Pets Paradise In Receivership

Katdogs

1343944559[/url]' post='5918343']

Thank you stormie, your the first person to at least understand what I'm trying to say, and I respect that that's your informed opinion...sure beats listening to people put on their blinkers and instantly slender all pet shops as evil and all breeders as god-like!

No, not god like but pet shops that sell animals, where do you think they source their animals from? Puppy farms, BYB, and unethical registered breeders.

I don't know anyone who would want to be an apologist for these but it appears you do.

You appear to be puzzled that DOLers disagree with you. You're on a pedigree dog forum. Why on earth did you imagine you would get anything other than short shrift from a group of people who hold ethical breeders to the most stringent of standards?

If you cannot understand this most basic of things then this is not the place for you.

Edited by Sheridan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

Have you at least an example of a pet shop that screens the owners though? I've never heard of it before but I'm interested to hear if there are.

There are some god awful puppy warehouses here in Brisbane that sell puppies. You can walk in and there are pen after pen of puppy and you pick what you want. Almost like going into a grocery store and picking up things off the shelf.

I know a girl who from this store bought at one time a Border Collie, a Huskie and a Lab. She then went back a few weeks later and bought a Malumute :eek:

She loves these dogs with all her heart, they are allowed inside and are one of the family but boy is it hard work. She is also 9 months pregnant, I am eagerly watching this space to see if/how long these poor dogs last as its only her and her husband. Surely no ethical registered breeder would have sold a pup in a home to this situation? The dog warehouse was more then happy to so long as she kept parting with her money...

Thank you stormie, your the first person to at least understand what I'm trying to say, and I respect that that's your informed opinion...sure beats listening to people put on their blinkers and instantly slender all pet shops as evil and all breeders as god-like!

Sorks, since you are brand-new to this forum, you are not aware of the background to the comments being made in response to this thread.

You are accusing the wrong people of being reactive, ill-educated,and/or judgemental.

The opinions of the majority of the posters on these fora are based on a great deal of individual experience, broadened by the sharing of information between the members both here and in real life.

We categorically refuse to support the sale of puppies through pet shop-type situations, or markets, or even registered breeders who "have terrible ethics and poor breeding practices", as Stormie says.

In fact, read Stormie's post again, and then read ~*Shell*~'a post again.

This will probably not be popular but I can't be happy about a company going into receivership. :(

I would have much preferred that they were not allowed to sell animals but continued to operate.

All these companies going into receivership is not good for Australia.

I would be happy about puppy farms going into receivership though!!! They can all go, thanks very much!

Edited by JulesP

Who said all breeders were God-like??

It certainly wasn't me. Methinks you exaggerate Sorks.

Poor behavior from some breeders doesn't excuse the sale of pups who should still be with their litternates to people who half the time have no idea what they are getting into.

I come at this from the perpective of a dog trainer. We get to try to sort some of these issues out. That's if the owner hasn't adopted the "easy come, easy go" approach and offloaded the pup when the going got tough.

You clearly have no idea how many petshop and BYB puppy buyers thus forum has assisted over the years.

I purchased an Akita puppy from a registered breeder, they weren't much help, didn't pass on feeding information etc, called them a week later to let them know how she was going, barely remembered me, let alone cared! Couple of minor health hiccups and we were on our way, beautiful dog. 18 months later we walked past a pet shop and saw Akita pups, we had been thinking about a pal for our big girl and approached the 'shop assistants', couldn't have been more knowledgeable bunch, gave us so much more info on the breed (a trying one to raise as some of you may be aware), fortunately we had one already and knew what to expect. First and foremost we were not allowed to purchase the pup for 48hrs, they would hold him and told us to go home and think about it, we came back and they took us thru everything, health, feeding, training (including training companies that we ended up taking both the kids too), oh and the pup came with papers, as they had acquired the pups through registered breeders....and for the record, this is a dogs online forum, pretty sure it doesn't say 'pedigree dogs online', do you exclude people who have a crossbreed dog1

1343950640[/url]' post='5918412']

