Urgent Help Please

Odin-Genie

My elkhound's whole face swelled up Thursday early morning. He was rushed to the vet. They did a full check up including blood and urine samples, ultrasound to see if there is any blockage but all seemed ok. So the vet gave him a cortisone injection and tablets which has now brought the swelling down significantly. They think that he has had a severe allergic reaction to something. So we are getting the whole backyard cleaned.

However, this morning we noticed that his whole stomach has turned a deep red colour. We are trying to get an appointment with the vet. But I was wondering if you have seen anything like this before and have any advice on what could be causing it?

Our girl had this as part of an allergic reaction - but if he has already had one bad allergic reaction with significant swelling this week, I would be going straight to the vet anyway; or if you can't get an appointment I would go to an emergency vet if there is one near you.

Our girl had this as part of an allergic reaction - but if he has already had one bad allergic reaction with significant swelling this week, I would be going straight to the vet anyway; or if you can't get an appointment I would go to an emergency vet if there is one near you.

Thanks coogie. The vet just called back (and I must add that the vets at the Ku Ring Gai Vets are amazing) and said that it is an extension of the allergic reaction and will go down in a day or so.

Glad he is ok, I hope you find the cause,worst thing is not knowing what it is. In our case it was a plant in the yard.It hasn't happened again so fingers crossed yours is a one off as well.

Our hound came up with a severe allergic reaction to something all over his stomach and chest - still have no idea what caused it but the vet gave him an injection and it gradually cleared up. Glad your dog is recovering OK - it can be very scary.

Just to make sure... His stomach isn't "bruised" looking is it??

If the skin is just red, yep could be allergic reaction. Just wanting to make sure he isn't bleeding under the skin which could be an emergency :) hope his skin is just red n Im being paranoid! :)

Just to make sure... His stomach isn't "bruised" looking is it??

If the skin is just red, yep could be allergic reaction. Just wanting to make sure he isn't bleeding under the skin which could be an emergency :) hope his skin is just red n Im being paranoid! :)

No it's not bruised. I checked him thoroughly. It's not sore or itchy either. It's just red but it's lessening now.

For the last three days he barely managed to get up and was wheezing through the night on Friday due to the swelling in his throat. He wouldn't even get up to eat. I hand fed some sardines mixed with his medicines but he didn't want to finish that either.

But this morning he was excited about his breakfast and went out by himself. So we left home for an hour to buy some stuff.

When we got back my OH opened he door and went in while I was getting things from the car. He suddenly said "come quickly"! So I went in and there was white fluff everywhere!!!! My dog was feeling better and had his energy back so had decided to trash his bed.

I must say I've never been so happy to see a trashed bed!!!! We were so happy to see him playing.