Starting Up A Dog Boarding Business

JozMan

Hi JozMan, I am currently working in a boarding kennels and cattery over Christmas and can already see huge flaws with the design of the set up. I throughly recommend you spend some time working at atleast a few places to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. There is another girl who also works there who wants to set up a cattery and is doing a tafe course in a that area - that is an option for you to study and learn a bit about the industry. She has seen several cattery designs as part of her course. As someone who is considering setting up something from scratch you have the opportunity to become familiar with latest research on reducing stress and boredom and should consider working in several strategies into your design.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for giving your feedback.

For those who gave me an estimated amount of money I would need could you please break that figure down and say how much everything would cost that gave you that figure.

For those who gave me an estimated amount of money I would need could you please break that figure down and say how much everything would cost that gave you that figure.

Sandgrubber gave you a an estimate of different costs.

The main cost is finding a property close and convenient to your customers while being far enough away from neighbours so the dogs don't disturb them. These properties don't come cheaply but it depends on what city you want to operate in. Some areas just don't allow permission for this type of business at all.

It isn't that simple it is something you need to do & get quotes ,Cost have gone up,council requirements are different & can vary greatly from shires etc etc

You have builder s fees the list goes on

Depends on what you want to build your kennels out of

But the obvious starting point is buying a property .

& making it safe.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, back again and after everyone's thoughts and opinions once more. I'm still wanting to create my own dog boarding business one day but I understand I'm going to need a substantial amount of cash, experience and I'm going to be older because people don't want someone my age looking after there dog. So I'm just waiting until I do have that experience, age and money.

I've finished school and have been looking for a job. It's bloody hard enough getting a job let alone getting one in the animal field. So I've been thinking of creating my own dog walking and pet minding business. I've done quite a bit of research and know I'll need to get public liability insurance and a police check, I've got great computer skills and know that I'd be able to set up a great website, I would really utilise social media which I'm also really accustomed too and I know a lot of people that would help with spreading the word.

I'm really interested to know all your opinions on dog walking and per sitting, and would you suggest it? I really hope to hear from some of you, many thanks once again,

Josh.

Josh

You might want to investigate stuff related to training animals - tho it may involve extra study, and anything related to basic animal care - eg grooming, dog massage, first aid.

And have you considered farm work on a place that runs animals? Sheep / wool farm or cattle farm or horse racing industry? Or if you want some insanely hard work and ridiculous hours - dairy.

And then there's the stuff related to national parks and wildlife, and biological studies and research - ie going out and surveying fauna. I've done a few trips helping do surveys on various animals, some with the South Australian Museum and Adelaide Uni scientists. Cost me money but I learned heaps. And we got to study critters in the wild.

Boarding kennels that can offer some element of dog grooming (so a clean and trim dog goes home with the owner) and some training - so you can get the dogs to do what you tell them when you need, and some boarding kennels offer basic training - tho I have a hard time seeing the point of training the dog without the owner - apart from just general management stuff like to walk with you where you want to go.

So you might want to investigate some study along the lines of NDTF (National Dog Training Federation) that covers many different dog training techniques. It would be easier and cheaper to set up a dog training business (don't need your own real estate) than a dog boarding business (do need your own realestate with the right facilities on it)...

There are several people in my area doing this and all earn a good wage from it. They ones I know personally already had dog handling experience, one is a former obedience trainer and has competed at a good level, the other did a few years in kennels and for the rspca, so they can both cope well with the more difficult dogs.

One friend has been bitten a few times doing home visits, as the dog was protecting the house from the stranger (she now has a pepper spray for protection!).

It would be worth dog some sort of general canine study course, so you can show you have understanding of what dogs are like and that you can manage all sorts of breeds and temperaments.