I purchased an Akita puppy from a registered breeder, they weren't much help, didn't pass on feeding information etc, called them a week later to let them know how she was going, barely remembered me, let alone cared! Couple of minor health hiccups and we were on our way, beautiful dog. 18 months later we walked past a pet shop and saw Akita pups, we had been thinking about a pal for our big girl and approached the 'shop assistants', couldn't have been more knowledgeable bunch, gave us so much more info on the breed (a trying one to raise as some of you may be aware), fortunately we had one already and knew what to expect. First and foremost we were not allowed to purchase the pup for 48hrs, they would hold him and told us to go home and think about it, we came back and they took us thru everything, health, feeding, training (including training companies that we ended up taking both the kids too), oh and the pup came with papers, as they had acquired the pups through registered breeders....and for the record, this is a dogs online forum, pretty sure it doesn't say 'pedigree dogs online', do you exclude people who have a crossbreed dog1

Perhaps you should have done your registered breeder homework better. As to your story about the pet shop, do please name this paragon. rofl1.gif

You should also have done your homework on DOL before joining.

and for the record, this is a dogs online forum, pretty sure it doesn't say 'pedigree dogs online', do you exclude people who have a crossbreed dog1

LOL check the header - Dogzonline Australia's pure breed dog community

No one has EVER said that all breeders are god-like and many people here don't give a hoot about show results - I certainly don't.

These ethical pet shop breeders that you talk about, do they health test (not vet check, I mean genetic test) their breeding stock for heritable diseases? Are the dogs hip and elbow scored? Do they know the lines that their animals come from and their pedigree? Do they offer to take the dogs back, even if they are returned years later? If so, I can't see how it would be anything but a loss making business?

and for the record, this is a dogs online forum, pretty sure it doesn't say 'pedigree dogs online', do you exclude people who have a crossbreed dog1

Plently of people here have cross breeds and unpapered dogs! You're just not meant to promote cross breeds

Plently of people here have cross breeds and unpapered dogs! You're just not meant to promote cross breeds

sorks said DOL didn't say anywhere it was for pedigree dogs - I was pointing out that it did :)

There are some really good pet shops out there, there is some that aren't good....there are some really good breeders out there, then there is also some that aren't good...stop assuming and categorizing every pet shop you see as being inhumane, disgusting and assuming they have no care in the world for animals because that is entirely untrue...not all pet shops buy from puppy farms and just because some breeders have gone out there and got themselves 'show titles' that makes them oh so much better...and for the record, some breeders confine their pups too! I know first hand many breeders that sell their pups to pet shops and are quite happy to do so, the reason: because not all pet shops are as evil as you all make out!

I agree.

While I don't agree with pups/kittens being sold in pet shops, my local pet shop is a really good independent one and sells the occasional 'oops' litter for locals. This particular pet shop would provide a heck of a lot more to the pups that some reg'd breeders. There is good, bad and acceptable in all the possible scenarios of where a pup can come from. But if a puppy buyer can find an ethical registered breeder who puts their all in to their pups then there is no comparison IMO. These sort of breeders are definitely out there too! It is just a shame that they can be difficult to find for those puppy buyers who aren't savvy, educated 'shoppers'.

You might wish to be aware Sorks that in some States, it is a breach of the Canine Control's Code of Ethics for an ANKC Registered breeder to sell pups to a pet shop.

I'm glad your purchase worked out. I sincerly hope that ever other pup in that litter went to a buyer knowledgeable about the breed.. but I doubt it.

My local RSPCA keeps stats and knows that puppy shop sourced pups are over represented in dogs surrendered to them... so there's an issue right there.

Seriously guys, stop feeding the troll?

Just because a member has a difference of opinion it doesn't make them a troll!

Yet when someone signs up just to post in one thread about that one opinion, loudly, it does make them a troll.

1343952229[/url]' post='5918435']
1343951971[/url]' post='5918432']
1343946660[/url]' post='5918360']

Yet when someone signs up just to post in one thread about that one opinion, loudly, it does make them a troll.

Sorks has posted in the parvo thread in news ... to take a pop at registered breeders.

1343952229[/url]' post='5918435']
1343951971[/url]' post='5918432']
1343946660[/url]' post='5918360']

Sorks has posted in the parvo thread in news ... to take a pop at registered breeders.

Point proven :p

You might wish to be aware Sorks that in some States, it is a breach of the Canine Control's Code of Ethics for an ANKC Registered breeder to sell pups to a pet shop.

I think you can if the petshop is a member of PIAA??? There aren't many that are.