Please Help

Chocolatelover

Louise Steinman is a physio/chiro that works out of the Animal Emergency Centre (just kinda works there without being a vet there if that makes sense). Not sure what days she works but she may be of assistance if it is indeed something to do with his spine or something muscular. Her contact number is 0414 956 417

Sandra isn't back until the 6th unfortunately :(

Thanks everyone :) He is sill whimpering but he did a little poop as well. Thanks for the number DeltaCharlie, I will call as I definately think he has hurt himself now. I woke up this morning to find him sleeping next to me (while my husband was on the couch downstairs :D ). When he was ready to get down he just stood and whimpered, but he managed to get up OK. He used the stairs pretty gingerly too.

He stills seems restless and like he is trying to tell me something with his constant whimpering. Where is a dog whisperer when you need one? :)

If an obstruction has been ruled out, it might be chiropractic.

My dogs' chiro Allan McRae is at Jan Speit's? veterinary practice at Hall every Monday night. Might be worth a visit.

I'd have recommended Sandra Hassett too - pity she's away.

I left a message with the lady DeltaCharlie recommended otherwise will try Allan if I can get in tomorrow night.

Thanks everyone :)

I think an obstruction has been ruled out??? They did an abdominal X-ray at the emergency vet and she couldn't see anything. I have been giving him the laxative that vet gave me since last night. He also had an anti-inflammatory/pain killer last night which were prescribed by the second vet. He did a tiny poo this morning but it was quite hard and crumbly considering he is on laxative :confused:

I might take the day off tomorrow and see if we can get a more definitive answer.

Have you given him any flea or tick treatment products like sentinel spectrum or advantix prior to this coming on?

The symptoms sound similar to what my dog would do after sentinel spectrum.... very wobbly, miserable, wouldn't eat, very restless, kept wanting to drink. Before I realised what it was I had given him the tablet on 3 separate occasions over a 2 year period and hadn't linked the events until the last time when it ended up killing him. He was an old dog, probably couldn't metabolise the poison. I've heard of similar reactions to the spot-on treatments from older dogs too.

X-rays don't pick up all obstructions. They only way to really know is to open them up.

This is very true.

I've unfortunately had a lot more experience with obstructions then I'd like.

My eldest boy (RIP) liked to eat things that didn't show up on xray. We learnt the signs of an obstruction very quickly and took him in right away for surgery. He had three surgeries for obstructions in his life.

I really hope your boy is ok.

Well, I think we've been had!!! By Monday morning he had made a miraculous recovery and was pretty much back to normal. Whimpering had stopped and back to hogging the bed and dragging his toys out all over the house. I really don't know what was going on with him!! You would have sworn he was on death's door if you had seen him the day before :confused:

We have been giving him the anti-inflammatory tablets although only one left so he will be going cold turkey after tomorrow evening.

Thanks for all your help and vet suggestions which will come in useful for future use. The vet did suggest that HD can present as acute flare-ups and X-rays may still be warranted if it happens again?? :crossfingers: he just overdid it with the zoomies.

Thanks again!

I am so glad he is feeling better - just keep things sedentary for a while , to let whatever it was heal /rest ..and hopefully , it won't recur. Mind you ,what you are seeing may well be the effect of the anti inflammatories ... .

fingers crossed!!