First Litter Advise

valleygirl

This is my first and my bitches first litter.

What a wonderful experience and we were blessed with a safe and mainly unassisted whelping. She is a great mum. Shes a bit finiky at the moment with food but shes always been that way but starting to eat the puppy biscuits mixed with chicken and a little gravy. The main worry I have is she wont leave the pups to go to the toilet. She has only been once since the birth that was 24 hours ago. Any suggestions or is this normal.

Make sure any other dogs are locked away from the pups and the area you are taking the bitch to. Take the bitch out on lead. Hopefully she'll go quickly for you otherwise repeat in an hour or so. Aim for at least 3 times in 24 hours. I found it pointless asking my girl to go any more frequent then 5 or 6 hours in the first few days.

:) Sounds good -

and remember ,so much of the liquid she has consumed is being used to replace liquid she lost, and also to stock the milk bar ..plus the food she's getting may be high digestibility - with not much left to get rid of :)

Also, if you feed her in the nest ..she will see no need to move :p

I tend to not leave food/water so close she doesn't have to walk a few steps ..ie: no breakfast in bed .

It often takes a few days for her to get into a pattern ...

She needs to feel absolutely sure her pups are in a safe & secure spot ..hidden from sight, & unable to be accessed by any dogs - then she will be happier to leave them .

if she has direct access to outside , I wouldn't worry . She will go when she has to :)....As long as she's not too hot , and happily stretched out feeding /cleaning babies , enjoy the peace while it lasts !

Our bitches often only leave the nest once or twice a day ..and then it's just for a minute.

Mine too - they have to be taken out for a wee and they just bolt straight back - but in a few days things will change - our girls generally stay with the pups nearly the whole time for the first three days then in the middle of the night they may come up to us in bed - jump up say hello and then straight back to the pups - they get into a routine after a little while though and don't spend as much time with the pups. Also congratulations on your first litter - well done.

Thankyou for your answers, I have put the other dogs well away and after leaving her in peace for 4 hours or so. She came outside for lots of squats and the other and even though she was anxious about the pups seemed to quite enjoy a good stretch and cuddle without them after 5 mins that was enough though. Same thing this morning but even less time outside but at least shes out and doing it.

I must add what a great forum this is. It has been very helpful and by searching I've found many questions Ive been wanting to ask already answered.