Belgian Shepherd (groendael) Rescue

We are a relatively new all-breed rescue based in south-east Qld and have rescued a 12 month purebred who was surrendered to a regional Qld pound and was due for euthanasia. By all accounts he is a lovely mannered and natured boy who is in great condition. The local ranger was so taken with him that he posted photos around the town in the hope he could find him a home rather than put him to sleep. We will of course assist him and place him in care but I thought if there was anyone who did breed-specific rescue, they might be a better option for him. Thank you in advance.

PS I can't post photos here but am happy to email them to anyone wanting to see him.

Could you try and track down the breeder? Go to DOL's front page and search for Belgian Shep breeders in QLD.

Or see if there is a breed club in QLD? Either of those options is your best start because the dog is so young. Also, breeders can often tell who bred a certain dog if you send a picture. There are 3 kinds of Belgians I think, not all breeders would breed all three so you could probably easily rule some out.

There is a breed rescue in NSW - Happy Paws Haven at Grafton run by Sally. They are on Petrescue.

Edited by dogmad

Please contact Sally Rogers on 66449936. Sally is at Grafton, she is rescue officer for the Belgian Shepherd Club of NSW. Sally has never been known to turn a Belgian away. :D

If you prefer to e-mail Sally, her e-mail is [email protected]

I do very limited rescue stuff from the other end of NSW, but would be interested in details & pics. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thank you :)

Edited by trifecta

Thank you so much for the suggestions. We would certainly liked to have found his breeder as a first option, I just wasn't sure how to go about that as we have no details of where he came from or his owners. He was rescued from a fairly remote area in central Qld but I am not sure if that is where he came from originally.

I will see how I go with breeders and will contact Sally also.

Thank you again.

Trifecta I have emailed you a photo also :)

Hey there, :wave:

The Queensland Belgian Shepherd Club will be very interested as well as they do help out with rescues in Queensland and Sally Rogers from Happy Paws Haven (as suggested) is fabulous. She has a special love of Belgians and will almost always take them. She's become our breed rescue contact for a couple of our breed clubs as a result.

In the meantime if you need any further help or advice please don't hesitate to PM me.

Cheerio,

Maria

Please contact Sally Rogers on 66449936. Sally is at Grafton, she is rescue officer for the Belgian Shepherd Club of NSW. Sally has never been known to turn a Belgian away. :D

I spoke to Sally by phone recently about a tibbie in Grafton Pound. She's a very nice lady... & she mentioned her love of Belgian Shepherds. I've got her mobile phone no if you want it. PM.

Thank you all for your replies. I spoke with one breeder this afternoon - got the impression it might be hard to track down who bred him. When he arrives on Tuesday we will have him scanned for a chip and see perhaps if the breeder is still noted as a secondary contact.

I also called and left a message for Sally earlier this afternoon.

Hopefully we can sort something out either way. We are more than happy to get his vet work done, but our preference would be that he is in care/his re-homing is overseen by someone who knows the breed well.

Hopefully we can sort something out either way. We are more than happy to get his vet work done, but our preference would be that he is in care/his re-homing is overseen by someone who knows the breed well.

Is he the type of Belgian Shepherd that is extensively used as a police dog? If so... & given he's still young, consider contacting the Q'ld Police Service. The QPS both breeds their own puppies and takes donated dogs.

Couple of years back, a p/b male German Shepherd, also 12 months old, came up on DOL in a similar situation. In pound & ranger wanted to save him. Contact was given for QPS Dog Squad who took him on. If a dog should later fail its training program, the QPS finds it a good pet home.

Edited by mita

Is he the type of Belgian Shepherd that is extensively used as a police dog? If so... & given he's still young, consider contacting the Q'ld Police Service. The QPS both breeds their own puppies and takes donated dogs.

No, mita, that is the Malinois, short coat variety.

Good luck with this dog. I have privately sent details of a home in central Qld that is wanting to adopt the dog - and is a long time Belgian owner. Seems like a perfect solution to save shipping costs to Brisbane. This home is happy to foster while the search continues for the breeder of the dog.

Have the microchip records been checked to see if the breeder is listed as 2nd point of contact?

Dogs Qld has all microchip details on file for pedigree registered dogs (has been mandatory in Qld since Jan 2011 from memory, and Qld was the last state to come on board with this) - once you have the chip number, Dogs Qld can contact the breeder on behalf of Rescue.

Is this a Groenendael (long coated black)?

Is it a male?

Is it neutered?

Any distinguishing markings?

Is it's original pet name known?

There have been photos posted on Face Book (but now the posts are removed), but it is unclear if these were of the actual dog, or a stand-in. If photos of the dog in question can be publicly posted, breeders can diseminate amongst themselves to see if they recognize the breed type as their own. The state breed clubs are always happy to assist by emailing all members.

Yes, Qld does have a Belgian Shepherd Dog Club www.bsdcq.com which runs a breed specific rescue service. The secretary can be contacted at [email protected]

Let us all know more details that can assist each of us to try to find out who the breeder is, and to help find the dog a new home.

I have been able to trace this fellow's breeder through his microchip details. I have left a message for them to get back to me to discuss whether they want him back - that of course will be our priority. If not, then we will look at alternative rehoming options for him.

We don't profess to have particular expertise in the breed so are grateful that if the need arises, there are breed specific rescue options for him.

Thank you again for all the helpful suggestions and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Just an update - the breeder isn't in a position to take 'Jack' back at this stage, so we are looking now at other options. Sally, I understand, has a place for him - if that ends up being the most feasible option (would just need to work out transport logistics).

Thank you again to everyone.