Escaping Dog

zifnab

Setting up a camera tonight to confirm that is where she is getting out. Made a few changes to the area so nothing is near the gate.

Also realized the electric fence wouldn't work unless she was also touching the ground, so that is now a double string so if shes climbing she will get a zap. If she still gets out we will find a way to extend the gate to the ceiling with tarps or something.

If that is not where she is getting out, then I guess a dog run will be the only other option. She is a chewer so can't be inside by herself for her saftey and the houses.

Thanks for the idea's, your help is appreciated.

Those cross sections on the gate would be enough for a dog to get pawholds to then heave itself over the top. I'm with others that paling gates/fences can catch paws or collars on the way.

When our small dog was getting out & we couldn't find anyway how, we went out on the footpath with treats and called her. Amazingly, she flattened herself in the boneless way a cat can do & wriggled under the tiny space between the bottom of the big iron gates & the concrete driveway.

Solved that problem by blocking access to the front garden. So I like someone's suggestion of blocking access to wherever your dog's escape point is. And which you'll likely find with the video surveillance.

our back neighbours dog scaled a height of about 9 feet

owner not sure why she suddenly started doing it

got over 5 ft fence

it was raised to about 6 foot

then got to stage it was raised to about 9ft , a heavy metal type construction but had small squares in it , so dog had chance to climb it

then black plastic was placed over it and she had trouble getting over that

BUT she dug under the fence then

I use to hear her trying to get over the fence as it rattled and made a noise then would investigate and would find her in our side neighbours yard and call owner to collect her . lucky the poles on the neighbours gate she couldn't grab hold of to get over that so it kept her safe and not on the road

one day I walked out to my backyard and she was in my yard , she got under the fence

she was determened to get out , as she could hear a puppy over the road from us

I didnt hear her the day she came in my yard as it wasnt the normal racket of her jumping over

she chose a corner of yard that was covered by a shrub and didnt notice the hole

all sealed up and so far she hasnt been out since and no more vet bills to stitch her cut legs up

good luck

We just did this for our houdini today. I got my other girl on a lead and went out the front, she then showed OH exactly how she was getting out

This is how we found out how Bella was escaping. Took Harley for a "walk" and went and hid behind a bush. It didn't take long for her to get out and we seen it all. Although be careful of how desperately your dog wants to get out, Bella tried jumping one of the fences and got her collar caught on the pole, lucky we were right there or she would have died.