Long Line / Leash / Leed

Jozlyn

I just ordered one today actually Jozlyn. I have one but it was Nylon & I have had my share of rope burns so I ordered a Gripe soft one that is not suppose to slip in your hands :crossfingers:

The one I ordered is the official tracking length apparently, 33 feet from K9 Pro online :)

I just ordered one today actually Jozlyn. I have one but it was Nylon & I have had my share of rope burns so I ordered a Gripe soft one that is not suppose to slip in your hands :crossfingers:

The one I ordered is the official tracking length apparently, 33 feet from K9 Pro online :)

What's that in meters? :rofl:

Hi,

I need to get a long line / leed / leash, I'm just wondering how long it should be?

Cheers,

J

What do you want to do with it?

A tracking leash needs to be 33ft/10m, a line for training can be as long or as short as you want it. 15ft/5m is generally long enough IMO.

Showing my age now, aren't I? LOL. 10 metres is 33 feet. I started off with a 5 metre one when dogs are youngsters :)

Showing my age now, aren't I? LOL. 10 metres is 33 feet. I started off with a 5 metre one when dogs are youngsters :)

Nah, I still use feet & inches when talking about height, pounds & ounces for baby weights!

Thanks for the conversion though, I'm actually going to make one, well hubby is lol

Cheers,

J

I have the puppy one from K9 Pro (10m long) which has been good for my pup while he is going through selective deafness,although I always tangle myself up in it!

I like the longer length myself, I was going to make one but the K9 pro one was only $20 so I bought it instead.

I also have a horse lunging lead which has a great handle on the end and is soft in my hands too, I find that this one is fantastic when Im taking my naughty teen out and he wants to gallop around to burn off energy.I have had this one for many years so cant remember how much it cost but I love it :)

Edited by Nariko

I have the puppy one from K9 Pro (10m long) which has been good for my pup while he is going through selective deafness,although I always tangle myself up in it!

I like the longer length myself, I was going to make one but the K9 pro one was only $20 so I bought it instead.

I also have a horse lunging lead which has a great handle on the end and is soft in my hands too, I find that this one is fantastic when Im taking my naughty teen out and he wants to gallop around to burn off energy.I have had this one for many years so cant remember how much it cost but I love it :)

At that price it's much easier just to buy one, I didn't realise they were so cheap! I'd actually been giving some thought this morning to a water skiing rope, it would have a nice firm, easy grip handle on it.

IMO you want a long line to be made of a material that is comfortable to grab onto anywhere on the lead - you don't want to get rope burn if you have to grab it in the middle!

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks Kavik.

Edited by Jozlyn

In honesty, I have never had rope burn from the one i got from K9 pro as i just put my foot on it :) it can also help to tie a few knots in it to aid in the stopping power, it also has the benefit of being day glo orange so easy to see in any terrain :cool:

In honesty, I have never had rope burn from the one i got from K9 pro as i just put my foot on it :) it can also help to tie a few knots in it to aid in the stopping power, it also has the benefit of being day glo orange so easy to see in any terrain :cool:

The K9Pro one is likely fine as it is a designated long line - I was more talking about if you are using a rope (OP was talking about using a water skiing rope)

LOL thanks for the recs guys! I just wanted to add that if rope burn or the line getting easily tangled is a problem consider looking at the gripper long lines, they are rubber impregnated so easy to grab a hold of and don't tangle as easily. I have both types but the gripper I use every day. They are more expensive but also don't hold water and are super light weight.

it also has the benefit of being day glo orange so easy to see in any terrain :cool:

LMAO Abby's collar & leash are both day glo orange too, with reflective stripes, it goes nice with her coat colour and is really easy to see at night.

LOL thanks for the recs guys! I just wanted to add that if rope burn or the line getting easily tangled is a problem consider looking at the gripper long lines, they are rubber impregnated so easy to grab a hold of and don't tangle as easily. I have both types but the gripper I use every day. They are more expensive but also don't hold water and are super light weight.

They look good, but they're a little pricey.

I've just been sitting here thinking about it. I'm always one for quality over quantity, ie buying more than one of a lesser product costs you more in the long run. I'll have to talk to my OH about it first as I have well and truly blown the puppy budget :rofl:

It really just comes down to personal preference and how much you think you'll use it too, plenty of people buy the standard long lines and love them but the grippers are extremely popular. I use long lines pretty much every day so I always use the gripper. Especially if going to the beach or working on wet ground :)