Do Dogs That Live Together Forget Eachother?

TheCheekyMonster

When Gus was a pup we went to Bali for 2 weeks, Gus and Nala were separated, when they were reunited it was a far from easy sailing event..... we put it down to "he was a pup, they havent been together for long enough"..... Nala has now had hear knee operated on, Gus and Nala are with each other all day every day and have been since we brought Gus home, but we have had to separate them due to her being crated all day..... they havent seen eachother for 1.5 weeks (because she gets too excited and runs around)... Gus just sneaked uo stairs and started sniffing the crate... and was excited to see her.... she was far from impressed and started growling... :(

Guest donatella

I don't think so.

My girl sees my mums 3 dogs maybe once every 2 months and they all remember each other (as in they hate her and she annoys them lol). Mine is funny with strange dogs but remembers my mums dogs even after weeks of visiting and runs up to them for licks and hellos even though they are old and not up to her energy. There is no way she'd do that to a strange dog ever!

Sounds like the poor mite is in pain and re-cooperating. The growl could be a "bugger off i'm sick and don't want anyone near me".

Dogs gets grumpy when they are in pain and don't want anyone near them. Charlie is like that with Em and Skeeter.

When Emmy isn't feeling great, she has her bitch pant on which means, she wants nothing to do with Charlie or Skeeter.

We have quite a few dogs that have stayed with us and my crew always remember them. Even if they haven't seen them in a year.

I get worried whenever something like this happens, Nala gets so darn snappy and Gus unsure... she has never been crated before up until this point so I didnt think she would be terriorial over it, its actually his crate hahah, I guess once her leg is all healed up and a month has passes we can try through the fence or something.

I don't think so.

When we travelled overseas for a year our friends looked after our GSD, while a different friend looked after our cat. When we got back we took both animals home and they sniffed noses, and were just like they had been a year earlier when they left... This was a dog that was a really bad cat chaser too.

If you get worried about how they'll react, one or both are probably picking on your anxiety.

Its Nala that reacts, Gus has no problem... but on both occasions its like she doesnt know who he is for a few hours, gets really nervious about his presents, starts to arc up....I guess gus forgets all sorts of manners because its her, the female he licks the face of 24 hours a day hahah...hopefully when she is all healed up she isnt so nervious I think you guys are right re: pain and her being on edge and not bothered for puppy nonsense.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Dogs aren't stupid - she won't have forgotten - there is something else going on here which probably has more to do with her not wanting to be bothered by him. She could be territorial over the crate whether she's been crated before or not, this really isn't relevant IMO

Dogs aren't stupid - she won't have forgotten - there is something else going on here which probably has more to do with her not wanting to be bothered by him. She could be territorial over the crate whether she's been crated before or not, this really isn't relevant IMO

Whatever it is, I would like to know....wish I had a live in behaviourist!! would be interesting to see their opinion on how my dogs interact...... im sure in general there is a lot I miss interpret.