Every Victorian Should Watch 7.30 Report Tonight 24/8

Bug

Graeme McEwen, chair of the Barristers Animal Welfare Panel (BAWP) will be talking about BSL on the 7.30 report tonight(Fri).

BAWP successfully secured the release of Butch who was seized under Victoria's BSL laws. Butch was held for a period of 305 days during which his owners were not allowed access to visit their dog. The City of Ballarat has admitted to spending $100K defending this case.

I agree, except I would say every Australian. I'll be watching.

I don't think the Friday night 7.30 report is nation-wide, they have state-specific programs. I would think it will be available on line though.

Ahhh thanks for letting me know, I'll look out for the online link!

Peter Walsh :mad I wanted to reach into the tv and rip his head off.

What a croc.

When asked about the legislation all he can do is talk about dogs that have attacked before, when the dog in question did nothing?!

Argh! It's madness, these people are morons!

On the other side, Graeme was eloquent and intelligent and didn't have to resort to hysteria.

Edited by Aussie3

I don't pay my membership to dogsvictoria for them to use my money to support seizing pets that have never bitten anyone. Or are dogsvictoria and this panel of judges going to be paid by the councils or government.

It is a disgrace that they would be part of any legislation which is proven to be ineffective and just kill innocent pets

I joined dogsvictoria because I love dogs regardless of pedigree. It doesn't take a pedigree to give love!

VIC has lost control Re BSL via idiotic pandering, as a state they are now null and void in progressive dog management and control. Now far behind all other states of Australia, a true regression in its literal sense, they don't even realise withe every utterance the rest of Aus is just shaking there heads in wonderment.

J.

VIC has lost control Re BSL via idiotic pandering, as a state they are now null and void in progressive dog management and control. Now far behind all other states of Australia, a true regression in its literal sense, they don't even realise withe every utterance the rest of Aus is just shaking there heads in wonderment.

J.

Gecko, I totally agree. Total madness, and I think anyone associated with this should be ashamed of themselves. No true dog lover would take part in any of this. :mad I am not even surprised about dogs victoria really. They helped write the Standard. Wonder what the pay off is this time?

Why would Dogs Victoria be offering themselves to identify restricted breeds of dog when they don't actually register any of those breeds? If anything it smacks to me of a nasty political move to try and prevent any attempt to include more registered breeds into the lists of restricted breeds (WA is trying to include Mastiffs and mastiff xs). If that's the case and they think throwing cross-breed dogs onto the fire will protect registered breeds they might as well change their name to "Only Some Dogs Victoria".

There was some interesting research done in the US around the ability of shelter staff to identify Pit Bulls or Pit Bull xs. Turns out, most people are pretty bad at it.

1. 120 total dogs: 25 “true” pit bulls by DNA analysis + 95 “non-pit bulls”

2. Shelter staff identified 55 out of the 120 dogs to be pit bull type breeds

3. Only 36% of these dogs actually were true pit bulls by DNA analysis.

4. Shelter staff missed identifying 5 (20%) of the 25 true pit bulls.

5. Only 8 (32%) of the 25 pit bulls were identified as a pit bull by all staff.

Research is here: http://www.maddiesfund.org/Documents/Resource%20Library/Incorrect%20Breed%20Identification%20Study%20Poster.pdf

Dogs NSW are directly involved in BSL in NSW.

Their dog show judges are the ones who assess the dogs and decide if they are restricted.

They collect $25 from every breed assessment. The assessor gets the other $25 for their time.

They make money from BSL and have been advertising a course on identitying restricted breeds for ages (but haven't run it for quite some time).

Seems like DOGS VIC are following in their footsteps.

Show judges in Vic have been helping people who have had their dogs seized to get them out by being "experienced assessors" and they aren't charging for this. I would imagine the government is none too happy about that given how many cases have been lost based on those assesments, and that pressure has been applied. It is very hard for Dogs Vic to fight the government in Vic because they don't have the numbers to begin with and because there are certainly strong arm tactics being used...there would have to be as most people I speak to aren't at all happy with what's going on. Remember too that Vic dogs and Victorian breeders have a new legislation dangling over their heads like the sword of Damocles. Sadly sometimes you have to put your own first even when that goes against what you would like to do.

Just for the record I hate these laws too and fought to stop them going through but of course they just got steam rolled through regardless. :mad

Show judges in Vic have been helping people who have had their dogs seized to get them out by being "experienced assessors" and they aren't charging for this. I would imagine the government is none too happy about that given how many cases have been lost based on those assesments, and that pressure has been applied. It is very hard for Dogs Vic to fight the government in Vic because they don't have the numbers to begin with and because there are certainly strong arm tactics being used...there would have to be as most people I speak to aren't at all happy with what's going on. Remember too that Vic dogs and Victorian breeders have a new legislation dangling over their heads like the sword of Damocles. Sadly sometimes you have to put your own first even when that goes against what you would like to do.

Just for the record I hate these laws too and fought to stop them going through but of course they just got steam rolled through regardless. :mad

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Well said - agree 100%

What right do they have though? I can understand being involved in matters of purebreeds who are mistaken for pitbulls in identification, but how can they claim to be able to identify a percentage of a restricted breed within a multiple breed. Or is this yet again about Amstaffs? Due to the explosion of BYB's within that breed.

My god it's pathetic, DNA evidence is inadmissible in VCAT as cited in previous VCAT hearings, so I guess people could get two pitties and two BYB papered amstaffs breed the crap out of the pitties and then hang DogsVic papers on them.

Pathetic Mr Peter Walsh, you sir are a balls up extraordinaire.

And to constantly bring up the Chol families misery about dog breeds whenever these come up is the mark of a true cretin.

I can't post any more, he's one of the most disgusting humans to exist in Australia with an influence of power and he makes my blood boil.

Edited by GeckoTree

What is the new legislation dangling over our heads?