighbours were amazing too - cleaning him up and sitting with him till he came to after an event.

hi Tibbie_tabbie.

Thanks for your response - I do know the story about Lennox, and agree that it was completely terrible, inhumane and totally unnecessary. I was so sad when I read about it earlier in the month. And to think it was probably carried out to make an example - or maybe just because of pure ignorance.

I'm sorry that this is a little off-topic, but there was a dog called Lennox who helped his disabled owners daughter - he was her therapy dog and her playmate (her disability meant it was difficult for her to play with other children).

Due to him supposedly having 'pit bull features' (he was not a pit), he was kept in a appalling conditions for two years - no visits by the family allowed. He was put to sleep recently when the final appeal finished.

Many high profile dog behaviourists spoke out on his behalf (Victoria Stillwell was a committed supporter), and even offered to fly him to the US to live out the rest of his days.

The Facebook group has links to a lot of the websites: http://www.facebook.com/TheLennoxCampaign

I wanted to make this post as I wish to highlight the fact that even dogs that save and enrich lives can be subject to this treatment.

Hi Kfittall,

While I don't have any story I can share, I strongly feel that Lennox's story needs to be told. Our dogs enrich our lives in so many ways. It is time government and laws stop treating this bond lightly and heartlessly. If making a point took priority over a disabled child's happiness then it is very clear that they don't understand how important pets are.

My Tibetan Spaniel girl, Angel, saved the life of a toddler.

I was working in the back garden one Sunday afternoon. Angel was lying at the side gate, watching the passing parade outside. We live next to a bend in a suburban street that drivers use as a short-cut.

Suddenly Angel started screaming in a way I'd never heard her do before or since. It spelled mortal danger.

My first thought was that a snake had got her, so I came running. When I got to the gate, she was staring through the side fence, out onto the street. A toddler was standing in the middle of the road on the other side of the bend. I raced down, and picked her up.

As we got to the footpath, a white van came speeding around the bend. If Angel hadn't given the alarm, the toddler would've been right in its path.

I later found out that the toddler was visiting at the house over the road and had wandered out following a cat across the street. She'd then 'frozen' in the middle of the road.

Angel's story was written up in our vet's newsletter.

Here's a photo of Angel in her surveillance position at the side gate (click to enlarge):

post-3304-0-60565000-1343375221_thumb.jpg

And this was Angel when not on gate duty:

post-3304-0-76933800-1343375649_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

Hi. I'm the Suz that was mentioned above.

My boy, Billy a purebred Staffordshire bull terrier has become a very reliable seizure alert dog for my daughter - now 3.5yrs old. He first started alerting us when she was still a baby. She was asleep in her bed the first time he did it. Started yapping and howling at her door and we couldn't work out why. He was running from the door and out to us (in the lounge room). We opened the door to her room and he layer at the foot of her bed just moaning, then 10 minutes later she had a seizure.

He has continued to alert us and we now own his daughter (4.5mths), who is also showing signs of being able to alert us too.

He has not had any formal training, they just grew up together. She has had seizures from about 3mths of age and continues to get them, just less frequently now that she has had a shunt put in. He allows us to be able to move her to a safe place and watch her so that she isn't injured in anyway. I can also tell if she is sick as he will cling to her.

That is awesome Suz!!!! What fantastic dogs!