Toileting Inside

bronsonb

I have a 4 year old Rottie boy who has recently decided he will start peeing inside when we are not home. I am out of the house about 6-7 hours and always when I get home, there it is. He can go 9-10 hours overnight with no problems. Now, I am wondering if he is unhappy with the living arrangements at the moment.. we are renovating our floors and they are covered with cloth and plastic dropsheets while we organise for the tiles to be laid, he only seems to go on the plstic sheets.

Could it be worth a trip to the vet? The fact that he can last overnight suggests that it might not be an infection. My only other option is to start crating him again to see if he pees in there (and also reinforce his hygiene etiquette!!)

Your wonderful DOLers knowledge and experience would be much appreciated.

It reads as though your rottie is confused by the new surface and has to be reminded that outside is the place to go.

Each new house we've moved into we're made sure to go back and reinforce toilet training as each house has had different types of flooring.

Can you block off the area of the house with the plastic covered floors when you're not around?

he only seems to go on the plstic sheets.

...and plastic sheeting, when stored may also be subject to sprays of cat urine , or perhaps even dog urine ....

several scenarios.. now comes the detective work ..health check/urine test ... try inside where there is no plastic ....and so on.

We have a dog like that, he just really fetishes over certain things, like plastic bags and bathmats.

If it's non-medical, nip that sucker in the bud before it becomes a great big thing!

Might also be a stress related UTI or something as simple as that, maybe the noise and new people and things in his house are freaking him out a bit, can't say I really blame him, I get shirty enough when there's road works in our street :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I decided to block off both boys from the areas and only give them access to the carpet and guess what.... no wees. He is a bit of a sensitive soul and was just upset with this nasty stuff covering the floors and perhaps he thought if he did wees on it we might take it away!!! Will have to introduce him slowly when the tiling is done, I don't want him christening them!!

Thanks again.