I'm New- Help!

emilyellis

Hi there, as the title says, I am new to this forum.

I have been showing horses all my life and have just bought a cavalier king Charles spaniel and am wanting to find out some information regarding showing standards, tips etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? She is purebred with papers but at what age do you start showing puppies? She is 8 weeks old.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to this forum :)

Ideally your breeder should be able to give you all the support required or the very lease be able to answer any questions regarding showing .

They should have also explained why at 8 weeks they felt your pup shows ring potential & what points they like or would prefer better .

http://www.cavalierclubvictoria.com/breed-standard.html

http://www.cavalierclubqld.net/

You can show the dog from three calendar months

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/

Some states run classes otherwise heading down to shows & watching is the best thing & if your breeder isn'thelpful finding someone else who will help you can be handy but also be aware it isn;t always easy for people to help at shows due to being busy & the fact it often the only time they get to themselves form a busy working week.

People will generally help but not all the time .

There is a Championship Show on at Durack this Sunday 19th.

It is the Toy Dog Club of Queensland Championship Show.

Rings 14 15 and 16 have been allocated to the Toy Group.

This is the rings you will find Cavs in.

Cheers.

Sorry, forgot it starts at 9.00 am.

Edited by oakway

Being a Cavalier, training is ESSENTIAL. they can be quite a handful in the ring (we have 6) especially from baby puppy stage.

There is loads of info in the links above, but breed specifically -

Get them used to walking around on a lead with thier head up, have the lead nice and high right under thier chin, which usually makes thier topline look ALOT better. Easy said, not so easy done. I think that's one of the most important things with Cavies!

Teach it to stand on a table, try in front of a mirror - front legs should be straight up and down like the number 11, and the back legs stretched appropriately so that the topline is level. Again keep the lead nice and high under the chin and encourage it to put it's head up. As with other breeds, get your pup used to being handled and its mouth being examined, first by family members, and then by as many people as you can.

Try and use thier 'positive energy'. Judges seem to LOVE cavies that are happy in the ring, wagging thier tail, so its a fine line to walk between getting the pup to behave, and beating thier personality out of it - don't be too harsh, especially while young.

Don't string the dog up when moving - that is forcing it's head up by holding the lead high (above your shoulder) it makes the dogs movement plaid (kick out its front feet)

At first when you start at 3 months in the ring, as a pup your Cavie may spin, jump, leap - do anything but walk really - don't stress too much, pretty much all Cavie pups seem to do this, so don't freak out too much, but do keep practicing.

And lastly, I have found most Cavalier people to be really quite friendly, so try and introduce yourself to some of them, and get some tips. Don't worry about the competition, go and have some fun and enjoy the day, and if you win it's a bonus!

I found this thread entertaining in a schadenfreud kind of way - it's funny and you might learn from others' foobars.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/194647-horrendous-handling-blunders/

Most threads I've read about getting into showing - recommend talking to your dog's breeder about it. And some dog clubs or dog breed clubs run show handling classes which might be helpful. But anything on how to train a puppy to do what you want under distraction - will be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the help guys!! You have been so helpful :)

The breeder is in VIC so i am unable to get help with training but will see how i go :)

I will be at the Durack show and have a look around and talk to some breeders.

Thanks again i cant wait!

She is 10 weeks so will start training her to stand straight and work on leading.