Help..labrador Skin Problem.

dBUG

Guys,

This morning I was combing cookie (black labrador) and I saw heaps of red-ish pimple-like rashes under his fur.

Sorry, pics aren't very clear:

cookie_3-1.jpg

cookie_2-1.jpg

cookie_1-1.jpg

At first i suspected it was mosquito bite, as there are a lots of mosquitos in where I live (i.e. Indonesia).

But all of these "rashes" are under the fur..is it even possible for the mosquito to get under the fur?

I also notice some of them are dry and becoming scalp.

Edit: Forgot to add, cookie was fed with Science Diet Mature for couple of months and only recently changed to Pinnacle for a few days, and again changed to Canine Caviar yesterday.

Cookie was migrated to Indonesia since June from Melbourne. Could weather be the factor? It's hot and humid here in Indonesia.

Any idea what they are and how I can treat cookie?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks alot!

Edited by dBUG

They look a bit like mosquito bites, I've seen those kind of marks on my current and my ol girls skin.

Is your lab scratchy? Or does it have dry skin?

They should just heal up but from my experience the patch of hair goes with the scab and the hair takes a while to come back.

How old is cookie?

Edited by Tara8430

I've seen Cookie scratched himself from time to time, nothing excessive in his body tho.

He scratched his chin until it bleed a little bit once..I just used some betadine.

Cookie is 8 yo.

His skin isn't very dry.

I also forgot to mention there's another dog at home, my in-law's dog, a Schnauzer who also has skin problem sometime.

Louis, the schnauzer, currently has a patch on his chin (bigger than cookie's). He often scratches his chin too. We think it's fungus..it could be from the humidity and usually his beard gets wet after he drinks.

Unfortunately, the animal clinic closes until next week due to the Islamic Holiday. :( :(

You can always try pawpaw on it which wouldn't hurt.

Calv had a lesion similar in between his eyes of all places - red, scabby and hair was thinning out around it. Not particularly itchy but every now and then he'd have a go at it. It looked to me like eczema.

The vet said it was probably dermatitis or an insect bite that he hadn't left alone enough to properly heal. The treatment options were to either try pawpaw or go straight to a steroid/antibiotic/antiinflammatory medicated cream. I went the cream and it cleared it within 2 days and hair has thickened back up.

If these home remedies don't work maybe take Cookie in to the vet?

Edited by caind01

............. Calendula Tea .... brew it, let it cool and then wet up the skin with it and let it dry on. That will help the skin clear.

ETA: Unlike shampoo based items, Calendula doesn't affect the skin's pH levels and avoids sending the skin into overdrive trying to regain balance. Be careful about bathing/shampooing too often.

Edited by Erny

One or two good malaseb baths is the way to go. Can also use it as a cleaner for the chin of the schnauzer, I would be feeding that dog out of stainless steel bowls and trimming the hair away to let the air get to it.

That looks similar to the spots on my boxer. It's like a pimple/skin allergy, I notice he gets them more closer to spring when the pollen has started which he is allergic too. I find washing him more helps settle things( i use Groomers EPO shampoo) which seems to work ok, maybe a course of anti biotics would help too.