Flaxseed Oil

Stitch

Which is the best brand to buy and where is the best place to buy it??

I believe that it has to be cold pressed and kept below 30C or preferably in the fridge.

Health food stores have it but it costs about $30 :eek:

Does anyone know if it is available anywhere at a more affordable price???

Guest Augustine The Boxer

You may wish to try Organic Flaxseed Meal instead. It is much much cheaper in stores and it has some benefits that oil does not. Here is an excerpt from our website:

Flax seeds need to be ground to make the nutrients available (otherwise they just “pass through”). People often wonder what the difference is between Flaxseed Meal & Flaxseed Oil and while the oil has its benefits, there are definite drawbacks. Flaxseed oil has more than double the calorie count. Processing the flaxseed meal into the oil also processes out many valuable nutrients. A scant tablespoon of flaxseed has about 2 grams of the most desirable fibre, but the oil is fibre-free. Processing also removes the lignans which have been shown to reduce risk of breast cancer and is believed one of the reasons that vegetarian women have lower rates of cancer. Flaxseed oil also strips the seeds of their vitamin B1, protein and calcium payload.

I give my lot flaxseed meal now, rather than the oil, much easier on the hip-pocket.

if you buy just the whole flaxseeds you can grind them up in the coffee grinder. I keep the packet in the freezer to keep it fresh.

Yes I agree about price. It is without a doubt one of the healthiest ingredient we use, and the most affordable.

Edited by Augustine The Boxer

Augustine, Which is the best for coat and skin...meal or oil???

What would the meal dose size for a medium sized dog?

Espinay, I saw the Stoney Creek website but it seems rather expensive.

I am now confused as to whether I should be using meal or oil???

In my opinion you would be better off getting the Melrose organic flaxseed oil from Safeway for half the price, it's virtually the same product.

Sorry Stitch didn't see your questions there. I would always go for the meal instead of oil as it has gone through less processing and contains nutrients that the oil does not (check out my earlier post). Oil and meal both have their benefits but I have had positive feedback on Augustine's SuperBoost which contains a decent amount of flaxseed meal. The reports of healthier skin and coat are consistent.

Kibble feeders may find oil easier to use. If you do feed kibble you can try mixing flaxseed meal into it using a little bit of water or better yet virgin cold-pressed coconut oil.

Try adding anywhere between 30g and 65g in every kilo of your dog's food. How much you use may depend on how well you can mix it into the dog's food. There is no "set" amount to use but you should see results within that range.

Although we sell Organic Flaxseed Meal, honestly unless you are purchasing a number of products from our online store or wanting to purchase kilos of flaxseed meal you will find it cheaper to go to Safeway and by the 500g certified organic melrose flaxseed meal. Here is a photo of the packaging.

flaxn.jpg

Melrose make 2 dogs products oil & granules.

Go the granules

We recommend the granules to many people & very budget friendly & doesn't smell,

The oils stink

You can by the human version but i believe some require an additional it supplement