Six Day Old Puppies With Diarrhoea & Crying

pukawidgee

We have a litter of six day old puppies that started having diarrhoea on Saturday. Mum is healthy and not on antibiotics. Milk is normal and there is plenty of it. Puppies are all fat, healthy and gaining weight despite the runny poos but on Sunday one of the bitches started crying. Went to the vet for AB Sunday afternoon and was given Trisoprim of which they should receive 0.1 ml daily. They have had one dose yesterday evening and one at lunchtime today. The bitch puppy that started crying yesterday looked improved this morning - no crying but has started crying again this afternoon and another of the bitch puppies has started crying also. All other puppies are fine thus far, still fat and suckling well but they still have the runny poos. Has anyone got any advice?

Edited by pukawidgee

No the vet didn't examine the puppies. We live out of town and I had family coming through so they met the Vet at the clinic and picked the AB up. Physically apart from the poos and crying they are all looking perfectly healthy. All gaining weight, good colour, no distended bellies or anything. Its so stressful especially when they are so small!

Might be a case of too much of a good thing...I had something similar happen in one my own litters. Puppies were feeding well but it seemed that the milk was a tad too rich and they were gutsing.

We used Protexin and this settled their guts down after a couple of days.

It could be Giardia. When Penny had her puppies they contracted it from her milk. Even though she appeared healthy and the pups were all born healthy as soon as they started to suckle they became infected. It has about a 7-8day incubation period. It took a few days for the vet to diagnose, it was only after a poo sample did they realise, and by then the pups were almost dead. All survived though, it was easily treatable once they knew what it was.

they had the runs, became very dehydrated, then lost the desire or ability to suck, so nearly starved to death. If it wasn't for a dedicated friend who continued to inject them with fluids overnight they would have just quietly faded away and died. I took them to the vet many times, the vet even took them home herself one night and fed them to keep them alive, they'd gain their strength a bit with feeding then poo it all out and become weak again. It was only once they tested the poo they realised what it was. It was treated with a type of antibiotic but I cant remember the name. I had to treat all my dogs, even the adults. Two of those puppies who nearly died are my own Tag and Puck. Tag is actually named after my friend who kept him alive, it's her initials. They grew into big healthy whippets.

I would definitely be asking your vet to test for giardia. Another one they thought it could be at the time was rotavirus.

Edited by Kirislin

They are good :)

We went to the vet this morning and it's just too much rich milk from mum. She did a faecal float to make sure it wasn't anything nasty and that was all clear so we got some medication for the poos and an anti inflammatory for the two girls that were crying. They are all sleeping peacefully now and all gained weight today :)